Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA) thread

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm currently trying the scenario that was included with FRUA: The Heir's to Skull Crag. It's harder than I thought it would be. Being ambushed by a large number of Ogres, among them several Shamans that cast Hold Person is no fun when most of your characters are held before you have a chance to act.

heh you know, I have NEVER played that mod.

You haven't missed much.
The module is obviously designed for players with maxed out characters who rest after each battle, since the party is constantly being surprised by traps and ambushes (Ogre Shamans that immobilize most of the party or Rakshasa that kill most of the party with fireballs and are almost impossible to hit with lvl 6 characters) , which can only be survived by metagaming or luck.
If it wasn't for the fucking ambushes it may have been worth finishing.

Finagle

Novice
I'm amazed ive not heard more about FRUA and the community that has grown around it. When i first saw this on the shelves years and years ago i thought it was just a tool for table top role playing.

Been playing through "The West" for the past few days and really enjoying it. Nice one for the guide.

You know this could really do with more exposure. Maybe the guy with the "must play" list that's stickyed in GD could be convinced to add this to his post.

Comte

Jaesun I want to thank you for your guide to getting this set up. I managed to get the game going tonight. I'm heading east..............

Dr Rotwang!

Barely Literate
You can change any of these custom Frames, Font and colors back to the defaults, if some of these elements of his module makes you RAGE. This is why I had you copy 3 files in step 8A above. If you want to replace these, just ask. I'll add it to this guide later.

I joined this forum just to ask this question:

How do you replace those?

Thanks in advance. GYMKATA!

titus

Arcane
Patron
Jaesun I want to thank you for your guide to getting this set up. I managed to get the game going tonight. I'm heading east..............

:salute:

If you have any problems or other questions, just let me know.

Hey, thanks for pointing this out, I wasn't aware of it until I've read it here.
A question. I finished Journey to the Rock and now want to do another one in the list, say Assault on Raven's Ruin. I went to Specularum first to train and buy some stuff but the module's questline started.
What would happen if I were to leave in the middle of it and play another module? Can I go back and pick up where I had left or does it start over?
Any of those would be ok for me, as I'm not too deep in the quests there, however I wouldn't want to break anything.
Any thoughts?

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
If I remember right, what matters is when you export your characters to another module. FRUA doesn't keep constant saves, so you could save a game when your characters are at a lower level in a module, and export them to a second module. You might decide to stop and go back to your halfway point in the first module and complete the game with your characters now more experienced. If you export them at this time, they'll take that new set of more experienced levels and equipment conditions into the second module as if you never played the second module with a lower level party.

So again, there is no central place that stores your character states in FRUA. Characters seem to be saved inside the modules themselves, so what really matters is the conditions and experience levels of your party members at the moment of export.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Hey, thanks for pointing this out, I wasn't aware of it until I've read it here.
A question. I finished Journey to the Rock and now want to do another one in the list, say Assault on Raven's Ruin. I went to Specularum first to train and buy some stuff but the module's questline started.
What would happen if I were to leave in the middle of it and play another module? Can I go back and pick up where I had left or does it start over?
Any of those would be ok for me, as I'm not too deep in the quests there, however I wouldn't want to break anything.
Any thoughts?

Just so I understand, what module are you currently playing? Assault on Raven's Ruin? Because there is no Main Quest in Specularum. Also Assault on Raven's Ruin, you can do shopping and training there (EXCEPT for magic users).

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Any thoughts?

Just so I understand, what module are you currently playing? Assault on Raven's Ruin? Because there is no Main Quest in Specularum. Also Assault on Raven's Ruin, you can do shopping and training there (EXCEPT for magic users).

The Veiled Society takes place in Specularum.

titus

Arcane
Patron
I only used that as an example, haven't really started playing it yet.
I had a look at the recommended order and saw that one was next. Anyway, I didn't see Specularum in the list and my concern was that it would be too hard for a level 2 party, but it wasn't :)

As for the "main quest" I'm talking about the series of events that the module triggers.

For example right when you enter the city and you get to "side" with one of the factions, after the first day has passed and you automatically go to the inn and find a room, etc.
***edit
The Veiled Society, yes.

I didn't know if those states would be saved if I get my party out of the city and into another module.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
titus OK I got it now heh. But NO. If I am remembering correctly, because of the way FRUA stores variables you cannot leave a module and continue where you left off. (you can in Dungeon Craft :smug: )

However, I would suggest you do NOT do The Veiled Society. For the best balanced experience, only play the modules listed here (for the West) http://therealm.flopsyville.com/west.html

The reason being, all of the modules listed in the WEST is a perfect balanced experience. If you do a game of The Veiled Society, and then decide to do the rest of the modules listed for the west, you now are going to be a much higher EXP and gear wise, and then playing the rest of the games listed for the West might be a little to easy.

However, it is your time, and you are free to do whatever modules you want too. Just know, deviating from the recommended module order will be different experience (balance wise).

I would recommend just heading straight to assault on ravens ruin. That is a REALLY fun module. And you will more than likely miss out on a lot off stuff (so take your time). And it has choice and consequences.... of sorts. Of which you may also miss out. heh

titus

Arcane
Patron
titus OK I got it now heh. But NO. If I am remembering correctly, because of the way FRUA stores variables you cannot leave a module and continue where you left off. (you can in Dungeon Craft :smug: )

However, I would suggest you do NOT do The Veiled Society. For the best balanced experience, only play the modules listed here (for the West) http://therealm.flopsyville.com/west.html

The reason being, all of the modules listed in the WEST is a perfect balanced experience. If you do a game of The Veiled Society, and then decide to do the rest of the modules listed for the west, you now are going to be a much higher EXP and gear wise, and then playing the rest of the games listed for the West might be a little to easy.

However, it is your time, and you are free to do whatever modules you want too. Just know, deviating from the recommended module order will be different experience (balance wise).

I would recommend just heading straight to assault on ravens ruin. That is a REALLY fun module. And you will more than likely miss out on a lot off stuff (so take your time). And it has choice and consequences.... of sorts. Of which you may also miss out. heh
Well, I've tried to play DC but it crashes after loading a scenario.
Anyway, that makes sense. I've finished The Veiled Society so I'll go back to a previous save and play that list only for now. Thanks.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well, I've tried to play DC but it crashes after loading a scenario.

Yeah, hold off on playing Dungeon Craft for now. They are almost.... almost at a fully stable v1.0 build but it is still going to take some time.

When they finally do release a stable v1.0 of DC, I will let you guys know.

WarHamster

Augur
Patron
You can change any of these custom Frames, Font and colors back to the defaults, if some of these elements of his module makes you RAGE. This is why I had you copy 3 files in step 8A above. If you want to replace these, just ask. I'll add it to this guide later.

I joined this forum just to ask this question:

How do you replace those?
Until Jaesun gives you a better answer, I'll offer you a wild ass guess. As the first post you quoted directs you to do, you copy those 3 files which contain the default frames, fonts and colors. You then paste them into the module's directory (in corresponding subdirectories, if any) - when Windows warns you of a same name file existing already, you choose to overwrite it with the pasted file.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
If we're talking Unlimited Adventures, you don't need to add anything to the directory to change them back to the defaults, you just need to erase some files in the design directory. If the files aren't present there, UAShell will use the defaults provided by Unlimited Adventures.

Going by memory, if you want to return the font to the default font, erase the file GAME.FON
To return the color scheme to normal, you usually remove the ALWAYS.TLB file.
To return the frames to normal, remove the FRAME.TLB, GEN.TLB and MENU.TLB files.

Go back to UAShell and reapply the module and it should be good to go.

Severian Silk

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
A while back, someone had mentioned playing with Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA) and following the order of the really good "Realm Series" user made modules from Ray Dryer http://therealm.flopsyville.com/Menu.htm On this page I recommend you click on the WEST, and follow all the mods listed there. The EAST and SOUTH are quite a bit more difficult than the modules suggested for the WEST.
Do these modules work in Dungeon Craft?

No. It *should* allow you to import and then play them in Dungeon Craft in the future, but that functionality is still in the works.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I'm getting itching to play some good old fantasy stuff, and I'm wondering which would be a good module to start playing with FRUA?

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
I'm getting itching to play some good old fantasy stuff, and I'm wondering which would be a good module to start playing with FRUA?

Man, just looking through this thread gives me the itch to play FRUA again. Start with the fairly easy Journey to the Rock and get your party to 2nd level: http://therealm.flopsyville.com/west.html#game06

Then, try the also somewhat easy but fun Veiled Society in order to make it to level 3: http://therealm.flopsyville.com/east.html#game05

If you need to play a short adventure to get to level 3, go ahead and do so in order to make sure all your characters are tough enough for the difficult, but great Lost City:

http://therealm.flopsyville.com/west.html#game04

Please share your thoughts when you give this a go!

Old Hans

Arcane
when I type update.bat c it tells me if I want to update UA I should switch to the directory UA is installed, even though im in the directory! HALP!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom