Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Frontiers Interview at Worlds Factory

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Frontiers; Kickstarter

You may recall Frontiers from one of our Kickstarter round-ups. It's an exploration-focused RPG inspired by Daggerfall. Since we lasted posted about it, Frontiers has been more than fully funded -- it's currently at $120,000 with just 3 days left to go, and quite a few stretch goals have already been achieved.

So here's the latest interview about the game to help you get a better idea of what it's trying to do and whether it may be your thing:

You said that exploration is the main focus of the game, but there’s a big question to be asked here – do you plan to reward it with actual powers, items, skills etc. or do you intend it to be a reward in itself? Because for some that would be enough, while others are always looking to get something out of their invested time, so they probably wouldn’t like to spend a lot of time exploring some land and getting nothing in return.

Rewards are essential. My first thought when I started working on it was the most obvious thought – remove *everything* not directly related to exploration. But I found that this resulted in the most boring game imaginable. There’s the urge to see what’s around the next bend, but that’s not enough on its own – over time I found that exploration has a lot more to do with choices than I originally thought – while walking in the woods I’d pay close attention to what interested me about one direction vs. another, and I found that I was always making calculations.

Can I get back before it’s dark? Will my boots hold up to that mud? That’s when I started introducing survival elements into the game, and the fun started to reappear. The trick is knowing when to stop, and knowing what kinds of choices facilitate exploration vs. stifling it. I think a lot of the choices developers made in the TES series stifled exploration.

Closely tied with exploration is the survival aspect. You stated that survival elements in Frontiers will be “engaging and fun without being oppressive”, but practically speaking, what will happen to those who do not manage to stay fed & warm in the game?

They’ll suffer a bit, and they’ll have to be more careful, but they won’t die unless they’re on hardcore mode. The thing I wanted to avoid was what I call ‘alarm clock’ survival, where everything’s fine until BEEP BEEP you’ve got to feed yourself, and the game stops being fun until you do. I’ve tried to focus on rewards instead of penalties – being smart about food doesn’t just hit snooze on the alarm clock but actually gives you tangible bonuses. I’ve also tried to tie survival mechanics into other mechanics like magic and crafting so that staying fed and warm don’t feel disconnected from the rest of the game.

Regarding combat, you mentioned how stealth and magic would help those players who’d rather avoid it. Would it be possible to go on in the game and perhaps even complete the main storyline using a non-lethal approach? Also, is there a skillcap or can players just become masters of everything after playing enough hours?

Yes, you can avoid combat altogether if you like. That was key for me, because it was combat above all else that would frustrate me when trying to explore in Elder Scrolls games. I enjoy a good hardcore RPG as much as the next guy but come on I just want to see that waterfall! Similarly there are no skill caps. The more skills you learn and use, the more opportunities you’ll have to explore the world. No limitations.​

Full interview here.
Spotted at RPGWatch

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
It's going to be very interesting to see how the typical bethfan reacts to this game once it's out.

If it comes out that is, it's rather ambitious for a 1-man project. Here's hoping for the best!

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's going to be very interesting to see how the typical bethfan reacts to this game once it's out.
You say it as if the typical bethfan is some kind of Beth jihadi who is always on the prowl for unbelievers and heretics and who mercilessly pounces every time gaming heresy is committed, such as releasing a non-Beth-sanctioned open-world exploration-based sandbox game. Who gives a shit what the typical bethfan will think about it? Most of them are mentally deficient enough to never leave their comfort zone, so they'll never even hear about it or consider it not majestic enough because it doesn't have enough shaders.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
You say it as if the typical bethfan is some kind of Beth jihadi who is always on the prowl for unbelievers and heretics and who mercilessly pounces every time gaming heresy is committed, such as releasing a non-Beth-sanctioned open-world exploration-based sandbox game. Who gives a shit what the typical bethfan will think about it? Most of them are mentally deficient enough to never leave their comfort zone, so they'll never even hear about it or consider it not majestic enough because it doesn't have enough shaders.
That's not what I meant though, I'm just curious if the bethfans will like the game or not, or even find out it exists.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The odd outlier is what would make it interesting - you know, that kind of person, who buys BG because it's a BW RPG and then start several forum thread complaining how it has nothing to do with Mass Effect.

Self-Ejected

Cosmic Misogynerd

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah. I initially backed it but pulled back cause I don't really think that one VFX dude can make this kind of game. I like hiking simulators, but exploration being the main focus and a rather popamole approach to survival makes me wary of this game.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I liked the pitch video, but it is not one of my favored genre. Wandering for the sake of wandering is awesome in mmos with world pvp, but in single player games it gets boring fast.

MCA
Well, the co-op is in plus modding, so I'm certain something good can be made out of it even if the vanilla content will suck. I'm backing this bitch for modding + co-op alone. Plus the guy seems to have firm grasp on the technical jargon, giving me confidence that he knows what he's talking about and the amount of work he has already done speaks to it which is rather rare among Kickstarter projects. I expect a 6 month delay but I also have confidence that he will pull it through and it will be worth it.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Well, the co-op is in plus modding, so I'm certain something good can be made out of it even if the vanilla content will suck.

Question is, if that matters a shit, though. You know, there are plenty of games, even considered good, that can be modded, but there is only a handful of them (and that is exaggeration) that have anything good in mod department...

MCA
Indeed but that mostly depends on the modding capabilities, quality of the modding tools and the (relative) quality of the vanilla content. TES games get a gazillion mods because they meet all three requirements (on top of being popular games). There is already a huge, developed world with (relatively) interesting content that can easily be expanded upon or improved.

Anyway, almost unbelievable:

ZMHzmJM.jpg

MCA
Anyone willing to pool money for a Codex Cemetery?

Apparently, you will be able to buy add-ons through August after the KS ends tomorrow.

gpSPozA.png

Names, causes of death and epitaphs. Either donors or a list of names we'd agree on.

I'm serious about this.

MCA
This is only for the cemetery (ie. grave add-ons), for which we have more than a month but you have to have backed prior at some level. Any backer -I or somebody else- can pay for the addons with the money we collect.

Apparently, you will be able to buy add-ons through August after the KS ends tomorrow.

Otherwise, I doubt we'd gather enough for the cheapest big pledge rewards available at $2000. Pity, though, we could easily have gotten ourselves an inn or a building of questionable repute (at $330 and $300), I think.

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is a weak spamming campaign, clearly you should go with mass tagging again. Gotta keep that high profile.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He reached his last stretch goal. Here's the update:

Project Update #29: Time for some SERIOUS BUSINESS
Posted by Lars Simkins​

Hello, everyone and WELCOME to all new backers! I'll keep this short and sweet because we've got a big post-campaign update coming:
We've just hit our FINAL STRETCH GOAL!

AKA the Serious Business stretch goal. Why are you celebrating? Stop dancing, this is serious business. I SAID THIS IS SERIOUS! Okay, here's how this stretch goal works:
  • You will submit feature requests. It can be anything - let your imagination run wild.
  • I will go over those requests, merge similar features and compile everything into a master list.
  • When the backer's survey is sent out in August, you'll vote for the features you want most.
  • The top 3 most-requested features will end up in the final game!
What kinds of feature requests are allowed?

It's literally impossible for me to predict what people will ask for. So let's not worry about rules just yet - for now just submit the features you want no matter how implausible, and if it's something that's impossible for technical reasons or if it breaks the game for tone / lore / gameplay reasons, I'll mark it as vetoed and explain my reasoning. (You'll have the option to resubmit altered requests as well.)
Won't this break the game?

I won't let that happen - requests that compromise core features somehow will be left out. I definitely want you all to have fun with this and I'm happy to honor unexpected / unusual requests, but that doesn't extend to ruining the game. So don't worry! FRONTIERS will remain My-Little-Pony-free. :D
What's the deadline?

Feature requests have to be submitted by August 5th or they won't make it into the survey.(I've added this deadline to the backer's calendar)
Where can I see the feature list?

It's in a shared google doc - CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE LIST!
I'm in! How do I submit features?

Using a handy-dandy google form - CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT A FEATURE!
Submit as many as you like! Just makes sure to put a bit of effort into the descriptions, and do check the spreadsheet to see if your feature is there before submitting - the fewer redundant entries I have to merge the happier you'll make me. :D
That's all for now - apart from a big serious THANK YOU for bringing the campaign this far!
Cheers,
- L

People are already asking for derpy things like iPhone/ Pad and console ports, pets (cows, really), house decorator, etc. :roll:

evdk

Patron
This is a terrible idea that will only lead to tears, bitter resentment and drama. Oh wait, that makes it the best idea yet.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Jebus. Developer 101: NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE implement anything into your game from the general public. They are fucking retards (with a very few occasional people with very good ideas).

MCA
I love how the idea is to get feature requests and people submit banal and stupid shit like:

Boomerang weapon. Honestly this is pretty self explanatory. Throw it, hit stuff, catch it, rinse and repeat. This would be SO much fun!

A learn-able, improvable talent/skill that allows you to talk to animals to get help, or stop them being agro at you.
eg: you could ask wolves or pets to scout an area for enemies for you, or provide a distraction when trying to sneak past mobs.
Great for character building with your pet, and could also be funny when you say "hello" to a lion and it'd be all
"WTF? HUMANS CAN'T TALK!" or
"Hey Clarence! Look at this! A talking human... Or did I eat the wrong berries again?"

In-game photography. Maybe you want to record some heiroglyphics you found, maybe you just want to record a particularly scenic vista. Sure, you could just take a screenshot, but it's much nicer and more convenient to be able to access your photo album without having to leave the game. Presumably this would be explained through some sort of magical device. Crystal ball, perhaps, or a magical tome of memory storage?

Add a bunch of places of special significance, that are next to impossible to actually get into but bring you great glory if you do: brave the tallest peak in the world, seek out a hidden ancient grove from the middle of a vast forest, discover the bottom of a legendary deep cave, and so forth. Each of them would contain their own set of unique and deadly challenges to get through, taking the shape of monsters, puzzles, natural hazards, and things even weirder. Sometimes you might have to visit the ends of the earth, and find something else of vast significance, before you are even allowed to try: for instance, you couldn't very well open the dungeon's cyclopean stone door without the key to it, which has last been rumoured to have been on sale in an auction in a city on the other side of the continent...

If you do get to the very end, though, the rewards are great. There will be treasure, prestige, glory, and of course, a great deal of satisfaction and joy of finally getting through that damn thing.

MCA
I want the world to be ever changing, that it developes even when you are not playing. Like there are cities being built while you are offline and seasons passing. Even baby animals evolving.

I wonder if he even knows WTF he just pledged to.

Pilgrims that roam the roads. Small groups of monks/priests/holy men, larger groups of peasants walking a march of redemption and maybe the sole paladin going about his business.

Including many different orders, maybe even ones that you anger by helping another group would be nice. A thousand cities, a thousand gods I say.

This was a stretch goal FFS.

As a female gamer I would really like the option of being able to change my hair style (please have long hair options). So, having a salon to go to would be great. Also, I would like to be able to go to a clothing shop and buy different kinds of clothes and shoes, for when I am not out adventuring. I don't want to tailor them myself. I want to go shopping! The only adventure style game I have seen this in was Anarchy Online. Funcom did it great. And lastly I want to be able to decorate my house with more than just furniture options. IE: pictures, plants, rugs, etc etc.

For a moment, I wondered if this was a troll but you can tell it's not by what she wrote to the name field: "Theresa Rienzi (wife of David Thomas :) "

There could be a few custom scenarios, takes place in a set location. Think scooby-doo-esque mystery to be solved, maybe there's a monster terrorizing a village and you have to find the clues and uncover where the monster resides before it can be stopped. Or, there's a vampire/wolfman, and you have to find a special artifact before he turns everyone into a zombie/vampire/walrus. Lots of possibilities for scnearios.

I would like the opportunity to find a wife and possibly start a family. This does not have to be an NPC but there could be a 'dating' agency in each town that you could visit and your wife would life at your home.

LOL

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom