Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA) thread

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I would guess the ones built off the largest published pen and paper modules. The largest and most enjoyable I played was B4: The Lost City.

Some larger ones I never played:
- Palace of the Silver Princess
- Aerie of the Slave Lords
- Keep on the Borderlands
- Tomb of the Lizard King
- Ravenloft
- Temple of Elemental Evil

eXalted

Arcane
Well that's it, after playing some more FRUA modules, I just can't get into the original games... :|

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I see there's been questions about racial class level caps that haven't been answered.
I did a test (simply set starting XP of Game 00 to 9999999) and it seems there's no limits. All races can be Clerics with no limits, for example. Only Humans can be Paladins, though.

This means it's possible to run a true multi-cultural party in the Realms, with all races and classes being inclooded. Being a liberal, progressive citizen nothing pleases me more, of course, although it's deeply problematic that there's only two genders to choose from.

So I think I'll start off with the following party:
Human Paladin
Elf Fighter/Mage
Half-Elf Ranger/Cleric
Gnome Mage
Dwarf Cleric
Halfling Fighter/Thief

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Well that's it, after playing some more FRUA modules, I just can't get into the original games... :|

Give Neverwhere a try. Last night I went back to it after some time and it has great art and interesting encounter design with solid level design. It plays nice with GBC. It's not a cakewalk either. I wandered into some place just now and got my ass handed to me. My whole party was Gone or Dead within two rounds.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Neverwhere? Are we talking about a mod based on Neil Gaiman's book or is that a typo and you mean the Gold Box online game, Neverwinter Nights?

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
There's been a couple of new modules released over the last year, for those of you not keeping up with the community, including "Avenge Dracandros!" by hans (a sort of sequel to "Curse of the Azure Bonds"). Here's a couple of screenshots:

9D918D7A-33F4-4F2D-BEC2-1789F44B9A56.png

94BAEF78-3602-4021-A4CA-407A3ADE9050.png

B5C2D102-0523-4FF1-96A7-556E3E5A1E91.png

So, head on over and get your Gold-Box craving fulfilled...

Last edited:

schmaehgol

Barely Literate
Does anybody know how to train a cleric or mage in Ray Dyers' game04.dsn The Lost City once you have joined the Brotherhood of Gorm? (Fighters and thieves can train with them, but not the others, and once my party has joined them I can't join the other 2 groups in the pyramid, so what's to do?)
... of course I know I can edit the module to allow clerics and mages to train with the Brotherhood, too, but that's not really in the spirit...

Thank you for your help.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Does anybody know how to train a cleric or mage in Ray Dyers' game04.dsn The Lost City once you have joined the Brotherhood of Gorm? (Fighters and thieves can train with them, but not the others, and once my party has joined them I can't join the other 2 groups in the pyramid, so what's to do?)
... of course I know I can edit the module to allow clerics and mages to train with the Brotherhood, too, but that's not really in the spirit...

Thank you for your help.

I did a Let's Play on this site, although I can't recall if I covered that or not. I thought you could still pass through some sections of the other factions, and if you play later into the game you meet some secret factions that can help:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ted-adventures-module-b4-the-lost-city.82545/

Saxon1974

Prophet
I am having issues with The Veiled Society adventure 05. It seems to freeze and never recover after I return from the Vorloi estate early in the game. I am also using the GBC tool for mapping and it also wipes out my entire map around this same time.

I had no issues with Journey to the Rock.

Any advice? I can look at the FRUA forums as well.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Looking at the FRUA forums could be your best bet. The author of those modules is still around over there and might be able to shed some light on your issues.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Looking at the FRUA forums could be your best bet. The author of those modules is still around over there and might be able to shed some light on your issues.

Thanks. I registered for the forum but it has to be approved. Didn't see it on a quick search. I may just play a different module.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
That's odd. I played through the Veiled Society and never had an issue in FRUA. One Gold Box issue I sometimes ran into with DOSBox is the screen looking as if it had locked up in random places. To fix it I would press Alt-Enter to put the screen in windowed mode, then again to go back to maximized mode in order to clear it. Worked almost every time.

eXalted

Arcane
Could someone recommend good quality FRUA modules with a playtime of around 10-12 hours?

Currently looking into Neverwhere.

eXalted

Arcane
I've heard some stuff about "the Sect" and "Night Below". Are they good?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
There were some pretty cool modules for FRUA over the years but I wish there was some type of frontend or launcher that allows you to organize them into one collection like launchbox then just click and play. The process of loading/unloading them one at a time in that UA loader is cumbersome. Ray's modules alone number nearly 50. I have nearly 200 of these things if I ever catch the Gold Box fever again.

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
fruamm.png

Released an early version of a FRUA Module Manager which downloads the module list from UA File Archive and lets you download and install modules with a single click and apply the hacks with another click. I'm not yet 100% sure that the hacks are done exactly like UAShell does them.

FRUA MODULE MANAGER

FRUA-MM is module manager tool for FRUA (Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures) that helps downloading and installing modules.

BEFORE USING
  • FRUA-MM is still in experimental state, especially applying module hacks.
  • It's best to start the tool first time when FRUA is in a vanilla, unmodded state as backups of the FRUA files are made at first start.
  • FRUA-MM does not need Gold Box Companion but if it's in the same folder as GBC.exe (v2.60) it uses the same settings-file.
  • You can use FRUA-MM just for installing modules and then use UAShell or UADAP (UA Design Apply, graphical Windows tool) to apply hacks. For UADAP, see here: http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3428.0
USAGE
  • When you first start FRUA-MM, it asks you to locate the folder where FRUA is installed (the folder that has the "CKIT.EXE" file). It uses the same settings as Gold Box Companion so if you have set the FRUA folder already in GBC, you can skip this part.
  • If this is the first start of the tool, backups of original FRUA-files are made (files in folders "DISK1"-"DISK3" and "CKIT.EXE").
  • If not already downloaded, FRUA-MM tries to automatically download the module list from UA File Archive (http://frua.rosedragon.org). If all goes well you should see a list of modules. You can later refresh the module list by clicking DOWNLOAD MODULE LIST.
  • You can filter the module list by entering keywords (separated by space) in the filter field. You can filter any of the seen fields and the description (shown in the memo box when you click a module).
  • By pressing DOWNLOAD MODULE or doubleclicking a module will download and install it. Installing means that the zip-archive (and all subarchives inside the archive) are extracted to a temporary folder and the files are copied to a <module_name>.DSN folder. If folder <module_name>.DSN already exists, you will be asked for a new folder name or you can just accept the current one.
  • After pressing APPLY MODULE HACKS, original FRUA files are restored from the backup folder, hacked files are copied to the "DISK1"-"DISK3" folders replacing the original ones, "CKIT.EXE" is patched based on the "DIFF.TBL" file, and the module is set active in FRUA (module name is written to the file "START.DAT").
OTHER STUFF
  • By pressing APPLY PATCHES, you can patch file "CKIT.EXE" with patches found in the "FRUA_Patches"-folder. You can store patches in the "FRUA_Patches\Storage"-folder, these won't be applied. You can open this folder quickly with the OPEN PATCHES FOLDER button. Use this function after using APPLY MODULE HACKS.
  • Patch files can have comments. If the first character on a line is not 0-9 or A-F then the line will be skipped.
  • You can delete installed modules with the DELETE MODULE button. The "HEIRS.DSN" and "TUTORIAL.DSN" modules that come with FRUA can not be rmeoved this way.
  • RESTORE ORIGINAL FILES button deletes the contents from folders "DISK1"-"DISK3" and copies the original files to them. File "CKIT.EXE" is restored to the original. The file "START.DAT" is cleared.
  • You can doubleclick an installed module to open its folder.
  • Press Control + D to toggle debug mode. In debug mode the download and extract batch windows are shown.
  • External program "Tools\curl.exe" is used for downloading the module list and files.
  • External program "Tools\7za.exe" is used for extracting the downloaded zip-archives.
Download:
http://gbc.zorbus.net/tmp/fruamm.zip

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
fruamm.png

Released an early version of a FRUA Module Manager which downloads the module list from UA File Archive and lets you download and install modules with a single click and apply the hacks with another click. I'm not yet 100% sure that the hacks are done exactly like UAShell does them.

FRUA MODULE MANAGER

FRUA-MM is module manager tool for FRUA (Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures) that helps downloading and installing modules.

BEFORE USING
  • FRUA-MM is still in experimental state, especially applying module hacks.
  • It's best to start the tool first time when FRUA is in a vanilla, unmodded state as backups of the FRUA files are made at first start.
  • FRUA-MM does not need Gold Box Companion but if it's in the same folder as GBC.exe (v2.60) it uses the same settings-file.
  • You can use FRUA-MM just for installing modules and then use UAShell or UADAP (UA Design Apply, graphical Windows tool) to apply hacks. For UADAP, see here: http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3428.0
USAGE
  • When you first start FRUA-MM, it asks you to locate the folder where FRUA is installed (the folder that has the "CKIT.EXE" file). It uses the same settings as Gold Box Companion so if you have set the FRUA folder already in GBC, you can skip this part.
  • If this is the first start of the tool, backups of original FRUA-files are made (files in folders "DISK1"-"DISK3" and "CKIT.EXE").
  • If not already downloaded, FRUA-MM tries to automatically download the module list from UA File Archive (http://frua.rosedragon.org). If all goes well you should see a list of modules. You can later refresh the module list by clicking DOWNLOAD MODULE LIST.
  • You can filter the module list by entering keywords (separated by space) in the filter field. You can filter any of the seen fields and the description (shown in the memo box when you click a module).
  • By pressing DOWNLOAD MODULE or doubleclicking a module will download and install it. Installing means that the zip-archive (and all subarchives inside the archive) are extracted to a temporary folder and the files are copied to a <module_name>.DSN folder. If folder <module_name>.DSN already exists, you will be asked for a new folder name or you can just accept the current one.
  • After pressing APPLY MODULE HACKS, original FRUA files are restored from the backup folder, hacked files are copied to the "DISK1"-"DISK3" folders replacing the original ones, "CKIT.EXE" is patched based on the "DIFF.TBL" file, and the module is set active in FRUA (module name is written to the file "START.DAT").
OTHER STUFF
  • By pressing APPLY PATCHES, you can patch file "CKIT.EXE" with patches found in the "FRUA_Patches"-folder. You can store patches in the "FRUA_Patches\Storage"-folder, these won't be applied. You can open this folder quickly with the OPEN PATCHES FOLDER button. Use this function after using APPLY MODULE HACKS.
  • Patch files can have comments. If the first character on a line is not 0-9 or A-F then the line will be skipped.
  • You can delete installed modules with the DELETE MODULE button. The "HEIRS.DSN" and "TUTORIAL.DSN" modules that come with FRUA can not be rmeoved this way.
  • RESTORE ORIGINAL FILES button deletes the contents from folders "DISK1"-"DISK3" and copies the original files to them. File "CKIT.EXE" is restored to the original. The file "START.DAT" is cleared.
  • You can doubleclick an installed module to open its folder.
  • Press Control + D to toggle debug mode. In debug mode the download and extract batch windows are shown.
  • External program "Tools\curl.exe" is used for downloading the module list and files.
  • External program "Tools\7za.exe" is used for extracting the downloaded zip-archives.
Download:
http://gbc.zorbus.net/tmp/fruamm.zip

:hype:

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Can someone please help me? I'm trying to transfer my FRUA directory from my Android tablet (which has all the same files and extensions as PC) to my PC. However, I have a few problems.

UASHELL.BAT, no matter what, does not install correctly. An error comes up saying it's not compatible with this version of Windows and that critical files are missing, aborting installation. That's problem #1.

Problem #2 is i'm trying to transfer my saved games from a current module (TOEE.DSN) on my tablet to PC. However, my A/B/C/D save files are not in the TOEE.DSN>Save folder. How come? How do i transfer my progress from the module to the PC with my character intact?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Really want to get this working. Thanks guys! <3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom