Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview First Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay details revealed

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

The guy is black....that will be a turn off trigger for 90% of the Codex....

True Deus Vult Lyric Suite Irenaeus Aryan playing a game with a world designed by a Jigger???

since when is the codex racist?

Heh, there's enough of a vocal minority to make it seem like a majority...then add the edgelords and suddenly it seems like we all beat up a coon on the way home....

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Mebrilia I'm sorry you had to put up with me like that yesterday but thank you for being a good sport anyway. My head still hurts but I know what you were trying to get across yesterday now and I agree with you. As an at least partial simulation of real life it only makes sense for people to have their own sexual preferences and not let everyone be bi. The only surprise for me is learning that making everyone bi is supposed to be an sjw virtue signal. I was under the impression that sjws absolutely abhorred the everyone is bi thing because it takes away from the opportunity to have special gay only characters with special socially conscious gay only stories. I thought wanting everyone to be bi was a more mainstream opinion so that casual gamers could fuck who they want to fuck without running into a blond-haired, blue eyed, big tittied gaywall. I think my own personal frustrations with running into cute straight girls bled into that perception which may have made me miss sojus advocating for bi's only, though im still having trouble imagining this given how obsessed they are with wanting gays and gay specific stories in games.

The graphical fidelity sufficiently good to show detailed and nuanced facial expressions has been present since Half Life 2. And it has improved a lot since then.

Its not the issue of advances in graphics at all. Although the whole argument about how FP is awesome and able to do stuff - but its probably maybe going to be possible in the future is complete nonsensical idiocy by itself.

The issue and the actual reason why it isnt done now, when that kind of fidelity is actually possible and present in many games - is because the audience doesnt get it.
If you make it nuances and detailed and minimalistic enough players are going to miss it, they will be confused by it, they wont be able to differentiate between details that are not important, only slightly important, moderately important and very important. So then you end up needing to make it obvious, overblown and simple enough, which defeats the whole idea, of course.

It would also mean singling out one specific kind of design and applying it across every game, which is an absurd idea in on itself.
The matter only becomes exponentially worse and even more self destructive when envisioned in any kind of RPgs, even action-shooter hybrids, let alone actual RPGs where skills and abilities are supposed to matter.

I believe I already understand your position on this hiver but i'd like to ask. Do you think cyberpunk could be a candidate for a game that has uniquely qualified properties to take proper advantage of the stuff you mention? I mean, lets take a Perception stat for an example. In FPP not investing in that stat can have literal impacts on how you perceive the world. Sounds can be more muted, distances and people can be more blurry, ect. Likewise maxing it would enhance sounds, make different movements and expressions more obvious (Like a sorta after image echo if someone defensively crosses their arms when their lying or afterimage echos when they uncomfortable shifting from foot to foot. Taking it even further having enough perception and consitution could allow you to install a cyber eye that examines more stuff like heart and perspiration rates. The stats would justify bringing extra attention to these things while also assuring the stats have a meaningful purpose that actually meshes with the FPP instead of existing in spite of it.

Ha don't worry about that there will be plenty of amazing looking girls in to girls too.. Cyberpunk like i said is an universe where people can model and shape theyr body how they want... I am talking about full recostruction face shaping.. even body shaping.. There is not only cyberware but bioware as well...I already imagine people complain that both male and female in the setting are too much oversexualized but that is how is it that world... Imagine you can shape and change what you dislike about you... In a whim... If you have money for it. There are people that go beyond that... making their skin of unnatural colors... Like the chrome singer seen in the trailer is totally crazy :D

Aim1ess

Novice
I think you've generally got it right. When you are imagining acting out the role via FPP how do you feel about abilities and skills? By that I mean stuff like main stats str, int, per, ect. How do you think they should come into play when it comes to what your character can do? What about more specific stuff like diplomacy, accuracy or tumble stats? Do you feel that there are ever clashes between player agency and character limits that first person exacerbates? How do you view more curated reactivity typically seen in TPP/isometric based more on character than player limits vs more free-form and player generated reactivity that's less world responsive as seen more frequently in FPP games (also not saying these different types of reactivities cant often be seen in the other respective perspective.)

For FPP I would want abilities and skills to just prevent me from doing things. Something like major weapon sway if you have low guns skill is reasonable to me, but the way Cain described what will probably be in his new game having low guns mean you have longer recoil between shots and longer reload time etc is also reasonable. So I'm pretty much all for stats overriding agency.

A lot of stats easily transfer into FPP - str, end, resistances, etc are pretty much implemented exactly the same. Speech checks would still be implemented exactly the same. The main differences are aiming, player dexterity, players speed of thought process(if comparing turn based to real time) and Perception. Aiming I already somewhat addressed, it is one of the harder things to try to bring the skill into because people get angry about a gun missing where they are aiming if they have low stats. Player dexterity I guess just too bad? I mean at this point Ive played enough games to be able to WASD my way through an RPG, lol. The combat isn't gonna be Ninja Gaiden level stuff, and you could even give auto aim or VATS style stuff to some chars based on skills. You could also give the player skills like a bullet time if they have great reflexes or something, just need to be creative in implementing things that reflect skills and powers. Perception I mean I know another guy was talking about subtle eye movements and whatever but Ive yet to play a game that actually does anything like that. Whenever a game shows a characters face it only changes is specific ways and unless you are blind its basically as easy to spot as the game just telling you. Ive never heard of it being implemented yet but I would imagine you could do something like if you dont have a high enough perception things are just literally rendered differently. So if you are outside that ghoul farm (Modoc?) in F2 that has the bodies on spikes was done this way then instead of having to inspect and have a text message say its fake you have it rendered like real bodies for low Per chars and rendered as fake looking bodies for high Per characters. Maybe a character tears up if you have high empathy but "doesn't"(it isnt rendered) if you dont have high enough perception to see it. But I mean even an example like that includes the idea that the player examines the bodies closer IIRC. The game did not auto tell you they looked fake if you had high Per, you still had to examine one.

Keep in mind you can have a HUD that tells you things in FPP too, you have questlogs etc come up, you could just put in the stuff these guys want in TPP in FPP as well. Its just convention that they don't bother.

I think you also are actually limited to the players POV in FPP. In TPP you are virtually birds eye viewing the action, giving you information your character should not have(unless hes like a tactical genius or something I guess). I think its actually more "gamey" to have that information than be in FPP and not see what is behind you or around a corner until your character would actually see it or hear it. No matter how "perceptive" your character is he cant look around a corner like a TPP can swinging the camera around.

As for the general differences between how they're normally done I think thats partially a design philosophy and (unfortunately) partially based on production cost. You look at F3/F4 and NV and its in basically the same engine with the same IP within a couple years of each other but have very different levels of choice and stat reactivity. People that make the FPP games are often looking for a wider audience that want it to be more like a shooter with a character that does different styles of combat rather than an RPG, and they design their games for that audience. And implementing all the stuff Ive been talking about is just easier(and less costly) when its basically just writing more text on a screen instead of rendering a bunch of shit and doing a bullet time skill and doing this and that. But I think main character VO has a bigger affect on ability to RP than camera angle does, anyway.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I believe I already understand your position on this hiver but i'd like to ask. Do you think cyberpunk could be a candidate for a game that has uniquely qualified properties to take proper advantage of the stuff you mention? I mean, lets take a Perception stat for an example. In FPP not investing in that stat can have literal impacts on how you perceive the world. Sounds can be more muted, distances and people can be more blurry, ect. Likewise maxing it would enhance sounds, make different movements and expressions more obvious (Like a sorta after image echo if someone defensively crosses their arms when their lying or afterimage echos when they uncomfortable shifting from foot to foot. Taking it even further having enough perception and consitution could allow you to install a cyber eye that examines more stuff like heart and perspiration rates. The stats would justify bringing extra attention to these things while also assuring the stats have a meaningful purpose that actually meshes with the FPP instead of existing in spite of it.

Something like that is always theoretically possible to do, there is no technological impediments for it, but if one applies more detailed investigation on how it would play out it quickly becomes clear that it wouldnt.
Who would ever want to play a FP game where your vision is blurry? That would practically force every player to immediately increase perception - just to be able to see normally, so its pointless to even have such disability forced onto the player - to force him to spend skill points on that to remove that disability.

