Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News First Look at Night Dive's Unity-powered System Shock Remake

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's actually... not bad. SS 1 is one of my all time favorite and I still play it every few years. Don't mind them doing this as long as it's a straight up remake and not some "re-imagining" or "dumbed-down for today's kiddos" version.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Nkp34Eg4x.png

Chromatic aberration is the new bloom.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Can't be worse than the Syndicate reboot in terms of abusing post-processing effects.
I do wish they kept more color in the levels, instead of turning everything into BLUEEEEEEEE

ortucis

Prophet
That's actually... not bad. SS 1 is one of my all time favorite and I still play it every few years. Don't mind them doing this as long as it's a straight up remake and not some "re-imagining" or "dumbed-down for today's kiddos" version.

The classic cyberpunk adventure, which went on to spawn a sequel and inspire Irrational Games' BioShock franchise, received a high-definition makeover, which is now available for purchase. But as Night Dive Studios' CEO Stephen Kick told Fast Company earlier this month, the company's next big project is to take the original game and completely reimagine it.

To be fair, from the screenshots it looks like they are just remaking it with slightly higher quality textures and slight less shit lighting. You have nothing to fear... unless they plan to make a console port, in that case whole UI will be re-imagined, among other things.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Hmmm... maybe this will make the game a bit more... playable.
I consider SS2 one of the best games ever made, but I could never get more than a few minutes into the first part.
The controls are just too cringeworthy, at least to me. Unfortunately.

What the hell is wrong with the controls? Missed the fucking options?

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Looks good enough to me if they're just updating the graphics and UI to run on modern systems. Not sure why people go out of their way to say how the 'graphics look like shit' on a few prototype screenshots. Who really cares at this point? Oh right, it's the edgy newfags trying to fit in to this shithole.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I had this unpleasant flashback after reading this article:

roa1--018.png

Fast forward in time.

Then some amateurs jumped on the "love letter" bandwagon peddling shovelware and begging for $$ because they are the faithful prophets of old school remakes Incline.

And gave the world this shit:
hqdefault.jpg

Weird. I just last night read article about Night Dive guy securing rights to SS then putting it up on GoG after some revising.
Stephen Kick, whoever he is.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/13/many-questions-system-shock-2-comes-to-gog/

Bros gotta kick kick's ass if he fucks up SS

quote from this "kicker"

What's your favorite game and why?
It’s a three way tie between System Shock 2, Dishonored and Beyond Good and Evil.

His game shelf looks okay..I guess

olHE5XYB3aRc.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

A few questionable products in this Bro's pad..."Homeworld"??? 1 & 2??
Some little plastic army men in the boxes? The virgin geek smell is strong on this one.

ulky3Zc7CeYq.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt..for now.
I'll be watching.

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Couldnt agree more with Rexor; why use Unity instead of Unreal? Even if it is easier to program it is still worse in almost wvery aspect to Unreal plus since they plan to have it on consoles I bet Unreal will run way better

Archibald

Arcane
I like how most of the talk is about unity and not about actual content.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Ah yes, I've always wanted to play SS running on unity with plenty of bloom and chromic aberration slapped on like it always was intended to be played.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I like how most of the talk is about unity and not about actual content.
Most peoples' qualms with Unity have to do with Unity games tending to be unoptimized as fuck, even though the graphics on screen of your usual Unity game do not differ that much from a 2004 game, yet it still somehow takes up more processing power.
Framerate for turn-based games on Unity like Pillars of Eternity or Shadowrun Returns doesn't matter that much, compared to a first-person action adventure game like System Shock 1 where you have to respond fast to threats or die trying.
It's true that it is mostly up to the developers to properly optimize their games regardless of what engines they use, although easier-to-use engines like Unity tend to lack control over the finer aspects of memory management. Which doesn't help if Unity is mostly used by novice programmers. Nor does it help that the studio in this case, Night Dive Studios, is only known for acquiring old IPs and re-releasing them on GOG after making them work on modern computers through DOSBox, which doesn't say that much about their mad coding skillz.

But look on the bright side, even if the remake turns out to be an unoptimized piece of shit, you'll experience it with the same framerate gamers had back in 1994!

Fairfax

Arcane
The only Unity game that looks good and runs smoothly is Endless Legend. I couldn't believe it when I read it was using Unity, but that just shows how good Amplitude's programmers are, and makes you wonder what it'd look/run like if they used UE4.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Ah yes, I've always wanted to play SS running on unity with plenty of bloom and chromic aberration slapped on like it always was intended to be played.

They've also totally Remastered™ STRIFE. Thanks to these wizards that game now runs on modern computors, they also enhanced the product by adding a plethora of much needed next-gen features such as damage indicators, bloom, achievements etc.

ss_c29b81c316fc5aa1f640e857c8dd091d8ee47986.jpg
AAD94D224027CE1D87E5A1B6960A8CB34D34CD04

hrcvoxs.jpg
http://store.steampowered.com/app/317040/

Last edited:

Alchemist

Arcane
Too much bloom and too monochromatic - the old graphics are much more readable, and have better art direction.

Sometimes I wish bloom was never invented. It's far too often used to cover up flaws, poor texture work and slapped on just to make stuff look "new" and atmospheric. It can be used sparingly to good effect - but far too many devs seem incapable of using it with subtlety.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom