Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From the Depths

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, anyone had a go at this yet? I tried to look up for a thread, but could not find any.

Anyways, it is right now for sale (EUR 3.99 at my region).

Description:

Summary
In From the Depths you can build and take first-person command of battleships, planes, submarines, space ships, hot air balloons and more! The game is currently in alpha and contains a wide range of single player content including:
  • A creative mode allowing you to push your designs to the limit and ensure the total annihilation of your opponents.
  • A campaign waged over hundreds of islands against eight unique factions.
  • A Story Mode where you can (eventually!) play 15 missions as each of the eight factions - a fantastic mixture of strategy, design and wild battles! Defend your fleet against waves of enemy forces in a series of extremely tough challenges that unlock new components.
An expansive multiplayer and co-op element is planned for the coming months!

Disclaimer: Don't know if this is the right subforum, as it appears that there are some strategic elements to this game as well, but to me it looks more like a builder than anything.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I think it's all right to post it here. I also post these EA type build-what-you-want Steam experiments here.

As to the game, it could be interesting let us know if it is any good. I had looked at some of these generic games myself but most of them were shit, so I no longer get them in EA.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
If you want something underwater that is definitely decent and playable get Subnautica. I can fully recommend that one, can't say that about many other games.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ok, bought it for 4 EUR, haven't tested yet.

It comes with this series of rather pleasantly narrated tutorials, which show that both its inventory management and block placing features are a considerable step up from, say, Space Engineers.

Have a look at the very first one:

Particularly saving and using your own pre-fabs (prefabricated constructions) across vehicles/bases seems nice.

Destroid

Arcane
The building system is very effective in this game, much easier to build stuff than in minecraft or robocraft. Dunno if the strategy part is any good I've just built things and had them fight in the arena.

Hupu

Literate
It's the best 'build shit' game out of all the minecrafts and Space Engineers, if you can work around the obtuse UI, and put some time into watching/reading the tutorials.
What makes it the best out of the genre is that there's quite a lot of systems at play. You not only design the hull of the ship, but for example also have to build a turret's internal systems (cooling vents, loading belts etc.), down to even designing what the shell is built like (AP head penetrates armor well, but the increased shell velocity makes it more prone to be deflected by enemy energy shields, you have a variety of fuse types to determine when to explode the warhead, you can build flak pom-pom ammo for AA purposes, neat stuff like that).
Same with engines, targeting/detection systems.
You always want to build your ships, especially the bigger ones, with redundancy in mind, because it's quite easy to blow up enemy ammo stores and you don't wanna place your fuel right next to that. Just gives all those cool lego blocks actual purpose as you gotta consider their price, weight, buoyancy etc., which I can't really say about Space Engineers. There's quite a lot of customization to the vehicle's AI behavior to tinker with, you can set individual turrets to target different types of enemies (even make CIWS anti-missile chaingun turrets). You can either control the ships yourself or let the AI do its thing, but there's nothing in terms of multi-ship tactics at the moment.

There's a rudimentary campaign that pitches you against different factions (fantasy ironclad-like designs, aircraft-oriented guys, hi-tech speedy laser speedboats; most of those are community designs curated by the autists over at their forums). It's getting better as they add a local resource system (you gotta build shipyards, resource-gathering ships and transport vessels, repairs take time and resources, fleets burn fuel which needs to be refined and transported), but as everything else in this game, it's hidden behind an obtuse UI.

Quite monocled for what kinda game it is. I don't forsee it being a hit because it lacks reddit-approved mascots like KSP, but it's easily on KSP's level of complexity already (and to me the warfare aspect adds actual purpose to the designs).

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
I have also bought Homebrew which is another vehicle sandbox.

Another one that I have hoarded is Besiege which has a bit different angle: you build medieval siege engines and try to take down opposing forces/fortresses with the help of those, it's far less sophisticated than, say, From the Depths, but also a lot cheaper.

I don't know when, if ever, I have to time to play all these, but will let you know how they compare if I find time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom