Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part 1 coming August 25th

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So I checked, Eric Fenstermaker was a full time writer on South Park. Figuring out what he wrote is a bit tougher because it was such a collaborative process between OEI writers and Matt & Trey.

Well, if it's tough to tell what Eric wrote exactly, then maybe you could tell us, generally, which part(s) of the game Matt and Trey entrusted Obsidian to (co-)write and which part(s) they wrote fully by themselves? Or did you co-write pretty much every line and every character?

If that makes sense.

Athelas

Arcane
I updated some more names.

I could be wrong, but I think out of the entire list, Scottie and Darren probably have the most titles. Feargus and Parker are probably a close second. I might wrong though. I guess someone could check Moby Games, but they aren't always up to date (for example, last time I checked, they didn't have my Aliens Colonial Marines work listed).
Shouldn't you be grateful for that?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Well, if it's tough to tell what Eric wrote exactly, then maybe you could tell us, generally, which part(s) of the game Matt and Trey entrusted Obsidian to (co-)write and which part(s) they wrote fully by themselves? Or did you co-write pretty much every line and every character?

If that makes sense.

I would say at the end of the day, probably every single line was co-written. Matt and Trey work incredibly hard and were heavily involved. The most amazing part was they were doing all this SPatSoT stuff while they were doing Book of Mormon and their TV show, plus Lord knows what else. Hard working dudes.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Interesting. I thought Sawyer didn't join until later, although it makes sense. I hear Sawyer had to take over from Ferret Baudouin when he left during NWN2's production.

Probably worth saying that Scott Everts is a Black Isle / Fallout vet.

As far as I can tell, Josh's first project at Obsidian was as systems lead on Seven Dwarves, which was canceled, so he was moved to NWN2 first as a designer, then taking over as lead.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
As far as I can tell, Josh's first project at Obsidian was as systems lead on Seven Dwarves, which was canceled, so he was moved to NWN2 first as a designer, then taking over as lead.
Only loosely related but is it true that Sawyer joined Black Isle/Interplay first as a website maintainer or something like that?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Only loosely related but is it true that Sawyer joined Black Isle/Interplay first as a website maintainer or something like that?
Yes, he designed the Planescape Torment website. Then they started up Icewind Dale and asked if anyone knew anything about D&D, and he was the D&D master, so bam, instant junior design job.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Yes.

He went to the Black Isle Studio after work to nerd out over D&D because he spent all his time in college being a dungeon master. The depth of his nerd knowledge impressed the Black Isles guys sufficiently they decided to let him be a junior designer on Icewind Dale.

Source: The Matt Chat interview.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Re: Josh in to BIS, yes, that is the gist of what he told me as well.

He and Avellone took of Lead Design roles for NWN2 after Ferret left. I don't remember his role on Dwarves - but that could be right. I'll ask him when he gets back from the Fatherland.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom