Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information First-person Turn-based Sci-fi RPG StarCrawlers Now on Kickstarter

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
And FFS, you don't make a blobber with just 4 classes, having 4 more of them as stretch goals. Is like pitching a shooter that only has pistols and melee combat, with machine guns and shotguns pending on funding.

Haha, IIIRC Crytek suggested a similar strategy for their future Far Cry / Crysis games... so you get base equipment (knife and a cheap pistol) but you must pay for better weapons (via in game purchase though, not pledge ;))

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't see a problem with only 4 classes. If they can have different builds, why not?
For example - speaking in fantasy as that is easier - a typical warrior could be built into a DPS machine or a pure tank. A mage could be built into a DPS machine as well, or a control build (stun, confuse, etc.). The number of classes doesn't say much about the number of different builds.

Of course, I don't know if that is the case here.

Edit:

I just noticed this gem:
Lower the difficulty level for a casual dungeon dive or crank it to 11 and face fiendish traps, complex dungeons, and the toughest enemies.
It's one harder! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

That one made me back the project, even if I'm not too hyped.
If you don't get the reference, you have one funny movie to watch.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088258/
Bwahahahaha, even the IMDB rating goes up to 11.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You backed the project due the most obvious and repeated Spinal Tap reference? FFS bro, that's like backing a game because the developer quoted Monty Python.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Looked at KS, saw a backers only update.

Pass.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You backed the project due the most obvious and repeated Spinal Tap reference? FFS bro, that's like backing a game because the developer quoted Monty Python.
I know. I'm a sucker for that.

But then again, I have not seen any developer doing either of that. Mostly because it wouldn't make too much sense.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Looked at KS, saw a backers only update.

Pass.

Yeah, this is just stupid. They obviously think they can pull new backers by making "mysterious backers only" updates... fail!!! Same as the new RPG with CryEngine did... damn i already forgot the name.

Koschey

Arcane
you don't need to know to make an educated guess based on your gaming experience. considering their coloring corresponds to the degree in which they accuse her of lying/not being a pirate, i say it's a safe bet with gold being the best or most direct answer and the other two noticing something isn't right but not quite being able to pin it down.
I'm not saying you are necessarily wrong, but you are a bit hasty here. It could just as well be that the currently selected answer is highlighted in gold.

Overall, it's looking interesting enough to keep my eyes on it. Of course, if they start cranking out backer-exclusive updates, I won't get to see anything new that could convince me to back. :roll:

Ack, and again with the backer-exclusive ingame stuff. Legendary weapon does not have a cosmetic ring to it.

Hormalakh

Magister
monty python quotes by devs are directly proportional to final product quality.

Customer: Good Morning.
Developer: Good morning, Sir. Welcome to the StarCrawler’s kickstarter!
Customer: Ah, thank you, my good man.
Developer: What can I do for you, Sir?
Customer: Well, I was, uh, sitting in the public library on Thurmon Street just now, reading this article on RPGCodex by CrookedBee, and I suddenly came over all partisan.
Developer: Partisan, sir?
Customer: Engrossed.
Developer: Eh?
Customer: 'Ee, ah wor 'LOOKEE-loike!
Developer: Ah, interested!
Customer: In a nutshell. And I thought to myself, "a couple of classes will do the trick," so, I curtailed my interneting activites, sallied forth, and infiltrated your place of purveyance to negotiate the kickstarting of some entertaining intellectual property!
Developer: Come again?
Customer: I want to back your game.
Developer: Oh, I thought you were complaining about the sci-fi genre!
Customer: Oh, heaven forbid: I am one who delights in all manifestations of the Asimovean muse!
Developer: Sorry?
Customer: 'Ooo, Ah lahk a nice sci-fi, 'yer forced too!
Developer: So we can go on developing, can we?
Customer: Most certainly! Now then, some classes please, my good man.
Developer: (lustily) Certainly, sir. What would you like?
Customer: Well, eh, how about a little medic.
Developer: I'm, a-fraid we're fresh out of medics, sir.
Customer: Oh, never mind, how are you on space marines?
Developer: I'm afraid we never have that this early in the kickstarter, sir, we get it fresh during stretch goals.
Customer: Tish tish. No matter. Well, stout yeoman, your best Decker, if you please.
Developer: Ah! It's beeeen on order, sir, for two weeks. Was expecting it this morning.
Customer: 'T's Not my lucky day, is it? Aah, Geneticist?
Developer: Sorry, sir.
Customer: Alien Enforcer?
Developer: Normally, sir, yes. Today the developer’s van broke down.
Customer: Ah. Sniper?
Developer: Sorry.
Customer: Engineer? Scientist?
Developer: No.
Customer: Any Norweigan robots, per chance.
Customer: Cyborgs?
Customer: Nano-technologist?
Customer: Space Commander?
Customer: Alien brood mother?
Customer: Spaceship pilot?
Developer: (pause) No.
Customer: Mathematician?
Customer: Diplomat?
Customer: Droid, sharpshooter, space merchant, technician?
Customer: Soldier, perhaps?
Developer: Ah! We have Soldier, yessir.
Customer: (suprised) You do! Excellent.
Developer: Yessir. It's..ah,.....it's a bit runny...
Customer: Oh, I like it runny.
Developer: Well,.. It's very runny, actually, sir.
Customer: No matter. Fetch hither the soldier de la Belle France! Mmmwah!
Developer: I...think it's a bit runnier than you'll like it, sir.
Customer: I don't care how fucking runny it is. Hand it over with all speed.
Developer: Oooooooooohhh........! (pause)
Customer: What now?
Developer: The kickstarter's eaten it.
Customer: (pause) Has he.
Developer: She, sir.
Customer: (pause) Master Chief?
Customer: R2D2?
Customer: Jedi knights?
Customer: You...do *have* some classes, don't you?
Developer: (brightly) Of course, sir. It's a role-playing game, sir. We've got--
Customer: No no... don't tell me. I'm keen to guess.
Developer: Fair enough.
Customer: Uuuuuh, Juggernauts.
Developer: Yes?
Customer: Ah, well, I'll have some of that!
Developer: Oh! I thought you were talking to me, sir. Juggernaut Games, that's our name.
Customer: (pause) Xenos?
Developer: Uh, not as such.
Customer: Uuh, Chaos Demons?
Customer: Imperial Guards,
Customer: Tyranids,
Customer: Dark Eldaar,
Customer: Zerg,
Customer: Protoss,
Customer: Mentats?
Developer: Not *today*, sir, no.
Customer: (pause) Aah, how about fighters?
Developer: Well, we don't get much call for it around here, sir.
Customer: Not much ca-- it's the single most popular class in the world!
Developer: Not 'round here, sir.
Customer: (slight pause) and what IS the most popular class 'round hyah?
Developer: Computer Hackers, sir.
Customer: IS it.
Developer: Oh, yes, it's staggeringly popular in this manor, squire.
Customer: Is it.
Developer: It's our number one best seller, sir!
Customer: I see. Uuh...computer hackers, eh?
Developer: Right, sir.
Customer: All right. Okay. 'Have you got any?' he asked, expecting the answer 'no'.
Developer: I'll have a look, sir........nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnno.
Customer: It's not much of a game developer, is it?
Developer: Finest in the district!
Customer: (annoyed) Explain the logic underlying that conclusion, please.
Developer: Well, we’ve never made a buggy game, sir!
Customer: It's certainly uncontaminated by games....
Developer: (brightly) You haven't asked me about Mages, sir.
Customer: Would it be worth it?
Developer: Could be....
Customer: Have you --SHUT THAT BLOODY SCI-FI MUSIC OFF!
Developer: Told you sir....
Customer: (slowly) Have you got any mages?
Customer: Figures.Predictable, really I suppose. It was an act of purest optimism to have posed the question in the first place. Tell me:
Developer: Yessir?
Customer: (deliberately) Have you in fact got any classes here at all.
Developer: Yes, sir.
Customer: Really?
(pause)
Developer: No. Not really, sir.
Customer: You haven't.
Developer: No sir. Not a scrap. I was deliberately wasting your time, sir.
Customer: Well I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to shoot you.
Developer: Right-Oh, sir.
(The customer takes out a gun and shoots the Developer)
Customer: What a *senseless* waste of human life.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Excidium is fast becoming the new Skyway except with a mellow approach to his outright disgust of everything, lol.

Anyway, I think this looks sortta neat, will follow the campaign. But yep, the low amount of customization looks like a deal-breaker so far... looks like only 6 classes will be in the final game. CYOA looks alright though. CYOA is a grand way to do a lot with a limited budget, the arbitrary hatred for it strikes me as weird.

I can't help thinking about their statement "first person dungeon crawler is a genre that doesn't get that many games" though. We've had a ton of those recently. But no Temple of Elemental Evil-style isometric dungeon crawlers. Sad.

Last edited:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i think they meant tb ones... mmx doesn't count as a ton all by itself. and paper sorcerer, which i am ashamed to have forgotten.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I guess it depends if you count early access for W2, D:OS and AoD.

Also, if you consider mindshare, I think InXile and Obsidian blow away any blobber.

Shannow

Waster of Time
There can neither be too many TB blobbers nor too many ISOs, there can only be too few. So fuck your whining. Every new TB blobber and ISO fills a void that desperately needs filling and needs to make up for a mostly lost decade.

Eyeball

Arcane
So, 11 hours to go before Dickstarter ends. Sadly, they seem to be about 1500 dollars short of their "2nd extra playable class goal." So if you's haven't already, get yo kickstarter copy of the game now!

I'm actually very interested in this. It's stylish and looks very promising. I hope they don't fuck it up.

Nyast

Cipher
The fact that it's procedural worries me. A potential recipe for a disaster and a boring game :(

Eyeball

Arcane
By "procedural", are we talking about "maps, spawns and item drops are random?"

If so, it's my personal recipe for greatness.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
The fact that it's procedural worries me. A potential recipe for a disaster and a boring game :(
the quotient of shitty games with static content to good games with static content is way higher than the quotient of shitty games with procedural generation to good games with procedural generation, especially when you leave stuff coming out of japan out of it (japs suck at procedural generation in everything but shoot'em ups/ bullet hell shooters).

a good blobber with procedural dungeons would fucking rock.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom