Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FM--Towns?

Jaqen

Novice
Hi all,

Are FM-Towns separate releases for a system better then the pc (at the time)? Were they not interchangeable?

Is it better to use FM-Towns versions for emulators?

Thanks

Luigi

Barely Literate
Usually the original platform for a game is the better one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_Towns

edit

I see that there are almost no fm-towns originals. Only ports but some with better music and sound. I still would use the original platform version for the genuine experience.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm not quite understanding the OPs question.

But if the question is "Is the FM-Towns version of a game better than the original release?" then the answer is "sometimes". Loom is a good example. The PC talkie version omits lots of dialogue that can be found in the original floppy disk non-talkie version. The FM-Towns version has all the floppy disk dialogue, and in speech form as well.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also, they did a Zak McCracken remake for FM Towns which hasn't been released on any other platform. Better graphics, better music.

Also, the FM Towns versions of adventures usually work with ScummVM, too, so there's no reason not to pick them over the PC version if they're better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNR7rFx7Cqo
Fucking awesome.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
JarlFrank said:
Also, they did a Zak McCracken remake for FM Towns which hasn't been released on any other platform. Better graphics, better music.
Same with Maniac Mansion, though the graphics eventually got ported to PC with the unofficial Maniac Mansion Deluxe.

The definitive Dungeon Master version is also the FM-Towns one thanks to the very, very nice CD music added, and the ability to flawlessly import into the FM-Towns version of Chaos Strikes Back (which also has music).

Ultima 6 must also be experienced, if only because it's the only way to hear the entire Origin team (circa 1990) doing some so bad it's good voice acting. Not recommended for a regular full run though as the voices are... distracting.

made

Arcane
Unkillable Cat said:
Loom is a good example. The PC talkie version omits lots of dialogue that can be found in the original floppy disk non-talkie version. The FM-Towns version has all the floppy disk dialogue, and in speech form as well.
FM towns version don't have no speech. Where'd you hear that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom