Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

`

We obviously have the edge here due to OOC knowledge, but lets consider Cingetix's perspective. First of all, we kind of established him as a pragmatic survivalist (or at least someone with common sense) when we chose to flee from what was most likely an unwinnable fight. Secondly, he has every reason not to trust Carney. Carney is a craven who fled, indirectly causing the death of both the rhysmun and Cingetix's father. He also has shown himself to be irresponsible with the trap-puzzle, and is naturally starved for loot as he got none of it himself. As for Carney's companion...birds of a feather flock together.

So A) is right out.

C) is too risky. If we are correct about these men likely plotting against us tonight, that means that they will be ready for action, and taking on two people (one of which certainly had combat experience and knows us well) is suicidal.

So B. Unsure about the horse. As established, roads are pretty fucky right now, so going on foot might be difficult. That being said, we've made it down the mountain okay. Besides, Cerwick is trying to manipulate us into staying precisely by pointing out that the roads are going to be difficult to traverse, and fuck him, right? So I'd say we should escape on foot.

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
B). Escape on foot sounds like the best option under these conditions.

Thanks for the video clip! :salute:

oscar

Arcane
B) On foot

Killing Carney is also tempting but Cerwick is an unknown.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I am genuinely amazed that the rhysbidean would even *dare* to defy the Nazgul.

As for Cingetix's choice, I'm torn between C as proposed by Hello Friend and B as detailed by Grimgravy. One is very in character, the other seems to have the nest chances of success.

:salute:

Cingetix got as close to the happy ending as one can get in this world, I guess. Knowing this was the end I may have picked the EXTREME option for the drama, but I really like how this turned out. Really enjoyed the CYOA, you have a very pleasant writing style. Thought I lurked through most of it, I felt engaged throughout the entire thing.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Much appreciated! I didn't notice any flaws that couldn't be overlooked. The story was engaging and fun to read. My only complaint is that we didn't kill off the entire family in true Codex fashion.

oscar

Arcane
Very cool and I enjoyed the prose a lot, managed to feel serious and plausible yet not grimdark. Struck just the right tone throughout.

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
Agree with all the positive comments. This was really enjoyable throughout, as well as very engaging due to a nicely flowing writing style and good set of choices. I often actually spent some time pondering different options, and always anticipated the next update. I got a bit confused concerning the characters at some point, but that was more down to my sometimes a bit careless reading, and checking previous updates obviously put me back on track. Thank you very much for this. :salute:

EDIT: Typos.

Last edited:

hello friend

Arcane
I thought it was good. Surprisingly engaging, actually. Especially the tomb.
You should do this more often.

I love these CYOAs. I'd do one myself, but I haven't written in eight years - I imagine it would be terrible.

Can you say a bit about how you planned it, set up the choices? Did you have a clear idea in mind of where all the choices would lead for each update, or did you just wing it after the votes? How much time did you spend on fleshing out the bits we never saw?

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
A thoroughly enjoyable tale indeed! When are you starting another one? :D

And nope, I meant the rhysbidean. I figured he should be able to acutely feel the raw malice and power of a Ringwraith. Anyway, do tell what was the deal with Mablung and the Nazgul? He served Sauron and stole something from him?

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
When it comes to getting confused about characters, it's very much the writer's responsibility to make each one distinct and recognizable. That being said, will have to blame the format on this one. When the updates show up several days apart (and they're not that long to begin with) it's natural to forget the less important details.

For my part concerning the characters, it was absolutely not criticism towards your style of writing. On the contrary, also the reader has a responsibility to pay attention to the details and nuances the writer expresses and uses because the literary dialog between writer and reader otherwise becomes shallow by default.

This was the first on-line forum CYOA I've participated in. We all have other Real Life (tm)stuff and Various Other Shit (tm) to deal with so quite frankly I'm really very impressed by the consistency of the writing. (coming from someone who reads a lot). Also, the fact that updates were several days apart was not a problem as it created a nice cliffhanger feel.

Tl;dr: MOAR.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom