Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For what do people play Diablo (and such games)?

Why play diablo-style games?

• Grinding/looting

Votes: 102 48.1%
  • Simple but catchy gameplay

Votes: 127 59.9%
  • Interesting setting/design in particular games

Votes: 65 30.7%
  • Other (specify) in your post

Votes: 23 10.8%

• Total voters

the_shadow

Arcane
While Diablo does get boring quickly, I think what I like about it (and RPGs in general) is the notion of slowly becoming more and more powerful, and utilising a changing skill set to deal with enemies. This is part of the reason I hate beginning RPG scenarios at a high level (eg. Mask of the Betrayer, Throne of Bhaal), as you already have the most powerful skills and spells, and combat simply consists of spamming the most powerful combination. On the other hand, gradually increasing in power allows for tactical flexibility and a sense of achievement when you hit your apex.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
In Diablo 2, playing necro and paladin made me feel somewhat clever. It wasn't just empty button mashing. Also, the feedback from your actions carried over gloriously. The power of weapons/attacks you use, and such. I haven't had this feeling in any similar game since.

Also, town was used properly for downtime between heroics, unlike Dim-ablo 3. And the overall audiovisual design just fit together perfectly.

Diablo 2 was considered a casual clicker at the time, but compared to modern imitations and its sequel, it is a masterpiece.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
In Diablo 2, playing necro and paladin made me feel somewhat clever.

I found necros to be second-rate as duelers & pkers, but their versatility and command in PvE & coop is unquestioned.

They seem to have it all (though of course no class does): crippling curses, ranged damage (direct, cone, homing), AoEs (corpse explosion!), passive killing, obstruction (bone wall/prison), varied summons, EZ magic find, tankability and +aura from iron golem. I just wish Revives had been coded with better pathfinding and targeting speed; they always seemed sluggish compared to skellies and golems.

It wasn't just empty button mashing.

None of the classes are.

Diablo 2 was considered a casual clicker at the time

By whom?

but compared to modern imitations and its sequel, it is a masterpiece.

It's a masterpiece, fullstop.

Last edited:

pippin

I have some magazines from the late 90s and Diablo 1 was considered to be a dumbed down Gauntlet clone, a somewhat uninspired clicker game. Plenty of 7/10 scores. However Diablo 2 was received as a masterpiece, the best rpg of all time, 100/100. Obviously by that time Blizzard had everyone bought. But if you hated Diablo 2 on release you were probably a jaded person. It was a really fun game, even if it wasn't a true rpg. Games don't have the kind of "personality" Diablo 1 and 2 had anymore.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Diablo2 had this old Blizzard touch. I remember holding the box and knowing I was in for something magical. I've been jaded since 1996, but Diablo2 held my attention for a long ass time... just a joyful experience through and through.

Isn't it amazing how lame even Diablo3 cutscenes are compared to it, nevermind all the other design decisions... and the overboiled plot which makes you stand and listen to shit instead of being able to move and listen at the same time...

They killed Deckard Cain because they didn't need him to identify items anymore. #cainneverforget

In derp world of Diablo3, your axe increases your spell power and dumb barbarian has ancient wisdom necessary to identify his own items. The entire game has been streamlined, narrowed to focus on its key demographic of 12-year-olds and Jay Wilson, but then I repeat myself.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Diablo2 had this old Blizzard touch. I remember holding the box and knowing I was in for something magical. I've been jaded since 1996, but Diablo2 held my attention for a long ass time... just a joyful experience through and through.

Isn't it amazing how lame even Diablo3 cutscenes are compared to it, nevermind all the other design decisions... and the overboiled plot which makes you stand and listen to shit instead of being able to move and listen at the same time...

They killed Deckard Cain because they didn't need him to identify items anymore. #cainneverforget

In derp world of Diablo3, your axe increases your spell power and dumb barbarian has ancient wisdom necessary to identify his own items. The entire game has been streamlined, narrowed to focus on its key demographic of 12-year-olds and Jay Wilson, but then I repeat myself.
I disliked D3 because Blizzard killed the gothic grimness of previous games and used shitty WoW cartoony style instead.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In derp world of Diablo3, your axe increases your spell power

Makes perfect sense, the weapon is used as a focus. Nevermind that you can have your weapon increase your spell power in Diablo 2 as well. Diablo 3's itemization easily blows Diablo 2's out of the water these days and the fact that the core system is so well thought out (including having weapon affect damage for all classes) is part of why whoever inherited the game from Jay Wilson did such a good job fixing it.

Lhynn

Arcane

Makes perfect sense, the weapon is used as a focus. Nevermind that you can have your weapon increase your spell power in Diablo 2 as well. Diablo 3's itemization easily blows Diablo 2's out of the water these days and the fact that the core system is so well thought out (including having weapon affect damage for all classes) is part of why whoever inherited the game from Jay Wilson did such a good job fixing it.
Stop being retarded retardedmind, dps being the governing stat of everything is shit, and makes no sense. Its neither coherent nor interesting.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
And what, the int +20 two handers that were instantly garbaged in diablo 1 and 2 were interesting?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Stop being retarded retardedmind, dps being the governing stat of everything is shit, and makes no sense. Its neither coherent nor interesting.

wtf does this even mean

DPS is the most important part in 3, like it was in 2, and like it is in every diablo clone, but it's not the governing stat of everything.

Lhynn

Arcane

wtf does this even mean

DPS is the most important part in 3, like it was in 2, and like it is in every diablo clone, but it's not the governing stat of everything.
It means how sharp your axe is shouldnt matter when you are casting spells you dumbfuck.

And what, the int +20 two handers that were instantly garbaged in diablo 1 and 2 were interesting?
Its magic bro. What about the +1 agility clothing or the +1 strength jumpsuit in new vegas?
If you are going to bitch about something, bitch about something relevant.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
It means how sharp your axe is shouldnt matter when you are casting spells you dumbfuck.

Why not? Is there a set rule as to how spells have to function in real life that the game is breaking? :lol: You irredeemable imbecile.

It's obvious people like you are just anti-fanboys, who are just as dumb and obnoxious as real fanboys and even less self aware with regards to your bitch status. You'd think you'd bitch about something a little harder to explain, like weapon affecting how strong you kick as a monk, but no, you bitch about a fucking wizard's magic not functioning realistically.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You are beneath my fists.

Damned Registrations

So what if it's magic? That doesn't make it interesting. They were items that were literally worthless. Might as well add 19 million different coloured auras to axes and add them to the drop tables as well. It's magic so it makes sense and is therefore good according to Lhynn.

Lhynn

Arcane

Why not? Is there a set rule as to how spells have to function in real life that the game is breaking? :lol: You irredeemable imbecile.
Because you want some sort of believable reason you stupid shit. its not only about how sharp it is, its also about how fast you can swing it? the fuck. are you that pants on head retarded that its just a lazy system designed by idiots?

It's obvious people like you are just anti-fanboys, who are just as dumb and obnoxious as real fanboys and even less self aware with regards to your bitch status. You'd think you'd bitch about something a little harder to explain, like weapon affecting how strong you kick as a monk, but no, you bitch about a fucking wizard's magic not functioning realistically.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Weapon dps affects everything, i could have used monks as an example, except i didnt play the game extensively, an hour at most, because i found it to be a revolting piece of trash, and this was like 3 months ago with all the "improvements". So i could be forgiven for forgetting that classes are nothing more than skill packs and that virtually any other class works in the exact same retarded way.

You are beneath my fists.
Now i understand why they call you a subhuman piece of trash, you cannot even have a an argument without devolving into a retarded monkey.

So what if it's magic? That doesn't make it interesting. They were items that were literally worthless. Might as well add 19 million different coloured auras to axes and add them to the drop tables as well. It's magic so it makes sense and is therefore good according to Lhynn.
Where did i say that?
We have weapons that increase intelligence in D&D and other PnP systems as well. A wizard did it is a perfectly reasonable explanation that fits both setting and game design in a coherent way, so yes, it is in fact acceptable. As for itemization in diablo 1, every item has an affix and a prefix that describe the enchancements of the item in question, something that became standard practice nowadays (not claiming diablo 1 invented it, there were probably many games with that system before, but it sure as hell popularized it).

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Because you want some sort of believable reason you stupid shit. its not only about how sharp it is, its also about how fast you can swing it? the fuck. are you that pants on head retarded that its just a lazy system designed by idiots?

Obviously if the wizard turns the weapon's physical properties into metaphysical ones that he then uses to power his spells then weapon weight would factor in. Anything else would be... unrealistic. :smug:

You worthless bag of vomit.

Weapon dps affects everything,

No it doesn't. It doesn't even affect all damage. You malignant teracunt.

i didnt play the game extensively, an hour at most

The key to understanding the codex. :hmmm:

Now i understand why they call you a subhuman piece of trash, you cannot even have a an argument without devolving into a retarded monkey.

lol @ this hypocritical piece of shit. Did you forget how you started your comment in this thread:

"Stop being retarded retardedmind"

Now you cry like the bitch that you are because I fed you your own excrement. Eat shit.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Diablo 3 is a very dumbed down game. Most damage is based on weapon damage. this is vastly inferior to the highly complex and elaborate class system in Diablo 2 where damage was based on two sources: weapon damage and +skills.

Damned Registrations

Stacking +skills was SOOOOO fascinating though. And 'a wizard did it' so that makes it super realistic and ultra cool!

Nobody makes two handed swords that increase intelligence in DnD btw, because that is a retarded fucking idea. Why would a wizard want such a thing as opposed to a ring or something? Why would a warrior want such a thing as opposed to a weapon that was a better weapon? Why would anyone ever create such a thing? Such believable. Much real.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

EHEKduL.jpg

Damned Registrations

It wouldn't be very accurate even if it was up to date. 7 gems and 33 runes sounds nice on paper, in practice almost all the runes and gems were utter garbage. The only gems that were decent were skulls. The runes that were worth a damn for socketing were so rare you could spend an entire lifetime playing the game and never find one. You'd certainly never find enough to piss them away on customization instead of making the appropriate runeword.

And the helm in that pic is basically trash for all the classes that have class specific helms, because of COURSE they want a class specific helm, which MUST have the appropriate +skills for their build, because that shit was all important. Basically every character had slots like this, and it made the loot system really fucking terrible. 99% of everything was crap, regardless of rarity. A tiny sliver of items were useful to any particular class/build. Diablo 3 merely continued that trend.

Lhynn

Arcane
Obviously if the wizard turns the weapon's physical properties into metaphysical ones that he then uses to power his spells then weapon weight would factor in. Anything else would be... unrealistic. :smug:
What physical properties, what would be the metaphysical property equivalent? how would it even make sense that a ceremonial dagger or a fetish is a worse magical focus than a claymore?

You worthless bag of vomit.
Classy, but you still fail at explaining anything, even your retarded ass headcannon you stupid fanboy.

No it doesn't. It doesn't even affect all damage. You malignant teracunt.
I know, thats not what we are discussing tho, we are discussing weapons.

The key to understanding the codex.
We arent discussing anything that 15 minutes into the game hadnt covered you retarded fanboy.

lol @ this hypocritical piece of shit. Did you forget how you started your comment in this thread:
"Stop being retarded retardedmind"
Shut up retardedmind, theres a difference between insulting and claiming you are winning an argument when you clearly arent. and doing it by saying something as retarded "you are beneath my fist" :lol:. Seriously, you are a stupid cuck that seems to live in a separate reality all alone, fapping to incompetent efforts that are targeted to the lowest common denominator.

Now you cry like the bitch that you are because I fed you your own excrement. Eat shit.
As i already stated retartetmind, yours wasnt even an insult, it was a nonsensical phrase i would expect of someone that escaped of an asylum. Forgot to take your medication?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
What physical properties, what would be the metaphysical property equivalent? how would it even make sense that a ceremonial dagger or a fetish is a worse magical focus than a claymore?

Size, weight, shape, etc. The ceremonial dagger or fetish provides additional bonuses that are uniquely useful to the witchdoctor and which he cannot find on a claymore via enchantments, the object itself is not necessarily a better focus than a claymore.

Classy, but you still fail at explaining anything, even your retarded ass headcannon you stupid fanboy.

No, I've explained it successfully and in far more detail than necessary in the first place. It takes a considerable level of autism to demand detailed explanations for abstractions in a videogame focused on just slaughtering huge numbers of monsters in the first place.

I know, thats not what we are discussing tho, we are discussing weapons.

Yes, we were discussing your false claim (since you have no idea what you're talking about) that weapons affect all damage. They don't.

We arent discussing anything that 15 minutes into the game hadnt covered you retarded fanboy.

Yes we are moron, there is one item that converts your health regeneration into an aura that damages enemies instead. Weapon damage never factors into the calculation. You wouldn't know about this item because you're not gonna run into it in the first 15 minutes, you stupid motherfucker. Weapon damage usually (but not always) affects damage.

Shut up retardedmind, theres a difference between insulting and claiming you are winning an argument when you clearly arent. and doing it by saying something as retarded "you are beneath my fist" :lol:. Seriously, you are a stupid cuck that seems to live in a separate reality all alone, fapping to incompetent efforts that are targeted to the lowest common denominator.

Of course I am winning the argument, you were arguing that it makes no sense for a wizard to power his spell with an axe, as if there is some sort of real life rules as to how spells can and cannot be powered. :lol: You are a loser and a mental midget who latches onto extremely stupid arguments because proper critiques require effort and an IQ above room temperature.

As i already stated retartetmind, yours wasnt even an insult, it was a nonsensical phrase i would expect of someone that escaped of an asylum. Forgot to take your medication?

:lol:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Arguing with Mastermind. What's next? Arguing with Volo? :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom