Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Freelancer mods.

Ruprekt

Scholar
The X series is star wars scale. E.g. space battles are like ww2 naval combat.

A sector in X is a few hundred kilometers across (quite large for a room), ships range up to a couple of k in size, battle commences at ranges of under 10 kilomteres.

So yeah you're right it's utterly hopeless as a realistic space sim. You don't fly from planet to planet or star to star. There's not even an attempt at celstial mechanics.

IMO however X (with the last iteration) does star wars scale engagements better than anyone else including freespace and the old x wing/tie fighter games.

You get to see turrets rotate and track targets. Fighters launch from hangers. Destroyers (read battleships) and frigates pummel the crap out of each other. Corvettes make lightning raids. Dodge between asteroids trying to avoid pirates etc etc.

racofer

Thread Incliner
I uninstalled Terran Conflict a few weeks ago because it got boring to see my ships being blown up because the autopilot insisted on ramming them against space stations and asteroids.

Ruprekt

Scholar
You played it enough to get ships plural. That's :love:

Anyway :rpgcodex:

The game doesn't need modding but it has an integrated script editor and it's probably one of the most modded games out there.

X3 doesn't have cockpits, there are a couple of mods adding those back in (if you want).

And then there are a ton of "AI" mods which increase the complexity of NPC faction and ship interactions. These are very cool, the downside is that this adds a lot of CPU burden so they're not so great an idea on a laptop.

Tycn

Savant
Ruprekt said:
The game doesn't need modding but it has an integrated script editor and it's probably one of the most modded games out there.
Thankfully I managed to control myself before turning the entire game into a mod trawl like Morrowind.

I activated some incompatible mods and played for 6 hours before realising that my game was indeed fucked. Also found out that Improved Races was responsible for butchering my framerate, decided to switch to RRF instead.

Edit: Silky smooth now. Look forward to seeing my penis grow slowly over the next few hundred hours.

Tycn

Savant
15 hours with no hiccups until an unavoidable, gamebreaking freeze crops up
:x

Apart from that it's been really enjoyable. Would recommend to anyone who found Freelancer's depth/scale lacking.

DriacKin

Arbiter
It's been a while since I played Freelancer...but I was wondering if there were there were any worthwhile joystick mods?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
:necro:

How does one Freelancer properly in 2015?

I want the graphics, I want the gameplay, I can play with mouse or pad.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:necro:

How does one Freelancer properly in 2015?

I want the graphics, I want the gameplay, I can play with mouse or pad.

Freelancer: Crossfire 2.0 was completed 3 days ago:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/crossfire/downloads/freelancer-20-crossfire

Crossfire continues the epic adventures of Edison Trent. Get ready for a brand new experience in a breathtaking and extraordinary environment. This mod is the unofficial sequel to Freelancer with the most stunning graphics and worlds you have ever seen. Jump into an atomspheric universe full of surprises, challenges incredible adventures. Experience the awesome gameplay, highest quality and unique features of Crossfire. With several hundred thousand downloads, four Mod Award Nominations and it's very large fan community Crossfire has developed to one of the most favorite Singleplayer and Multiplayer mods for Freelancer.

crossfire is masochism.
enemies have endless shield/hull repairs so you either oneshot them or could waste hours before realising you're just wasting time, are much tougher and hit much harder than normal. everything costs a shitload of money but earnings haven't changed.
some very powerful ships are sold in the systems you could be banned from entering if you're following the main quest. also these systems are very safe, so the only sensible thing to do would be grinding that sort of decent trade run for days and days until you can buy that ship which trivializes everything. or you could just follow the main quest and get stuck because suddenly you can't kill enemies anymore, trade routes suck and are infested with invincible enemies and can't go back to calmer systems because they hate your guts.

toroid

Arcane
Looking at the Crossfire map it seems that most of the extra systems are only accessible from a central hub. Is there any reason to explore the vanilla systems for added jump holes or wrecks or any other added content? Or has all of that stuff been placed mostly in the added systems? Also, is the added content sufficiently interesting and designed well enough to warrant spending time exploring? And is the Crossfire story above juvenile turd level fanfiction or not?

Might as well post the vanilla, Crossfire, and Discovery maps for comparison
SIvq5LS.jpg

Last edited:

Deakul

Augur
Freelancer has aged pretty well I think, no reason to really play it modded.
Also because there aren't any good SP mods, they're all catered towards multiplayer in some way.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Freelancer looks and plays well enough. Unfortunately noone ever came up with new and more interesting random missions to play. Doing the same few things over and over again quickly bored me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom