Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frogwares' Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments

Wolfus

Arcane
Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Crimes and Punishments?

Sherlock Holmes in Russia?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
For the first time ever, Frogwares Studio will abandon its homemade graphics engine. The latest adventures of Sherlock Holmes will be developed on Epic’s Unreal Engine 3, allowing the series to jump far ahead of previous installments in graphical quality.

yeah, it's dead jim

What the FUCK was wrong with the old engine? Seriously?!?! This is so goddamned unnecessary.

In Crimes and Punishments, players will embody a Sherlock Holmes with a brand new look. We have abandoned the classic Sherlock Holmes inspired by the 60s Sherlock movies, replacing him with a more modern character perfectly matching the new artistic ambitions of the title.

oh ffs

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
For the first time ever, Frogwares Studio will abandon its homemade graphics engine. The latest adventures of Sherlock Holmes will be developed on Epic’s Unreal Engine 3, allowing the series to jump far ahead of previous installments in graphical quality.

yeah, it's dead jim

What the FUCK was wrong with the old engine? Seriously?!?! This is so goddamned unnecessary.

In Crimes and Punishments, players will embody a Sherlock Holmes with a brand new look. We have abandoned the classic Sherlock Holmes inspired by the 60s Sherlock movies, replacing him with a more modern character perfectly matching the new artistic ambitions of the title.

oh ffs

Translation: We saw how popular BBC's Sherlock is and we are desperate to get piece of that action so we're gonna make Sherlock Holmes to look as close as Benedict Cumberbatch as legally possible.

Gord

Arcane
I thought Testament already used a new engine?
Anyway, I only read a few short news about it, but from the screenshots I'm feeling a bit worried.
Not because I don't like UE3, or I'm afraid they put too much weight on graphics (unnecessary as it might be), but because the "new" Sherlock looks too different from the one established in the old games (and I liked the way they portrayed him there).

That they so willingly change the characterisation of their main character is easily the most troubling fact, imho.

Also, wtf is that supposed to mean:
Unlike the previous adventures of Sherlock Holmes, in Crimes and Punishments you will not be a mere spectator during the detective’s investigation.

It's not as if the old games were just interactive movies that had you merely watching a SH novel with some few instances of player input.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I thought Testament already used a new engine?

I think it was the old engine, but pumped up to the max.

It's not as if the old games were just interactive movies that had you merely watching a SH novel with some few instances of player input.

I would assume there will no longer be delicious moments such as 'you are now controlling Dr Watson' + Sherlock doing funky shit undercover, like the asylum situation in The Awakened.

Wolfus

Arcane
Translation: We saw how popular BBC's Sherlock is and we are desperate to get piece of that action so we're gonna make Sherlock Holmes to look as close as Benedict Cumberbatch as legally possible.

Or maybe as R. Downey in Guy Richie's SH (according to engine taken from action game).

New SH game has been announced:
http://www.frogwares.com/blog/crimes-punishments-the-new-adventure-of-sherlock-holmes-unveiled/
Honestly, I am not really sure what to think about it...

God, I was afraid this would happen. Wished they wouldn't go with the even more edgier and more girmdark route but apparently Testament was success.

Bet we can also expect the puzzles to be even more easy considering most mainstream reviewers complained about the difficulty.

Each case offers real freedom to players, who will have to make important moral choices instead of simply enforcing justice by the book. All decisions have an influence in the game and affect your character’s reputation in addition to having realistic, sometimes unexpected, consequences. You will have to bear the weight of your choices, as Crimes and Punishments offers an exciting system of actions/consequences that forces players to think before acting by giving true depth to every decision they make.

Sounds interesting but I really doubt it will be more than just superficial. Also don't really understand why this is necessary but whatever. They seem to be steering away from the SH in the novels anyway.
Best they could do in my mind is completely start anew with the story so it doesn't get dragged down by the previous games for old fans.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Engine tech demo.

Hope you always missed bloom in your Sherlock Holmes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gord

Arcane
Hope you always missed bloom in your Sherlock Holmes.

I give a shit about bloom, but so far it look as if the new Holmes game might bring a serious dumbing down to the series, along with a major change in Holmes' character.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

o_ó

Sounds like different failure/success states? Could potentially be cool.

Also, changing both voice actors? WHY, FFS

That seems pretty interesting. They seem to really want to go in different direction as it seemed with the Testament game. I wonder why they changed the voice actors, maybe they thought the old ones didn't fit with the new grimdark atmosphere? New Holmes seems more like RDJ one than the classic SH from the earlier games with his messed up hair and suit.
If they could succeed implementing some good choices and consequences in the game it could be quite excellent. Weird for a SH game though.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Holmes. Sherlock Holmes.
Watson. Shaken, not stirred.
:hmmm: And people say I was too harsh on these dudes.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Glad for the confirmation that only Sherlock game worth playing is still Case of the Serrated Scalpel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom