Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Forged Battalion - new RTS from Petroglyph

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just want RTS like Age of Empires to make a return.

Let's hope AoE4 won't be shit :negative:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Welcome to modern RTS #4769873496793, where what matters the most is the clusterfuck on the screen that makes it impossible to tell wtf is going on.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
We need a bigger :negative: for threads like this.
Since everyone wants ye'olde strategy games I want Kohan back :( (Myth also, hell I'm even OK for a new Battle Realms...)
We need a fucking and successful RTS renaissance

ArchAngel

Arcane
Objectively, this doesn't look bad.
But man am I turned down by generic SciFi RTS. It's my personal zombies theme :lol:
Objectively this looks generic as generic as it can get. And that makes it terrible. All the most popular RTS games were opposite of generic.

Quatlo

Arcane
So they merged End of Nations with their 8bit thingies and sprinkled some more derp?
Damn this genre is dead :despair:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Customizable" units... because that worked so well in Impossible Creatures or Earth 2160...
You just don't have time for things like that in the middle of a match in RTS games, not even in slower ones (and this doesn't look very slow, but who knows).

If they have to copy some awkward mechanics, I'd rather see something like Maelstrom again, where artificially raising/lowering water level was a part of gameplay.
Pretty weird and unbalanced, but cool.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
"A new tactical experience from RTS veterans"

tfw you are ashamed of even naming your recent games for the trailer

Dayyālu

Arcane
"Customizable" units... because that worked so well in Impossible Creatures or Earth 2160...

It worked well in Warzone 2100, Earth 2150 and Battlezone. Earth 2160's problem was HP bloat, IC that under the coat of "customizable" units you had a very subpar RTS. The problem here is that they keep doing a game that no one wants.

Again, when OpenRa is 300% superior to your new game, something has gone wrong.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's an overview/review:

Clears up some misconceptions I had.

It worked well in Warzone 2100, Earth 2150 and Battlezone. Earth 2160's problem was HP bloat, IC that under the coat of "customizable" units you had a very subpar RTS.
The problem with the ones I quoted was that you were designing units during the battle. And it was quite the involved procedure. That simply doesn't fit together with having to pay attention to the battlefield (at least not in PvP or co-op).

In Forged Battalion, at least from the video above, you will create/improve units before doing a mission or match. So during the match, you won't lose any time doing that, you gotta live with what you have.
That's a much better concept and something I actually look for in RTS games. It's one of the reasons I loved AoE 3 so much - the card system added some great customization options (which weren't that balanced, but fuck balancing, I want interesting).

Might give that one a go, then, actually. Despite the terrible genericness. It's rather cheap, too.

Last edited:

80s Stallone

Arcane
So nobody gives a shit. How unexpected. It also looks generic as biblical hell.

Sad!

(I liked Grey Goo, BTW, wish they had built on that...)

80s Stallone

Arcane
well, they had three different races and established a sci-fi universe. Didn't make much out of it though. Ok, the unit look was lazy.

Not a great game, but I had some multiplayer fun in the beginning.

They are doing lazy cash-grabs now.

And people should stop saying that Petroglyph is ex-Westwood.

Not much to do with Westwood by now.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Designing your own units is a bit of a turn-off for me, TBH. Can't really have iconic units, nor story w. enemy "doomsday weapons" being introduced.

Well, maybe the other way around, enemy having iconic units and you having to come up with a design to counter them.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron

Endemic

Arcane
No point trying to go for the esports crowd, Blizzard has that locked up (and I guess AOE2 to a lesser extent). Same with making a MOBA-style RTS.

With that in mind, the cramped maps are not a good sign (are they going to have a map editor as well as a unit one?). Varied maps and game modes along with custom content kept AOE2 alive until Microsoft released HD, so something other than "kill all units" would help.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom