Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Frayed Knights Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Frayed Knights

<p>Rampant Games Jay Barnson <a href="http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/222926/frayed-knights-the-skull-of-smakh-daon-trailer/" target="_blank">talked to Gamepro</a> about the soon to be released&nbsp;<strong>Frayed Knights: The Skull of S'makh-Daon</strong>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Barnson's also trying to add to the genre with a new system he calls "drama stars." You earn "drama stars" when "dramatic things" happen to your character, and the rewards can be so great that they even revive your party when characters are "incapacitated" (you don't die in Frayed Knights unless the entire party is KO'd). But drama stars don't carry over with every save -- Barnson says that they only carry over if "you continue exactly where you quit in a previous session." The idea is to keep you from "save-scumming," as he terms it, reloading when a die roll or encounter goes against you.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Jay, I support the Valve monopoly. Get GabeN on the phone, stat.

RampantCoyote

Novice
Alright. I'm on it. He owes me one for that time in Costa Rica when I kept my mouth shut. That could have gone quite badly for him, and he knows it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
RampantCoyote said:
Alright. I'm on it. He owes me one for that time in Costa Rica when I kept my mouth shut. That could have gone quite badly for him, and he knows it.

1766760-gabe_newell_screen_large.png

MisterStone

Arcane
People are going to chew this game a new asshole for the 'no one dies' stuff, but it sounds like they're trying out some interesting stuff that is related to roleplaying. Also the anti-save scumming feature sounds cool. Hope it turns out well...

Lightknight

Liturgist
You earn "drama stars" when "dramatic things" happen to your character
Sounds like something straight out of John Wick's video seminars...i'm right, arent i ?

mondblut

Arcane
Actually, it sounds like fate points from Arcanum ;)

No one dies, well, Krondor was exactly that, and it bothered no one. Of course, bringing somebody back in shape from 1 hp took literally weeks of resting... There is no point in character deaths anyway, everybody will just restore a saved game unless the resurrection is actually cheaper and more accessible than having to walk from said save all over again. Know thy auditory.

Lightknight

Liturgist
"Actually, it sounds like fate points from Arcanum"

Well, no, no it doesnt. Fate points were a primitive system without any theme to them, with no motivation to speak of, and inconsistensy in earning them.

"Tragedy points" or whatever are more specific, reward a specific activity and/or theme, and help explore the characters more fully. At least thats what John Wick does with them. Whatever Jay means by "drama points" - we will see in a bit.

MCA
I like the way it's done in The Riddle of Steel. IIRC, you define your character's general goals in character creation, things like his dreams and his fears (though not exactly that) so when a situation fits those things, you get to have extra fate rolls and whatnot.

Green Fairy

Novice
I don't see drama stars fixing game reloading issues here. Reloading dicerolls is still an option, so drama stars is probably going to be OP shit if it's supposed to convince you to not reload.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom