Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Forum problems

Grimlorn

Arcane
It doesn't happen every time but I've noticed sometimes when I open threads in new tabs the tabs will close automatically. It's ruining the Codex experience. Might be related to an ad or something.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Ad shekels > user experience
Might be something else. Was happening randomly but on a second or third try would typically open, but now I opened the Logan thread 10 times and it closed 10 times in a row.

Tried updating chrome and cleaning internet history, nothing.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Same problem here. I'm using Opera. It seems to be the threads that contain Youtube videos, but I could be wrong.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Ok after some testing. I disabled javascript a couple times to open pages that would autoclose. Only a few examples but it seems every page (only tried a few so far) has had a youtube video embedded. So it might have something to do with a connection to youtube videos. Maybe some ad wants to load that is connected to the youtube video embed.

The embed on Youtube videos and Twitter has been broken for awhile though. Sometimes you'll just see a just screenshot or a twitter bird in the first or second post after opening a page. You typically only had to hit the refresh button to get the video or tweet to reload right so you could play or read it. Wanted to point this out in case it has something to do with the tabs auto closing.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Looks like it's working again?
Not for me. I figured out if I just left click and stay in one tab it's fine. Just if I try to open threads in new tabs they auto-close before loading. Might not be related to Youtube either as I noticed one page didn't have a youtube video in it that kept closing.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
People who are experiencing this problem, answer me these questions 3:

1. Browser?
2. What happens if you disable AdBlock?
3. What is the average flight velocity of a Codexer who self-ejects?

Grimlorn

Arcane
If only I had links to some of these trouble-some pages.

Oh well.

Using Chrome. I was on before posting this thread and it worked fine, so something happened yesterday a little before posting this thread.

Links http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/is-magic-immoral.114195/unread
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/omega-turbodweeb-showcase-tips-fedora.90323/unread
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/just-feminist-things.89957/unread
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/logan.114026/page-3
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/h-p-lovecraft-and-robert-e-howard.75553/unread

Like I said earlier in a post. It works fine if you just left click on a page, but that means only using one tab to surf the web with.

Grimlorn

Arcane

1. Browser?
Ok yeah disabling AdBlockPlus fixes it, or specifically the EasyList filter. So I guess this is a victory for corporations who want to destroy AdBlockers.

Shoutbox is still broken btw.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane

1. Browser?
Ok yeah disabling AdBlockPlus fixes it, or specifically the EasyList filter. So I guess this is a victory for corporations who want to destroy AdBlockers.

Shoutbox is still broken btw.
ABP has been shit for a long time, uBlock Origin is where it's at.

mastroego

Arcane
Honestly, I tolerated ads until they got fucking out of hand everywhere and started to actively disrupt my actions instead of just flash in the background or something.
I can't certainly browse without an adblock nowadays.
So, is this how it's gonna be from now on?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom