Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frogwares' The Sinking City - that other Cthulhu game

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Never played any of their Sherlock Holmes games. Does Frogwares master storytelling?
Depends on the publisher. Crimes & Punishments, Testament, and Jack the Ripper are all excellent and all published by Focus. Frogwares changed publishers to Bigben Interactive for Devil's Daughter and the writing went to shit and they put in a bunch of dumbass action minigames. Hmmm I wonder why. Bigben is bankrolling Sinking City as well - one has to wonder if they've learned from their mistakes and 100% of Daughter reviews telling them they're assholes.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-sinking-city-is-like-la-noire-written-by-hp-lovecraft/

The Sinking City is like L.A. Noire written by H.P. Lovecraft
Interrogating fish-people and chasing leads in the soaked streets of Oakmont.

The Sinking City feels like a soggy, nightmarish version of L.A. Noire, a comparison developer Frogwares proudly acknowledged when I spoke to them at GDC. It's set in the 1920s and stars Charles Reed, a private investigator working in the fictional, waterlogged city of Oakmont, Massachusetts, which was nearly destroyed in a flood caused by Lovecraftian deities. Hence the fish-people walking the streets and the horrible visions which regularly assail Reed. Simply adding Cthulhu is an overdone twist, but The Sinking City applies Lovecraftian lore in interesting new ways.

My demo begins in a rundown apartment in uptown Oakmont. From what I can tell, there are no nice apartments in Oakmont. Half the city is underwater, and the half that's not looks like it only recently surfaced. Decay and disrepair literally drip from every banister and street sign, and the entire city looks damp and withered. In this gross, dilapidated town, Harry Evans has gone missing, and his wife wants me to find him. Almost immediately, I have to make the first of many decisions: I can do this job for free, or I can accept Mrs. Evans' wedding ring as payment. I'm in a giving mood, so I decide to do it for free. Looking back, this was a mistake.

What didn't happen next is especially important: a bunch of objective markers didn't pop up on my map. In fact, I didn't see a single blinking objective in my entire demo. The Sinking City expects you to do more than just follow automatically-placed UI markers. Instead, I had to dust off my reporter's cap and start interviewing. I ask Mrs. Evans a few questions and she tells me Harry is a fisherman who works out of a cabin on Old Church Road in Salvation Harbor, one of Oakmont's seven districts. I pull up my map, which is meticulously labeled with streets and shops, scan down to Salvation Harbor, set a marker of my own, and head out.

Rather than a car, I hop in my boat. There are more rivers than roads in Oakmont, so several places can only be reached via water. It's a short ride to the cabin, but long enough for me to spot some tentacled somethings in the water. Note to self: keep your hands inside the boat at all times and keep your eyes forward. Wouldn't want to rear-end Cthulhu.

The door to Harry's cabin is locked. Luckily, the half-sunken Jalopy out front is still tall enough to use as a staircase up to the second-story porch. The Sinking City is fundamentally a third-person action game that puts investigating above actual action, but you can still climb up some parts of Oakmont. There's a scrap of an article from the Oakmont Chronicle on Harry's desk, and Harry's the author. Funnily enough, Reed jots this down in his leather notebook as I take real notes in my heavily scribbled GDC notepad. I've always enjoyed taking and referring to notes while playing games, but The Sinking City's in-game evidence system feels like more than enough to keep cases orderly.

I head down to the basement and find a body. Harry? I don't have time to check. The moment I spot the body Reed launches into a horrible fit straight out of Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. The room around me starts to fall apart. I catch glimpses of the Lovecraftian beyond as tears in reality arc across the walls, and worse still, I'm not the only one peering through them. Hideous, spindly creatures climb through the rifts and crawl toward me as I scramble to load my shotgun. I put two slugs into a couple spiderlings reminiscent of Ridley Scott's Alien, then reload to dispatch a humanoid in Dead Space necromorph cosplay.

Once they're all dead, Reed calms down somewhat, but something's still not right. The body I found isn't Harry but now it's highlighted, and so are a few other details in the basement: a bloody sack, a symbol scrawled in blood on the wall, a man's silhouette. The devs explain I have to determine how these details connect in order to close this nightmare rift. Assigning a chronological number to each highlighted detail, I deduce that the silhouetted man moved the body in the sack, dumped it in the basement, then hid the sack in the corner, and suddenly I'm back to reality. I snap a picture of the symbol on the wall and get the hell out of the basement.

The newspaper clipping is my best lead so I head to the office of the Oakmont Chronicle, which is marked as a utility on the map. I speak to the woman in the lobby but she doesn't know much. All she can do is direct me to the paper's archives and suggest I check the library. I pull out the newspaper clipping and quickly find the article it came from. It's about Harry's dealings with the Innsmouthers, a group of half-fish, half-human people which immigrated to Oakmont after the mysterious flood. It's clear Harry is fascinated by them and they get along well, but that's all the article tells me.

I'm running out of options, so I bring the picture of the bloody symbol to the library. Joy, the woman at the desk, has even less to say than the paper clerk on account of her lips being sewn together. Either Oakmont has strict laws or being loud in the library is seriously frowned upon. A bit of digging reveals that the symbol is sacred to the Innsmouthers. Remembering that Harry is a fisherman, I head to a well-known fishery run by Innsmouthers.

The fish-man out front is terse, unfriendly, and doesn't take kindly to my questions about Harry. He tells me he last saw Harry heading down to the fishery's basement, and that Harry was infamous for talking trash about Innsmouthers. That doesn't line up with the emphatic article Harry wrote, so I call the fish-man out. He cracks and mutters something about a group of men tailing Harry into the basement. I sprint past the Innsmouther, reload my shotgun, charge into the basement and find… Harry Evans. And Mrs. Evans. And several angry-looking Innsmouthers brandishing revolvers.

A good old-fashioned third-person shootout ensues, after which only me and Mrs. Evans are left standing. She insists she had no choice but to trick me, but I'm no longer in a giving mood, so I have her arrested. Apparently Harry and his pals, or perhaps some higher power that hired them—perhaps Cthulhu!—want me to stop poking around Oakmont. Well, I've got some bad news for them: I had a blast with The Sinking City, and I'll be back for more sleuthing just as soon as it's out. It doesn't have a release date yet, but I hope it's soon.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice article, not jazzed about "obligatory action" but the investigations sound interesting. I like the no markers thing; at least comprehension of the story is required to make progress.

Curratum

We all know that Frogwares have sorta gone to shit, right?

They had a Cthulhu-lite game with Sherlock: the Awakened and that was mostly ok but it has been a downhill race ever since, and Awakened came out something like 10 years ago.

Zombra

Patron
We all know that Frogwares have sorta gone to shit, right?
They had a Cthulhu-lite game with Sherlock: the Awakened and that was mostly ok but it has been a downhill race ever since, and Awakened came out something like 10 years ago.
I didn't play Awakened yet so I can't speak to how high the bar used to be, but Crimes & Punishments, Jack the Ripper, and Testament are all worth playing. The real decline was Devil's Daughter, which by coincidence was under a new publisher ... the same new publisher that's doing this. I'm keeping my expectations low because I don't like Bigben, not because Frogwares sucks.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I would say Devil's Daughter's problems aren't so much fundamental as that the cases themselves just aren't particularly riveting, which is what I felt in regards to Crimes & Punishments too. Individual cases linked together by a loose (almost nonexistant in C&P really) overarching framework just aren't quite as good as the globe-trotting mystery of Awakened or the long case of Jack the Ripper. It's a neat game overall.

Wonder how's that gonna hold up to Cyanide's Cthulhu game. Apropos, more gameplay and a release date to Call of Cthulhu will be announced at E3.

I do not appreciate that a gun was used, even if there is slight hope because it was only used in what was clearly a cinematic.

Zombra

Patron
Devil's Daughter's problems
I talk in more depth about the contrast in the TDD thread. Long story short, dumb minigames aside, I saw a sharp decline in the quality of the story from C&P->TDD. I was ready to endure the minigames to get to the good stuff, but the good stuff just wasn't good.

I do not appreciate that a gun was used, even if there is slight hope because it was only used in what was clearly a cinematic.
Give up hope now. The investigation gameplay may or may not be good but there will definitely be crappy action! action! action! at every turn. In one of the preview videos above (don't remember which one), an investigation is shown, clues are found, the guy finds a lead where to go next, he goes to the next house, then zombies start attacking him! Thrills! He shoots them, then goes back to looking around for clues. It's "that" kind of game.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Wonder how's that gonna hold up to Cyanide's Cthulhu game. Apropos, more gameplay and a release date to Call of Cthulhu will be announced at E3.
Cyanide's Call of Cthulhu is more like Amnesia, but with skillchecks.
The Sinking City took a weird approach of open-world survival horror with rpg elements.

agris

Arcane
Patron
From what we've seen and read, Sinking City seems like a L.A. Noir-ish take on the genre.

edit: I can get behind that. Bonus if we get to race channel boats.

Speaking of the hat, I have to say I really like the design of the protagonist.

Let's hope they don't twitterize him like they did to our poor friend Jonathan Reid.

agris

Arcane
Patron
From what we've seen and read, Sinking City seems like a L.A. Noir-ish take on the genre.
Huh? You mean because of the hat?
No I'm serious, because of the story being driven by investigations. I know LA:N is more open-world, but each Act had an over-arcing story with a set of 'story missions' that the act culminates in with a resolution (if you haven't played it). There was also the occasional shooting segments - the sinking city seems to share some similarities to it.

or was your "not sure if serious" in regards to canal boat racing? b/c I would dig some lovecraftian canal boat racing.

449747.jpg

449748.jpg

449749.jpg

449750.jpg

449751.jpg

449746.jpg

449741.jpg

449742.jpg

449743.jpg

449745.jpg

449744.jpg

Zombra

Patron
I think our best Sherlock Holmes game is Crimes & Punishments. It features one technique that I mentioned before – an often uncertain moral choice. It was implemented through a separate game mechanic, called deduction board or Mind Palace.

Deduction board is why I like the game so much. It gave me the freedom to make my own choices. Who do I accuse? What really happened? Did I miss anything? It works really well toward narration and immersion in the shoes of the brilliant detective. Furthermore, the game deliberately keeps the players in the dark about whether or not they found every clue and if they made the right final decision in Deduction Board. If you want though, you can spoil yourself on these mysteries after each mission.

And this worked. I kept thinking about it, made different conclusions in Deduction Board, went this way, than that way, made mistakes. Replayed the missions to get the good ending. And yeah, couldn’t help but look at the spoilers.

We have brought this concept into The Sinking City, but what’s different is our ‘open investigation’ approach. The game won’t put markers on the map to tell players where to go, it’ll be up to them to mark the areas they want to visit. The game also won’t indicate if there’s any clue left. The player will have to reach a conclusion in the Mind Palace, make a decision and live with the consequences.
Oh my god. This guy gets why Crimes & Punishments is better than Devil's Daughter. And sounds like they're using a similar deduction system in this game. I am officially leaving rationality behind and getting hyped.

GandGolf

Augur
Will there be an option to avoid the arcade bits, or at least a cheat code to get around them? Some of us players have the reflexes of a dead rock.

My only problem with that interview is that the guy looks like a teenager and I don't have much faith in younglings to do Lovecraft justice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom