Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Frayed Knights - I wanna cast 'Magic Missile'!

I am truly glad to have brought you sadness CK.

Feels good.

Antihero

Liturgist
Cartoon portraits are fine. From what I played of the "pilot" it's not all serious business anyway. Get over it - at least they give it a distinct enough look to separate it from indie RPG #467 at a glance. The environments don't look so bad with the portraits either, but the enemies look far too out of place (and just not very good) from what I've seen so far.

Since I agreed to some survey, but I don't know where to even fill it out (probably since I didn't finish the game)... here we go:

I don't know how much of the UI is going to change, but it feels a little clunky trying to do anything in it. I guess it's trying to be like an older game in a way, but I just find it needlessly annoying now. Get a new weapon, transfer it from the party to the player's inventory to ready the weapon, unequip the current weapon, and then finally equip the new weapon. Jesus, whatever happened to just double clicking it to replace the currently held weapon of the active party member or to drag-and-drop?

Same with spells, press C, select the angry flowers spell yet again from the menu. Can't we just have the same spell from last time readied, or some way to hot key different spells?

Having to click the next button on the bottom of the screen to advance the dialogue. Why not just click the mouse anywhere or press the space bar? Are there really going to be any buttons other than "next" we can click (and besides "cancel", which already works with just the escape key)? Minor nitpick, but the dialog bubbles shifting up could be a little smoother too - just not having to wait for them to shift each time once they reach a certain amount. Maybe collapse them with one or two lines from before faded out a little or a different colour, I think I can remember the flow of conversation that far.

Movement speed is infuriatingly slow - personal preference and all, but even a little faster would be nice.

Enemies popping up out of nowhere or as soon as you open a door could be OK if it weren't for the camera snapping around to look at them against some wall where you were just looking out down an open corridor not one second ago. Sort of nauseating or disorienting after a while. That and the "combat begins" sound is so much louder than some of the ambient music. When enemies die, that dark long shadow they cast is pretty funky looking.

Apparently I can rest to get back all my endurance/mana/whatever after a fight and spam heal spells on my party, as long as the hippie isn't dead yet. Maybe there are wandering monsters if I do that, but I never encountered any so far.

Murk

Arcane
RampantCoyote said:
Mikayel said:
How many of those "unique" spells are "damages enemy with magic of a type"?

Twenty. For ten different "types" of damage.

Twenty-eight if you include damage-over-time.

There are maybe six others that include damage as part of the spell effect, but it's a secondary effect.

I must say, I am skeptical, but if the library of spells includes effects that go beyond a means for combat and are on par with how they were used in say UU or Arx Fatalis, or even close to, then I'm totally on board.

Its just that I read something like this:

Article said:
For example, while all three varieties of priests can cast straight-up heals, the divine (light) priests get the spells earlier and cheaper, nature priests (like Benjamin) get it next, and for dark priests tend to get them pretty late and at higher endurance cost.

... and I think "oh... so they're not unique, they're the exact same thing just with different inputs and outputs".

I'd rather take something like 12 truly unique spells over a system with hundreds that end up as repeats.

Johannes

Arcane
I don't care if theres 20 or 200 spells total, just make them so that I have to actually think which ones to use.

Don't really like the portraits, for it to work properly the game better be fucking hilarious and well written. If it's got a comedic style but without proper comedy value it really falls flat stylistically.

Elzair

Cipher
mondblut said:
posting from a pda, so fuck you.

i played a demo, and it was a decent dungeon crawl. i'd buy it. but fuck it, this cartoon faggotry must stop. i don't fucking want a flintstones rpg. or south park rpg. or any fucking "lol i am a cute cartoon rpg" homo bullshit. STICK YOUR FUCKING CARTOONS UP YOUR ASS TILL IT FUCKING BLEEDS!!!11 RPGs fucking ARE serious business. that's all i have to say on the matter. can't believe it took me 15 fucking minutes to type that. fuck you.

Where did you get this demo of Frayed Knights?

quasimodo

Augur
Elzair said:
mondblut said:

i played a demo, and it was a decent dungeon crawl. i'd buy it. but fuck it, this cartoon faggotry must stop. i don't fucking want a flintstones rpg. or south park rpg. or any fucking "lol i am a cute cartoon rpg" homo bullshit. STICK YOUR FUCKING CARTOONS UP YOUR ASS TILL IT FUCKING BLEEDS!!!11 RPGs fucking ARE serious business. that's all i have to say on the matter. can't believe it took me 15 fucking minutes to type that. fuck you.

RC had a demo/alpha up on his site a year or two ago.

Antihero

Liturgist
quasimodo said:
Elzair said:
mondblut said:

RC had a demo/alpha up on his site a year or two ago.

Unless you're talking about something newer, there's still a "pilot" episode on their site.

Scroll down:
http://rampantgames.com/frayedknights/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom