Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News First Wasteland 2 LA screenshot revealed

Wasteland 2
Looks nice, but those walls. The technology used to build them must have been incredibly advanced. Probably the same magic they used for the arches in PoE ;)

:M

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinforced_concrete

reuters-shanghai-apartment.jpg

SoupNazi

I'm sorry but this looks like a Facebook/tablet game. And I don't necessarily mean graphics "quality" but art direction, object placement, etc. So very bland.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Ăśbermensch Developer
It's good to see that somebody has been maintaining the water supply to Los Angeles despite a nuclear war. LA is a desert. I don't believe there would be vast forests and jungles covering the ruins of the city. The reality would be sun baked desert with very little vegetation. Closer to the boneyard of Fallout 1 then what were seeing here.

That must be the million they spent on scientific realism.

The only thing that makes L.A. occasionally green are the canals. When they broke down along with irrigation systems Los Angeles would look the exact opposite of that screenshot.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The issue with the Unity store assets is that they don't fit together. Look at the screenshot, besides the crabs, there are like 6 cars on that image... and all of them are of different sizes and detail level. The red car to the left is almost twice as large as the one right next to it, and it's clearly much more detailed.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Ăśbermensch Developer
The issue with the Unity store assets is that they don't fit together. Look at the screenshot, besides the crabs, there are like 6 cars on that image... and all of them are of different sizes and detail level. The red car to the left is almost twice as large as the one right next to it, and it's clearly much more detailed.

:bravo:

Exactly what I was talking about. It's a dog's breakfast that looks like it was heaved together by an intern.

Xeon

Augur
IIRC they asked the people on their forum to make some assets for them to use and bought a 1M+ worth of assets or something I think.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
bought a 1M+ worth of assets or something I think.

Source?

I know that this game has a ridiculously low art budget. Wouldn't be surprised if it's lower than that. Maybe much lower.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
bought a 1M+ worth of assets or something I think.

Source? I don't remember anything like that.

I know that this game has a ridiculously low art budget. Wouldn't be surprised if it's lower than that.

Brother None quoting Fargo, right here at the Codex. If I remember correctly, it was not spent a million dollars, it was saved a million dollars using Unity assets.

Xeon

Augur
I think I read that in one of Fargo's interviews that was listed here. said it saved them a lot of time or something.

Will try and and find it but Brother None would probably be the better person to ask if this is true or not, Sorry.

Edit:
Yea, Davaris is right. the thread.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Brian Fargo learns a valuable lesson about why you shouldn't listen to fans when they all tell you "spend all the extra money on gameplay, not graphics."

A couple more months until we find out if it was worth it. :)

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Brian Fargo learns a valuable lesson about why you shouldn't listen to fans when they all tell you "spend all the extra money on gameplay, not graphics."

Um, you know a fair amount of us have played this game (in whatever stage they'd like us to believe it's currently in) and experienced the result of all that extra fliff being spent on gameplay, right? I think by now most people are commenting on each new update with a "Oh, cool. Yet another mismatched, poorly-implemented bunch of amateur hour shite" and not, you know, "Oh, noes! The graphics!"

And again, there's a massive difference between "graphix, bro!" and "bad art direction, poorly implemented".

almondblight

Arcane
It's good to see that somebody has been maintaining the water supply to Los Angeles despite a nuclear war. LA is a desert. I don't believe there would be vast forests and jungles covering the ruins of the city. The reality would be sun baked desert with very little vegetation. Closer to the boneyard of Fallout 1 then what were seeing here.

As we learned in the Thwacke! discussion, this isn't something that lowly proles like ourselves would ever be able to understand or judge accurately. You need to hire PhDs as scientific advisors to figure out if LA is a desert or not.

Edit: Though the answer seems to be not. But I'm not a PhD, so you can't really trust me.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Um, you know a fair amount of us have played this game (in whatever stage they'd like us to believe it's currently in) and experienced the result of all that extra fliff being spent on gameplay, right? I think by now most people are commenting on each new update with a "Oh, cool. Yet another mismatched, poorly-implemented bunch of amateur hour shite" and not, you know, "Oh, noes! The graphics!"
I'm not going to judge until it's feature and content complete, and they have two more months of crunch time to make all kinds of drastic changes.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not going to judge until it's feature and content complete, and they have two more months of crunch time to make all kinds of drastic changes.

:notsureifserious:

Are you mocking me...?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom