Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA) thread

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
The items included in "The Realm" hack are taken from the AD&D 1st Edition rules. If you have those rules handy, you can look them up. If not, you can download OSRIC, which is basically the same thing, and is available for free here:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/stewart-marshall/osric-a5-pdf/ebook/product-20697767.html

The reason why it shows the character has having "Gaze Reflection" is due to the way that FRUA authors have to hack the available strings in order to use them for other things (including item names). So, GBC is probably seeing the original string instead of the changed string.

eXalted

Arcane
I guessed it's something like that.

Alright, I played a little more of the Veiled Society and I can tell that I quite enjoy it. This is from someone who has not played (for more than 30 minutes) RPG older than Fallout.
Here I said it...
5907c88df2965e500c98e948dfae20c0.jpg

I am just after the riot fight between the peasants the cavalry and I think it was quite awesome. I didn't do much in there (cuz of the fuckton peasants by my side) but I really loved the idea of such massive battle ( are there any other modules with such armies clashing?).

Really thinking of further exploring the Goldbox scene. The module hooked me.

eXalted

Arcane
Just finished and enjoyed the module quite a lot. It checks just the right stuff for me - straightforward, no trash combat, city adventuring and choices (although I am not sure how much they mattered). And oh the battle with the roughly 15 veiled society members made me whoa but a Sleep spell made it managable, pure fun.

Really didn't expect this game to grab me. The Goldbox Companion made it a lot easier for me to get into it. Especially the parts where the game moves instead of me, without it the mapping would have been a nightmare.

I have two mage questions:
- Why some 1st level like Detect Magic are not available for memorization?
- When I memorize a spell in the beginning, I can't memorize a different one after that until I go up a level, right? I memorized Sleep for the two mages and I am quite satisfied with it, but still.

So any other module recommendations that I should explore with my noobish party of misfits?

eXalted

Arcane
Finished Game08SE - Journey to the Rock.

This one got a little weird towards the end. I got the talisman from the chest but nothing happened. Returned to the wizard - he was not there. Loaded and returned again - nothing. Loaded - started going left and right and began returning again and I don't know if I moved over just the right tile but the event where the Wizard teleports to me fired at last. Overall I am pretty satisfied. Although the module was a little on the easier site.

Now time for Assault on Raven's Ruin (Levels 1-3) but I am slightly worried that all my characters are level 3 and the cleric 4. Maybe this one will be even more easy?

And oh my...
J66Pq77.jpg
Nerdy boner :bounce:

I would have never touched this game if it wasn't for the Goldbox Companion popamole automap and level up features. But damn I love it and am thinking of starting a serious playthrough of Pool of Radiance (FRUA version).

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
As I've said before, many times now, there are more FRUA adventures out there than just the remakes of classic D&D modules. Once you get tired of that, you might look into some of the highly rated modules put out by the authors in the FRUA community.

eXalted

Arcane
As I've said before, many times now, there are more FRUA adventures out there than just the remakes of classic D&D modules. Once you get tired of that, you might look into some of the highly rated modules put out by the authors in the FRUA community.
Yeah, I even saw some lesbian ones. But I guess the author is a famous dude so I will even take a look at it too.

eXalted

Arcane
Finished Assault on Raven's Ruin

It was very straightforward adventure. Stay in town, go in forest, go in final lair. I think my heroes are a little overpowered (I am following the recommended "West" order in http://therealm.flopsyville.com/Menu.htm ) - the only spell I used was cure minor wounds twice.

My tank before beginning this adventure:
puyH9nm.jpg

Hope the next modules are harder.

I am thinking of starting Pool of Radiance (the FRUA version).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Hope the next modules are harder.

The more challenging set of adventures for Ray's series is actually the East Lands (it is MUCH more difficult): http://therealm.flopsyville.com/east.html

For balance reasons, you need to start a new party and follow exactly the series of recommended modules, and in that order to play. When you get to Aerie of the Slavelords, things will get a bit difficult. And at times nasty. This is the more *difficult* recommended series of modules for Ray's The Realm Series.

EDIT: When you get to Horror on the Hill, things start to get VERY nasty....

I am thinking of starting Pool of Radiance (the FRUA version).

As much as I applaud Ray for doing a version of that in FRUA, there is so much extra stuff, hidden under the hood that he cannot do in FRUA.

I would highly recommend you play the entire Pool of Radiance (Gold Box) series instead. I think from a challenge stand point (of which you have stated), you would more enjoy that whole series much better (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades and then finally Pools of Darkness (good luck with finishing that).

Last edited:

eXalted

Arcane
That Broad Sword +2 and Plate made my tank overpowered for all battles in the starting "West" but I find them relly good for getting the grips on the combat and really aprreciate that there aren't many trash mobs.
As much as I applaud Ray for doing a version of that in FRUA, there is so much extra stuff, hidden under the hood that he cannot do in FRUA.
You mean it is not good and it could be made better?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That Broad Sword +2 and Plate made my tank overpowered for all battles in the starting "West" but I find them relly good for getting the grips on the combat and really aprreciate that there aren't many trash mobs.

That's just how the old D&D Pen and Paper modules were (trash mob wise). They were actually well designed for the most part. Loot wise, the West series of modules are well balanced. Ray did put some thought into that, and did not put any too loot heavy modules in that selection. But by far, the West series has very decent loot, and shouldn't be too difficult to run through. The West series is just more of a fun exploration series of modules.

You mean it is not good and it could be made better?

The *base* game, encounters and story and loot are all there, there are just some slight code/functions that are present in the original Pool of Radiance that they did not include in the FRUA engine. The whole experience is however, pretty much like the original. Most people wouldn't notice the difference. Though one thing is, the UI and interface is VASTLY better in FRUA than the original Pool of Radiance. It at times can be RAGE INDUCING playing the original game and struggling with that archaic interface.

If you are so far having a blast playing the Realm Series so far, you would GREATLY enjoy just playing the original Gold Box series of modules, starting with Pool of Radiance. It's a bit more challenging but very well done series of modules.

Cyler Rubin

Educated
Out of curiosity, does anyone know where to fine game14 of the realm series? It seems that Rosedragon is telling me no dice on the download.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Out of curiosity, does anyone know where to fine game14 of the realm series? It seems that Rosedragon is telling me no dice on the download.

Yeah I just checked, for some reason that MOD is missing. I checked my archives, and actually, I don't think I have ever played that one yet.

I asked on another forum to see if someone can possibly re-upload or perhaps fix the link to the non-working download to game 14.

I will let you know when it is available again.

Cyler Rubin

Educated

Yeah I just checked, for some reason that MOD is missing. I checked my archives, and actually, I don't think I have ever played that one yet.

I asked on another forum to see if someone can possibly re-upload or perhaps fix the link to the non-working download to game 14.

I will let you know when it is available again.

Thanks man, yeah its the only one I haven't been successful in tracking down, would like it for the archive.

Cyler Rubin

Educated

http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/modules/g/game14.txt
http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/modules/g/game14.zip

You can download the TXT file and the module just fine now with the above links.

Thanks! At some point tonight I'll recompile the archive, I also want to add a special edition of game06 on rosedragon and an offline version of the journals for the games.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Cyler Rubin

Educated
Secondly I compiled all the games I could of The Realms (save game14, which I am still hunting for, and a special ed of game06) in a starter kit of sorts, all unarchived, as well as packaged with UASHELL, and GBC.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tj43d77e6k7k616/The Realm Starter Pack.rar?dl=0

When I tried to download this I got an archive error, not sure whether this is on my end or not

Oh dear. I checked it after I put it up and it unpacked fine. I'm going to be making a new version tonight. Very sorry about this x.x

Cyler Rubin

Educated
Secondly I compiled all the games I could of The Realms (save game14, which I am still hunting for, and a special ed of game06) in a starter kit of sorts, all unarchived, as well as packaged with UASHELL, and GBC.

When I tried to download this I got an archive error, not sure whether this is on my end or not

Oh dear. I checked it after I put it up and it unpacked fine. I'm going to be making a new version tonight. Very sorry about this x.x

Okay. I just finished uploading the new version. I've added game14 and the special edition of game06 made by Vixenkitty, listed on the rosedragon FRUA module page. I downloaded the file afterwards and verified that it does not corrupt, and it has been scanned with McAfee and Webroot, found virus free. I've also gone through and added a character save folder with subsets for each game if you would like to keep backups as placeholders for when your group finished any given module. Hope you enjoy!

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Found out the problem was at my end, for some reason the unrar-plugin in the file manager i used couldn't handle the archive, but winrar did. Thanks for all the work.

Cyler Rubin

Educated
Found out the problem was at my end, for some reason the unrar-plugin in the file manager i used couldn't handle the archive, but winrar did. Thanks for all the work.

No problem man. Hope ya like it.
7Zip has issues with this file, care to up and 7z compressed version? tnx!
(I avoid using WinRar)

No problem, I will have to wait til I get stopped for the night for that one though, I managed to get a signal on my laptop a bit ago for the last upload, but I don't like relying on tethered wifi for uploading files. Should be in a few hours

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom