Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First RPGs with real-time party-based isometric (or pseudo-iso) combat?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm actually just curious: what CRPGs from the 1980s-beginning of the 1990s can you recall that were among the first to have isometric (or pseudo-iso) real-time party-based combat?*

(* Final Fantasy IV's ATB combat does not qualify 'cause it's essentially static and calling it isometric is too much of a stretch.)

Off the top of my head, I can name some 1992 CRPGs, such as Ultima VII and Four Crystals of Trazere aka Legend (info here 'cause this one's obscure) .

Four Crystals of Trazere had a sequel, Worlds of Legend: Son of the Empire (1993) (info). 1993 also saw the release of Shadoworlds, one of my favorite games (info); its prequel Shadowlands hails from 1992.

Also Darklands obviously -- 1992 as well, real time with pause.

Had there been any such RPGs before that? Am I forgetting something really obvious maybe?

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
How about Megatraveller 1: The Zhodani Conspiracy from 1990? It has top down view and real time combat.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

Patron
How about Megatraveler 1: The Zhodani Conspiracy from 1990? It has top down view and real time combat.

Hey, I didn't know Megatraveller was real-time!

So, to sum it up, so far 1990 = earliest top down party-based realtime RPG (Megatraveller); 1991 = earliest isometric realtime party-based RPG (Shadow Sorcerer).

belated

Augur
Legend had a sequel? Downloading!
(Still remember the spellmaking form Legend, so why not..)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MegaTraveller_1:_The_Zhodani_Conspiracy

The game's handling of ground combat received the most substantial criticism.[9]Computer Gaming World's editorial staff wrote that the game's real-time combat system is "handled so fast that players didn't have a chance in 90% of the battles."[6] According to reviewer L.S. Lichtmann, "Many are disappointed because the phased, tactical system of Traveller has been modified to have arcade game characteristics."[5] He also stated that the player does not compete on a "level playing field" when he or she must issue commands in real-time to individual party members engaged in combat while the computer simultaneously controls multiple non-player characters. Paragon responded to these criticisms by releasing an updated version of the game which gave the player the ability to pause the combat to issue orders to party members. But even after this update, some reviewers[11][20] still found that, whenever possible, it is still far easier for the party to flee from ground combat situations than to fight. Moreover, immediately after the player assumes control of the party at the start of the game, it is attacked by well-armed opponents. TheComputer Gaming World editorial staff criticized this design choice by stating that the "player would have to run away from the first encounter or be killed within two minutes of spending 30 minutes to an hour generating a character."[6]
:lol:

Crooked Bee

Patron
So, first real-time with pause party-based combat too?

Also those reviews sound somewhat Codexian :P

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
the atari st version of sundog was iso and is from 85, though the rpg elements in sundog are fairly light and there is no partay.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also those reviews sound somewhat Codexian :P

What's funny is that they're both popamole ("player would have to run away from the first encounter or be killed within two minutes of spending 30 minutes to an hour generating a character") AND Codexian.

Crooked Bee

Patron
the atari st version of sundog was iso and is from 85, though the rpg elements in sundog are fairly light and there is no partay.

Are you sure Sundog's combat was party-based? I seem to only recall ordering one single guy around but I can't really say for sure...

EDIT: Yeah, just saw you added "there is no party" to your post :P I only asked about party-based games in the OP!

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

Patron
what about sentinel worlds? it's mostly top-down.

Yeah I thought about Sentinel Worlds. Technically it qualifies - party-based and real-time. But the combat is weird: you do not really control your party members individually; you just control one of them and the others follow him/her around and attack automatically -- there's no way to give separate orders to individual character and you don't really manage your entire party in real-time. So I wouldn't call the combat truly party-based.

In other words Sentinel Worlds is kinda halfway there.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I first thought about The Summoning (92), and Veil of Darkness (93) when I read the thread, unfortunately, I think both are single character. Also, I think more people should play The Summoning.

Luzur

Good Sir
well i was going to say Darkmere for Amiga, but i remembered that you where alone in that game and that its from 1993.

Luzur

Good Sir
I first thought about The Summoning (92), and Veil of Darkness (93) when I read the thread, unfortunately, I think both are single character. Also, I think more people should play The Summoning.

you are alone in those games, yes.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Dusk of the Gods was before Summoning and VoD.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
REAL-TIME

PARTY-BASED

ISOMETRIC

For fuck's sake guys read the thread's title and OP before posting
:rpgcodex:

1991: Knights of Xentar

REAL-TIME: YES
PARTY-BASED: YES
ISOMETRIC: YES

WHAT'S THE FUCKING PROBLEM? ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom