Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News FTL: Advanced Edition Released

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Meh, not too exciting. Why? Because Out There has been released on Android for quite some time now, and kicks the ever-loving shit out of FTL.

You want to play a real, rogue-like space game? Load up Out There. It's a thousand times better, you'll wonder what you were thinking when you installed FTL.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.miclos.google.games.outthere

Apples and oranges. Plant!

yes, apples and oranges; one is a pew-pew space Mario brothers, and one is an adventure fit for the adult mind.

I would be inclined to take a look but three of the screenshots are of the main menu ...

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Hello fellow Role Playing Game Codexierians! Do you like Rpg? Try the most best Rpg brought to you by Rpg Company. For the the most rolls and the best turn bases ever made for the home computing machine. I do not work for Rpg Company at all, I am just worlds biggest fan. Trust me.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I would be inclined to take a look but three of the screenshots are of the main menu ...

Yeah, I didn't like that either. These days, though, I always go on youtube and check out the game before I press buy. Here are some youtube links or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzZZNuGurqM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF5UIhqvh_s
is that comic sans italic? 'cos it looks a lot like comic sans... with some very minor modifications.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've played like 10 and I can't say anything sticks out! But it's a very random game and I have been dreadfully bad at it. (It's REALLY HARD now... on Normal.)

tindrli

Arcane

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I've played like 10 and I can't say anything sticks out! But it's a very random game and I have been dreadfully bad at it. (It's REALLY HARD now... on Normal.)

And there is a hard mode now :D

Well there are little tricks to know that can help you improve dramatically and that was valid before the expansion. Stuff like prioritising a second level of shield in the first sector will help through encounters in the second and third sectors, but don't buy it ASAP as you may find a store with a good item in the first sector; if you got the crew for it, having a teleporter or cloak at the start can be a great help and it's better to keep your scrap for something that will help you immensely than spending it as soon as you got it. After all you can upgrade your ship pretty much anytime but stores are more infrequent.

Speaking of scrap, you probably know this already but you do not want to spend it too much on repairs. If you do then you can't spend it on upgrades and eaquipment, meaning you'll take more damage, meaning you'll need to spend more scrap on repairs that you won't spend on upgrades, etc. I often go low on damage in the early sectors as I can easily find ways to mitigate it (second level of shields) and that means I may be able to buy a good weapon or piece of equipment that will let me turn the situation around by sector 3 or 4 by making encouters easier and thus providing more scrap. Speaking of buying, crew is usually a poor purchase option unless you have a special need; the game usually gives you many opportunities to gain crew through various events and encounters.

Doors level 2 is a pretty good upgrade and very cheap. It lets you deal with fires and boarders easier while letting the rest of the crew operate the ship. Some say you should get it ASAP but I disagree and prefer to keep scrap for a second layer of shields or a good purchase first. Consider upgrading by sector 3 or even 4. Other upgrades like sensors or the auto-pilot aren't worth it except to get some blue options on special encounters. If I get those it's only for fun and much later in the game after I got essential stuff.

Remember you can save power by turning off some systems you don't need! The medbay rarely needs to be on at all time and you can easily re-route power from the oxygen to engines to get a bit more dodge when the enemy fires. In fact you can have your engines unpowered until the enemy fires something, at which point you can pause the game, re-route power to fill the engines, see if you dodge and then unpower the engines. As long as the projectile hasn't reached your ship, it hasn't been decided if you are hit or dodged it. If they have ion weapons, you can also unpower the shields before it hits you so they won't be disabled; maybe another system will be hit but an ion shot on a shield layer means they will be disabled if you don't dodge and that can often mean you'll take a laser volley in your face right after. That kind of stuff takes practice but it can help a lot in the early game.

Don't bother to train your crew by having them dodge during weak enemy encounters. Yes, the little bonus you get to dodge or shield regen is always welcome but it can be tedious and you'll get it eventually. That said I sometimes do that when I know I want to run to the bathroom or make a sandwich and know for a fact I won't be hit instead of pausing the game.

This takes experience and practice or simply spoilers but know which events can result in a bad loss. For exemple never try the alien spiders event unless you got a blue option as it may result in the loss of a crew member and the rewards in case of success usually do not compare to the risk involved. Of course you do not need spoilers and it's fun to experiment but once you know, just make a note of not taking unecessary risks. You probably already know that one but it is worth repeating as I always decided to try every event which resulted in loss for me. Only after I decided to restrain myself did I actually manage to make some progress.

Little detail: never repair your hull to full. Try to keep it to 25 if you got scraps for repairs because some events may results in having some damage repaired for free. If you are already at full hull, that gift is lost and that's scrap you could have kept for upgrades.

The game is random, and that's in its nature, but I've learned that if you know how to maximise your chances and minimise your risks and making the correct call about the order of upgrades or purchases and knowing when to run and when to fight then you can often win against bad luck. And I'm still learning which is the mark of a good game.

Misconnected

Savant

Yeah, I didn't like that either. These days, though, I always go on youtube and check out the game before I press buy. Here are some youtube links or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzZZNuGurqM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF5UIhqvh_s

Note to self: don't record gameplay commentary when you've just been to the dentist and your tongue's still anaesthetised.

Seriously the guy sounds like his tongue is 5-6 sizes too large for his mouth :D

Snozgobler

Educated
I beat the flag ship a few minutes ago. Was playing with the Zoltan Cruiser A. Was lucky enough to find a shop selling the weapon pre-igniter in zone 1, which made all zone 1, 2 and 3 fights easy. At the flag ship I had mind control, hack, 4x shield, 7/8 engines, 7/8 weapons
Key things for winning:
Mind control the enemy pilot -> 0 dodge chance for the ship
2x 6sec reload Ion cannons -> Take down shields/super shield
Halberd beam -> Actually damage the ship
Hack -> Stop enemy ship hacking me (they had the hack on my weapons bay, so every time they switched it on, I switched mine on to turn off their hack and get my weapons back)
In the 3rd fight where they don't have a hacking bay I used my hack on their mind control to stop them mind controlling me.

I only barely won. My ship exploded and I was like "Noooooooooo" then I saw it say I won and noticed that my Halberd beam had hit them at the same time and both ships had blown up xD

Modron

Arcane
Mind control the enemy pilot -> - manned bonus and half evasion.

Fixed, just thought I would point out that this key step is incorrect as the flagship has an upgraded pilot station, meaning autopilot grants it a percentage of normal evasion.

Snozgobler

Educated
Thanks Modron. I didn't notice any of my shots miss while the pilot was mind controlled, but I guess I was just lucky. I checked and in AE it's actually 80% evade retained by a max upgraded pilot bay while unmanned

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
never send crew to help with space spiders
I beat the flag ship a few minutes ago. Was playing with the Zoltan Cruiser A. Was lucky enough to find a shop selling the weapon pre-igniter in zone 1, which made all zone 1, 2 and 3 fights easy. At the flag ship I had mind control, hack, 4x shield, 7/8 engines, 7/8 weapons
Key things for winning:
Mind control the enemy pilot -> 0 dodge chance for the ship
2x 6sec reload Ion cannons -> Take down shields/super shield
Halberd beam -> Actually damage the ship
Hack -> Stop enemy ship hacking me (they had the hack on my weapons bay, so every time they switched it on, I switched mine on to turn off their hack and get my weapons back)
In the 3rd fight where they don't have a hacking bay I used my hack on their mind control to stop them mind controlling me.

I only barely won. My ship exploded and I was like "Noooooooooo" then I saw it say I won and noticed that my Halberd beam had hit them at the same time and both ships had blown up xD
on what difficulty was this?

tindrli

Arcane
never send crew to help with space spiders

yesterday i encountered them 2 times in a same playthrough and both times i didnt had blue option and i didnt lose any crew member.
maybe the mission is broken somehow. I did play advanced mode.
And Yes. also there was a mission with an alien who wanted me to guess number of moons in a system and i did a lucky guess, then he joined my crew but he never appeared on ship.

apart from that all cool

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom