Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FOnline: Ashes of Phoenix, a free Fallout MMORPG

Shangalar

Barely Literate
Hello everyone!

After almost 2 years of intense development, time has come to present you a new MMORPG taking place in the post-apocalyptic universe of Fallout. It is called FOnline: Ashes of Phoenix, and it's a game oriented around open PvP.

logo.png

In 2077, bombs of the Great War ravaged the whole planet, or almost. We're now in 2220, in Arizona. The center of Phoenix' city is one of the exceptions, spared by nuclear fire, isolated and ignored by the rest of the world for nearly 150 years.

Eventually, a rumor speaking of plentiful resources and intact buildings has been spread into the Wasteland. Locals but also outsiders showed up, wishing to take over this new eldorado. In this chaotic and conflicting situation, dozens of lonely adventurers are seizing their chance as well.

You are a Wastelander, recently arrived in Arizona. Guided by your own motivations, you'll have the choice to join one of the four powers in place and take part in the conquest of the city.

worldmap.jpg

FOnline: Ashes of Phoenix features an old-school gameplay, very close to the first Fallout games, but transposed in a massively multiplayer context with four distinct sides in which players will gather. The game is entirely in real time and works with a revisited action point system. Nearly all the Fallout 1 and 2 game systems are there, but reworked and improved. Plenty of elements and features have been introduced too, graphics, items, a random assignment system or a fame system summarizing your PvP accomplishments are some examples.

Here is a non-exhaustive list of what AoP has to offer:

- A new region of the Fallout world to explore around the city of Phoenix, a giant location with dozens of connected quarters where everything can happen.

- An advanced system of factions and reputation, including private bases for player platoons, merchants, assignments and more, regrouped inside faction headquarters where you can rest between missions and meet new mates to explore the Wasteland.

- A completely reworked character system with hundreds of viable profiles, guarantying that you can actually create any character you want and develop it on the long term, while still being competitive against other players. No level cap, but a soft cap at level 24, where evolving your character further will make it rather more versatile than strictly more powerful.

- A deeply revised combat system fully in real time with the introduction of a new Action Points system, new burst mechanics, deployable weapons, covers, squads and many more features implying personal and group strategies for an exciting and ruthless combat experience.

- A strong PvP system stimulating fair savage PvP and involving the control of Phoenix. Twelve quarters can be claimed, strategy and smart moves matter more than ever. Exploring Phoenix underground dungeons can also be the occasion for player groups to ambush each other.

- A huge diplomacy potential with the presence of four main factions: Jim & Jack & Joe Lawyer Agency, the Family, the Brahminboys and the V-Technologists. Player platoons will deeply influence the diplomacy of their faction.

- A vast equipment composed of hundreds of weapons and many armors. Multiple new items have been added, like new grenades, traps, spears, energy SMGs and many more. Those items bring a new dimension to PvP, like smoke grenades, Incinerators or the legendary Bozar heavy sniper rifle. Every player should find multiple suitable combinations of weapons and armors for his playstyle.

- A vast crafting system including the search for relics, exchanged with your faction for blueprints unlocking more advanced weapons through different tech trees. Your character is able to be fully independant without suffering from any power gap with other player characters.

- A strong economy based on player trades, smart scavenging and crafting where bottle caps and equipment in general are more difficult to stockpile.

- A completely new interface optimized for PvP including a new Pipboy, called the Cheapboy and working both as an intel provider and an encyclopedia.

- Enhanced NPCs for a more natural and dynamic experience. Raiders roam the ruins of Phoenix, packs of wild animals are out for blood in the Wastes and friendly travelers might come to your aid. You never know what's hiding behind the next corner.

- A maximal randomization makes sure every journey in the Wastes is a new experience. Loots, mobs and even assignments you can get from your faction will lead you to new places and situations in which you have to adapt and quickly react.

- A mini-adventure tutorial will introduce some of the game mechanics and give you the occasion to play safely on your side before joining the actual game field.

General information

FOnline: Ashes of Phoenix is a fan game entirely free to play. It is a tribute to the excellent universe of Fallout, a way for it to be discovered by new people and our own vision of it in multiplayer.

You need to own a copy of Fallout 2 in order to play. Concretely, you’ll need two files called ‘MASTER.dat’ and ‘CRITTER.dat’ located in your Fallout 2 directory, which contain Fallout graphical assets used by Ashes of Phoenix.

The 1.0 version of the game will be available soon (within a few days/weeks) and the server will be opened to everyone. The officiel date will announced as soon as it is confirmed.

Official website: http://fonline-aop.net
Moddb page: http://www.moddb.com/games/fonline-ashes-of-phoenix
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/FOnlineAOP

Finally, we're regularly releasing dev diaries to talk about the game. Your opinions and comments are welcome!

Thanks for your attention, and maybe we'll see each other soon in the Wasteland!

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
remember to keep us updated with delightful drama when you get sued by bethesda.

Dr Tomo

Learned
it's a game oriented around open PvP

Ugh well it looks like Bethesda might not have to sue them since the game is probably going to be dead already, there is a reason why we don't see open pvp mmo's anymore and the ones that are are dying or dead.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Open PvP is the fun of FOnline, especially if you're not a carebear. There's just something animalistic about the innate chaos of the wasteland.

If your MMO isn't welcoming to new players, it will forever be a niche for a hardcore crowd that drives everyone away.

I believe a Fallout MMO can be made in the veins of traditional MMOs like WoW, even though that will already severely cripple world reactivity and other mechanics. But a PvP-based Fallout MMO... it's just a den of shit with Fallout textures at that point.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The Brazilian Slaughter You can have NPC Raiders in a Fallout game just fine. Relying on players, however, to "role-play a faction" is going to be a disaster in 99% of the cases.

I meant in the sense of freedom. A Fallout rpg with PvP exclusive areas instead of a open PvP world where non-PvP areas are the exception doesn't make sense unless its in a very enclosed area, say, inside a Vault or around a big, lawful city full of cops and guards.

Yeah it certainly doesn't. That's why if I was making a Fallout MMO, it would be PvE only. I would explain lore-wise why the players are all on the same side (they are all Vault 13 citizens), and the overall experience would be better for it.

The Brazilian Slaughter You can have NPC Raiders in a Fallout game just fine. Relying on players, however, to "role-play a faction" is going to be a disaster in 99% of the cases.
The 1% is having a machete gang rapist faction.

sexbad Tell your boy to get the BTP crew together, he's playing Fallout right now.

Not sure if the armour models are there to make it work, but I reckon you could pull together a Clockwork Orange themed faction called 'My Droogs'. Just have all the internet slang and mmo retardation count as droog-speak.

flabbyjack

Arcane
We're the 1%

About the Phoenix video... post-apocalyptic Phoenix looks much better than the current Phoenix metropolitan area (Arizona, USA). For example:
iJagiM.jpg

r8xTdR.jpg

Last edited:

Redeye

Arcane
Is anyone playing FOnline 2?

I'm bored as hell in there, hardly doing anything. Most days I don't even log on, even then just for an hour of grinding (to build a huge bomb stockpile) since there are few if any trollable targets and no one I am interested in playing with.

I have piles of starter crap available (especially automatic shotguns and M60s and Leather mk2/Combat Leather) for anyone who wants to give it a try. If we can synchronize time zones we could human wave/annoy the Town Control PvPers, at least.

Bombs don't work in the easy towns :(

NCR- people are too smart, and CA is so common there is no joy in destroying it.

Is anyone playing FOnline 2?

I'm bored as hell in there, hardly doing anything. Most days I don't even log on, even then just for an hour of grinding (to build a huge bomb stockpile) since there are few if any trollable targets and no one I am interested in playing with.

I have piles of starter crap available (especially automatic shotguns and M60s and Leather mk2/Combat Leather) for anyone who wants to give it a try. If we can synchronize time zones we could human wave/annoy the Town Control PvPers, at least.

Bombs don't work in the easy towns :(

NCR- people are too smart, and CA is so common there is no joy in destroying it.

Been a few months since we stopped. We stopped because there were still many issues with the game we want adressed - Like the fact caravan ambushes are ridiculous atm (people teleport in the middle of firefights) and the fact quest locations can only be entered in real time.

I'm waiting for Ashes of Phoenix to launch, if some of the old crew fell like it I could summon a few guys and we go together for some rape and plunder.

Shangalar

Barely Literate
Hello everyone!

The third dev diary is out. This time we talk about skills, and detail some of the options available in term of character building and combat tactics. This video shows some of the most advanced features of the game, that will enable complex dynamic gameplay for both individuals and groups. We hope you'll enjoy what you'll see and we look forward for your feedback!

naossano

Cipher
Then, the Decline must have started in 2008 with the first Fonline server game. (there was a decline in 2008, but this was a different game)
Those games are MMO, not RPG. Dozen of players could end up fighting each other on a same map.
It would be nightmarish to wait for dozen of players turns, not mentioning all those who go AFK.
Most Fonline servers lock the public areas in RT, and allow to choose between RT & TB on the random encounters, in which the number of player is generally low.
(and i love TB/isometric, much more than FPP)

Also, i have hard time considering decline when i see new free games still using the ressources of Fo1-Fo2.
It keeping the interest for these games pretty much alive IMO.

Not mentioning the fact that the Fonline tools, initially used for MMO, will end up giving birth to new actual RPG, like the Van Buren rebirth under Hexer's team.
So this "decline" generated the tools for creating the game i am expecting the most, for the following years. (fortunately, is not the only one i am expecting)

But, anyway, i doesn't mean that everyone should like MMO, real-time, or multiplayer games. It is up to anyone taste.

About this one in particular, it has the main advantage of rethinking a lot of the Fonline usual gameplay, with a connected gameworld, a huge city, critters roaming on the streets, open factions, and so many other stuff. I doubt someone who doesn't like Fonline would enjoy it, but for those who like it or those who never tried it, it looks like a promising experience. It might also be usefull to show the potential of Fonline tools, as, not unlike Van Buren, it add a lot of new mechanics into the bunch.

Also, if we end up disapointed, we would only have lost a few minutes/hours, not money, not the downfall of a beloved franchise.

subotaiy

Cipher
It is an improvement comparing to the poorly implemented TB combat F1,2 have anyway, don't know what you're all dreaming.

naossano

Cipher
Real time is not an improvement compared with Turn-based or first-person perspective compared with isometric.
Those are different style, not upgrades of the same model. It is like saying blue is an improvement over red.
You could argue, although that Fallout Tactics TB combat system is better that Fallout 2 TB combat system, as it add height and multiple characters control, to the previous possibilities.
It tries to do the same thing, but with more options.

epeli

Arcane
No matter where you go, there's always one carebear in FOnline threads bitching about open PVP and wishing for a themepark MMO in Fallout universe... :lol:

Seriously. There are plenty of WoW clones for people like shihonage. No need to ruin Fallout, even though I'm afraid Bethesda will do it sooner or later in any case.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Seriously. There are plenty of WoW clones for people like shihonage. No need to ruin Fallout

No need to "ruin" Fallout's long-standing history as a MMORPG?

Oh wait.

When it comes to shaping the game into a completely different genre, we're on virgin territory here. It's already a different game. A third-party MMO with realtime combat and Fallout stats and sprites.

There is however such a thing as common sense and experience. Previous attempts at freeform PvP have been abysmal, because they made the game into a hostile environment, limiting it to a small group of hardcore 13-year-olds. This isn't limited to Fallout, it will happen to any MMO designed in such a disbalanced way.

So if you enjoy having a small server population... best of luck. To me, however, it goes against the whole "MASSIVE" part of Massively Multiplayer.

EDIT: On another note, the video diary guy has MY VOICE. When I opened that video I thought it was mine. Fallout cloners turn out to be clones themselves, news at 11!

Last edited:

epeli

Arcane
No need to ruin Fallout's long-standing history as a gaming classic. I mean, I definitely don't want to see AAA+++ popamole shooter marketed as Fallout. Nor a WoW clone. Hell, even Oblivion With Guns™ was better than either of those options, although it already had the level of decline required to be a themepark MMO.

Unlike themeparks, a sandbox MMO can capture the freedom and harshness of Fallout setting perfectly, but I should stress that FOnlines definitely aren't perfectly executed concepts.

I'm not sure why you willfully ignore the existence of Eve Online and even the pioneer of the entire genre, early Ultima Online. It doesn't lend any credibility to your argument, it just makes you look willfully ignorant. :lol:

I don't like small servers with a few thousand pop (ie. most MMOs on the market), I prefer one unified world run by hundreds of thousands of players, something actually "MASSIVE". (Not that arbitrary large number of players on a server has any meaning if player interactions are artifically limited by game mechanics.)
But you should already know and understand that becoming truly massive is obviously not the goal of FOnlines. They have to stay low-key for reasons mentioned in the very first reply to this thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom