Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Former EA CEO John Riccitiello is now head of Unity

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well that went to hell fast.... So long Unity...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Sure Infinitron ... or should I say ...

John Riccitiello

But seriously, do you know how many popamole things employees of Epic Games have said? I mean, CliffyB, anybody? I don't recall people saying the Unreal Engine was TAINTED FOREVER because of that.

It's a game engine. A game engine that already sells "DLC" (the asset store) and is already dominant on mobile platforms. So yeah.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Unity is just a game engine that draws its success on portability, and being available to the indie guy. Riccitiello might be an asshole, even he understands that. He has no interest in changing that.

Only thing that's going to change is that some guy we do not like is now on a decent company's payroll. If you don't like that, you might as well live as a hermit.

Telengard

Arcane
Things he might do that could change things, just off the top of my head:
  1. Negotiate a "sale" to a larger company who don't want it is competition, who will then kill it and strip it, while Ricci walks away with CEO rewards.
  2. Asset strip the company, then let it coast on its laurels while making maximum profit, before it nosedives under its own newly fostered incompetence. Auction off the pieces for more profit.
  3. Devolve the sales assets into smaller and smaller pieces, in order to maximize profit off a single individual sale. -It's a method kinda like DLC.
  4. Raise prices for PC devs in order to cut costs for mobile devs, in order to concentrate on their chosen market.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Reminds me of nokia ex-microsoft executive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom