Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News First Look at Night Dive's Unity-powered System Shock Remake

ortucis

Prophet
Sometimes I wish bloom was never invented. It's far too often used to cover up flaws, poor texture work and slapped on just to make stuff look "new" and atmospheric.

You can say that about pretty much everything, from SSAO, HDR to DOF.

It's the fault of developers overusing it, not the fault of technology, which does its job well when not in the hands of retards.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

It's the fault of developers overusing it, not the fault of technology, which does its job well when not in the hands of retards.
This cannot be said too much.
Don't blame the tech, blame the idiots.

Alchemist

Arcane

Yes, I know that - I'm not really blaming the tech and said it could be used well. Just venting frustration at how often it's not. I don't really want it to not exist. But good art direction has sadly fallen by the wayside as devs just pile on more special effects.

I was watching a Unity tutorial the other day where the guy was saying how great it is to use bloom because it helps you cover up your flaws. :argh:

ortucis

Prophet
I was watching a Unity tutorial the other day where the guy was saying how great it is to use bloom because it helps you cover up your flaws. :argh:

Like I said, in the hands of retards.

Bloom adds a lot to the atmosphere if used subtly. To be fair, the bloom abuse has gone down considerably in AAA scene. Now it exists in the Indie scene only... just like Motion Blur, SSAO and DOF abuse.

Zeriel

Arcane

Like I said, in the hands of retards.

Bloom adds a lot to the atmosphere if used subtly. To be fair, the bloom abuse has gone down considerably in AAA scene. Now it exists in the Indie scene only... just like Motion Blur, SSAO and DOF abuse.

DoF abuse is alive and well in AAA, probably the most irritating thing I run into actually. Mad Max was hilariously bad about it, it would apply depth of field to your character when you tried to look at him, the exact opposite of what DoF is supposed to do (blur out what you're NOT looking at).

ortucis

Prophet
DoF abuse is alive and well in AAA, probably the most irritating thing I run into actually. Mad Max was hilariously bad about it, it would apply depth of field to your character when you tried to look at him, the exact opposite of what DoF is supposed to do (blur out what you're NOT looking at).

DOF abuse will never go away as long as consoles keep getting FPS games. Gotta need that DOF for aiming through sights..

But DOF abuse has gone down in AAA games. I remember some games on Unreal 3 which actually had DOF applied to area which isn't the center of the screen. Apparently some idiots thought that on computer screens, our eyes are limited to 30 degree view angle in center only.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom