Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frozen State - Russian post-apocalyptic Syberian RPG

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Frozen State is a game about the adversities faced whilst existing and surviving in a dying Siberian city, Duga 40.

The city has been infested by an extraterrestrial parasite that has obliterated the native population. Once infected, the parasite causes its victims to become vicious alien hybrids…
However, the grotesquely disfigured creatures are not the only menace that threatens the surviving citizens – hunger, and the bitter Siberian cold will force them to behave in a Machiavellian fashion with one another.

Frozen State is still in development, and media demonstrations so far represent early stages of the game. Some features have not yet been implemented or may not work properly. However we are continually working to improve Frozen State and eagerly anticipate its release.

Main Features:
• Three main characters - each with their own different playing style.
• Diverse enemies
• Open world - the city consists of separate locations sewn together in random order with every new session.
• Dynamic weather conditions
• Randomly generated building interiors
• Stealth
• Crafting
• Transport
• Basic needs (hunger, thirst, sleep, shelter)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/270270/?snr=1_7_15__13

The dudes faile KS campaign, but managed to get greenlit and went the EA way, now it is in Alpha state.

Not that I'm looking forward to play this game, but maybe someone will be interested. Besides it has some exotic Russian/USSR setting.

Weasel
I'm starting to get a bit mixed up with all these Russian post-apoc games supposedly in development. This, Insomnia, that Project:Serenity thread in the workshop....

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm starting to get a bit mixed up with all these Russian post-apoc games supposedly in development. This, Insomnia, that Project:Serenity thread in the workshop....
The thing is - Fallout and post-apocalypse in general are very popular in Russia. That's why everyone wants to make their "own Fallout" and now as the game development tools became more accessible and easy to acquire our Russian post-apoc projects start to appear.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Well slavs have crafting cynical, melancholic, and/or depressing atmospheres down to a fucking science, so them and the post-apocalyptic genre are a match made in heaven.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Interesting how original Fallouts, games set in US, have most dedicated fans in East Europe. I remember years ago going to one small town here in Croatia and seeing one sunglasses shop having vault boy as a mascot painted on the wall.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah easter europe loves generally RPGs.
You can still buy without any problem Fallout in any PC games shop same with other classics like baldurs or icewind dale.

Well they at least will be prepared when real nukes will fly

Perkel

Arcane

Elfberserker

Liturgist
It still deserve to burn in hell.
Especially 10 hour loop. I wouldn't even make my worse enemy to listen that for 10 hours.
:fight:

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
:necro:

Still in alpha. Are these guys progressing at all? Any news on when the beta stage is expected?

I think it is decent right now, as a rogue-like (-ish) pure survival/crafting game, apart from the awkward movement/camera positioning fiddling: my character is always skating sideways or doing moonwalks.

norolim

Arcane
Another
:necro:

Finished this game a while ago. It's a survival game with some RPG elements. It's OK, if you like free roaming survival games with complex crafting and a lot of mircro management. Skip, if you're looking for a good or even decent RPG.

Like all other Russian games, it's set in a post-apocalyptic world with mutants. The authors were clearly inspired by Fallout and as a result some gameplay elements, like travelling on the world map and using Luch 12 the "personal information assistant" will feel familiar. When you start the game, you select a character from 3 predefined ones - there is no character creation. There are skills but you don't gain experience. Instead, you spend a special resource, randomly dropped by defeated enemies, to increase your stats. The skills are a mixed bag. Some of them significantly affect gameplay, others seem to be completely useless. There is very little dialogues and decision making, so don't expect C&C in the traditional sense. The story is basic but non-linear. You can do the main tasks in any order but there isn't much variety. Combat is real-time and shit. You can whack enemies with various melee weapons or shoot them from a distance. Both methods have disadvantages: shooting will likely alert other mutants in the area, and fighting in close contact usually results in injuries you have to manage.

Survival mechanics are quite complex. You have to manage hunger, thirst, fatigue & temperature. As mentioned before, getting hit by enemies can result in injuries, including bone fracture, poisoning and burns. Some of those slowly deplete your HP, others affect your movement & performance in combat. All of this is supported by an intricate, intuitive but very unbalanced crafting system. You can produce weapons, armour, medical resources etc. but also upgrade your gear.

I encountered a few bugs and suffered a few crashes.

All in all, a solid survival game that will likely confuse most game journos, but if you're looking for a decent RPG, look elsewhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom