Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FTL demo is out !

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Mortmal, Mar 2, 2012.

1. MisterStone Augur

MisterStone
    Yeah the onlive folks at least have some balls, IMHO. They're sort of taking a gamble on networking infrastructure improving drastically in the next 5-10 years I guess. It's probably worth it... I mean, back in the day people kept saying Amazon was never going to be profitable, etc. due to distributing issues and online security/payment problems.
    ^ Top  
  2. Stabwound Magister

Stabwound
    The technology behind OnLive is cool, but you have to realize that it will probably be the future of DRM. It really is the ultimate piracy stopper, because there's absolutely no way you can crack it or pirate it. Once technology is advanced far enough that most people can use OnLive or a similar service it will probably become the primary way games are sold.

Current network infrastructure, especially in North America, is nowhere near ready for something like OnLive to be widely-used, but that time is coming and I think it's how publishers will protect their shit.

I can't wait!!!!!!!!
    ^ Top  
  3. Mortmal Magister

Mortmal
    Yep facebook games with micropayments like farmville and AAA titles you can play on litterally any device , phone, tv set , consoles, any low tech terminal , connected to onlive or something similar.Thats the future, and that wont get you any brofists, people dont like to hear the truth :) .Youth and common people no longer buy home pc, no its all about ipads , iphone, their new samsung galaxy, those devices are perfect for a service like onlive, i am sure youll be able to play the new crysis with high res graphics on those devices very soon.Oh you could argue there will be development on the pc from indies, but even todays theres really few and even for niche games like KOTC, COE etc, people are reluctant to pay 20 -25$,and just torrent it, no way it will keep going like this.
    I can understand how people who never bought any games can be butthurt with onlive, as its clearly the future and the death of piracy.It works surprinsingly well for me.
    ^ Top  
  4. Berekän Prophet

Berekän
    The amount of bullshit on your post is unbearable
    ^ Top  
  5. Mortmal Magister

Mortmal
  6. Deakul Learned

Deakul

An AMD Athlon XP 2800+.
    :oops:
    ^ Top  
  7. Mikayel Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Mikayel
    So, is there a single recent game that's being made that isn't being crowd-funded?
    ^ Top  
  8. Brayko Liturgist Patron

Brayko
    Guess not. This whole Kickstarter business is getting too rapid for my taste, it's even moved on to AAA shooters. :decline:
    ^ Top  
  9. Mikayel Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Mikayel
    Sounds like a neat premise, really does, but it reeks of temporary-fad -- and the idea is somewhat ridiculous in and of itself. Preemptively donating to companies so they can later sell you a product? Shit like the Minecraft Beta at least gave you early access and a free full version later.

Having read how much was donated to Giant in the Playground it honestly scared the fuck out of me.
    ^ Top  
  10. Semper Learned

Semper
    MCA Project: Eternity
    bullshit. with the minimum donation you'll always buy the game. the devs sell only to people who never supported the product in the development process.

@ftl: onlive sux! i'll wait for proper demo.
    ^ Top  
  11. Norfleet Magister

Norfleet
    Unless they figure out how to defeat the speed of light, "Onlive" will never substitute for real games. What's more, the hardware industry will ultimately oppose this simply because it will completely destroy their business as people NO LONGER BUY NEW COMPUTERS.
    ^ Top  
  12. mkultra Educated

mkultra
    You mean an old school shooter, quite a difference from the current crap "AAA" shooters... FPS games used to be a lot of fun.

Can't see how anyone can be negative about something where the devs are in full control with help from fans, instead of the publishers + it's not like you're forced to buy, keep buying your "AAA" games and be happy if that's what you prefer..
    ^ Top  
  13. Brayko Liturgist Patron

Brayko
    I was actually intrigued by the thought of crowd funding but once everyone starts getting carried away with it that's when you know it's gonna just be an advanced pre-order system for the same old shit that has been selling millions in the past decade. I was hoping that crowd funding would be the silent killer of the industry juggernauts not the "new shit".
    ^ Top  
  14. mkultra Educated

mkultra
    It's "carried away" just because there are fans of old school shooters just as well as there's fans for old school RPG's? We still haven't seen the outcome of any big crowd funded game, AFAIK. Whatever, keep buying your AAA games or indie games with a $100 budget and be happy.
    ^ Top  
  15. Brayko Liturgist Patron

Brayko
    Yeah you completely missed my point, but whatever, go PMS somewhere.
    ^ Top  
  16. Mikayel Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Mikayel
    In this case, yeah 10 dollars gets you the game, tho you can pledge less (but in that case you're just donating, so whatever). But I'm not referring to specifically this instance, rather Kickstarting/crowd-funding in general. The system just throws off so many red-flags, and while I'd like to welcome it as some kind of grass-roots benevolence, it leaves questions of who retains creative control -- what happens when a major donater doesn't get a product they approve, is there influence lobbed in from large donaters, etc.

Just... weird. If it works, then all the better, but we are seeing its infancy and potentially bottle-rocket like early-pop phase. I am curious how long it will last and how effective it will be.

EDIT: ^^ jesus, wtf is is with the polarized responses?
    ^ Top  
  17. mkultra Educated

mkultra
    I'm not the one who's angry we happen to have a new option for getting higher budget indie games. Go cry to mommy and play your derp console RPG's.
    ^ Top  
  18. Destroid Arcane

Destroid
    I welcome the day we can transmit information faster than light.
    ^ Top  
  19. MisterStone Augur

MisterStone
    Guys guys paying money for a game before its development is completed is totally BULLSHIT, yo. I mean, look at Mount and Blade, I paid $10 for the Mount and Blade Beta like 7 years ago, and they never made a fun and unique game out of that did they? :troll:
    ^ Top  
  20. Mikayel Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Mikayel
    Not at all -- that kind of setup is totally fine because there's a tangible product you get. Paying for an alpha is fine to some extent too. It's why I said with Minecraft you got a beta that was already well on the way and the full game when it was finished. Paying for the vague promise of a game is something a bit trickier.

Basically, you guys are taking the concerns here and spinning them into ridiculous word-in-mouth strawmen and going off it. To go back to the point, is no one else even vaguely confused about how big of a trend this became?

It's not that I'm against it, I'm just really wary of it. Seems like an easy way to scam people.
    ^ Top  
  21. mkultra Educated

mkultra
    Is there a really successfull kickstarter project yet that isnt either in Alpha or have some big name in it (yes i doubt either Fargo or Schafer would scam anyone)? I'm not confused that a few developers got interested after Schafer's success, i would too if i was a developer, having a publisher must be a real pain in the ass sometimes, especially if you're interested in realising your ideas, and not the publisher's.
    ^ Top  
  22. Mikayel Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Mikayel
    I don't know, to be honest. I just know that within a month this shit is popping everywhere. And really, as neat as Giant in the Playground is, is there any reason that a webcomic needs 1.2+ million dollars? I mean, look at this shit -- http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599092525/the-order-of-the-stick-reprint-drive . I'm stoked for the dude, but holy crap -- just so the dude can make reprints? The donation at 10 bucks only gets you one pdf of a story (not even a full book).

We're talking games here, specifically, but my concerns are about kickstarters in general.
    ^ Top  
  23. mkultra Educated

mkultra
    Wow, 1.2 million dollars for a webcomic, yeah that confuses the hell out of me i must say, this dude has a lof of fans it seems.
    ^ Top  
  24. Mikayel Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Mikayel
    Pretty much. Someone donated 5,000 dollars. Someone else donated 4,000 dollars.

Really. I just... yeah it's their money and all that but... what the fuck.
    ^ Top  
  25. MisterStone Augur

MisterStone
    If someone has made something and they have 100k fans who are willing to give then $10 a piece, then good for them I say. The Internet has made this possible, why should it not be done? People like to support those who make things they enjoy, and this is a way to do that effectively.
    Kz3r0 Brofists this.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)