Thats also why FP always reduces the importance and influence of skills, and re-delegates all of that, or most of such features to the player.
And even then you always get various prompts, icons hovering over important items, or stuff glowing, to make sure players dont miss it. None of it "gated by skills" as mass market drones like to say.

All of the examples you mentioned would require a lot of time, work and money to develop, for little or no positive payoff. There is no way in hell any of the AAA developer studios would ever do it, because their target audience would hate it and the game would bomb.
Which could very well be the end for the whole studio.

If it was done a bit differently, where the player starts from normal ability range and gets upgrades to see better and more, and where the setting would require it and so make it useful and valuable, something like that could work. Say if you are on some alien planet where atmosphere is all weird and you need infrared sight, or night sight (like Geralt) or youre in some weird fantasy dimension where everything is in ultraviolet spectrum.
Maybe some middle tear studio could experiment and get away with it on shear novelty effect. But not any of the mass market studios.

btw, im agnostic about FP being used here. Its not like me complaining about it is going to change it.
In the end, if its a really good game, its going to be alright.

But generally i prefer my FP in shooters, and more distant, Cavalier Oblique or similar PoV in my True RPGs. Or distant TP for action RPGs like Witcher 3. I really eased into feeling good playing the game only when i got some mods to move the camera much further away the default.

It does annoys the hell out of me when i see people talking about how FP is more realistic, or generally "better" because thats just ridiculous nonsense. And if anyone starts talking how its better for RPGs, then its just war.

Last edited:

Sothpaw

Learned
It does annoys the hell out of me when i see people talking about how FP is more realistic, or generally "better" because thats just ridiculous nonsense. And if anyone starts talking how its better for RPGs, then its just war.

FP is better for any 3d game that involves shooting a gun.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
FP is better for any 3d game that involves shooting a gun.
That depends on the game. Games like Heavy Barrel, and Bombshell have gameplay centered around encroaching mobs that come from all sides. The player needs to see them all at the same time, to gauge their progress, and to direct the character in and out of the mobs, while having 360° freedom to aim where it's needed in the opportune moment. Being stuck in first person would mean getting surrounded, and attacked from behind more often than not; and the gameplay would be primarily that of spinning in circles trying to see what's going on... and usually missing the opportune moments that occur in the 270° field of view that they don't see in FPP.

FP is better for any game that intends for the player to look down the barrel of a gun as they aim; and that doesn't even have to be for the whole game; it could be an optional camera view for when they choose it.

Last edited:

Roygbiv

Novice
Any word yet if we'll be able to play as the Sorayama sexbot? I want boiling hot metal ass on my first play-through.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Fixed that for you.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Heh, there's enough of a vocal minority to make it seem like a majority...then add the edgelords and suddenly it seems like we all beat up a coon on the way home....
Mike Pondsmith isn't the average dindu nothing on welfare, guy is old school nerd, deserves respect.

Sentinel

Arcane
Mike Pondsmith isn't the average dindu nothing on welfare, guy is old school nerd, deserves respect.
*takes your lunch money under the promise of a new game and disappears forever*

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

i seen that video it sounds interesting so far.. very interesting i can see how they taken the decision to go first person mh let's hope it won't restrain the customization.

Aim1ess

Novice
That's exactly what I told - they are augmented, he is not for some reason.
Cripple vs bodybuilder robo-woman.
And that's always like that - the one exeptionally phisically gifted and trained woman vs some almost crippled man, adn this showed like a commong thing, not exeption.

I know a lot of men think they are invincible, but you can literally die from falling over and hitting your head hard on the ground. Some dude that's probably a lowlife loser and doesn't work out going to buy prostitutes isn't fucking Mike Tyson. Guy is distracted by one while the other trips him and they start kicking him. Incredibly simple scenario for anyone that isn't in a constant anti-SJW froth.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Watching the general reaction there seems to be a contingent of backseat designers who're upset Cyberpunk 2077 isn't going to be exactly what they envisioned, while ignoring the positive implications of that.

CD Projekt could've staged their game in perpetual night. It certainly would've been a lot easier on them. Instead they did twice as much work and built a day/night cycle.

CD Projekt could've captalized on their success with The Witcher and made a Cyberpunk game that from a design standpoint was virtually identical (like every other company in their position would've done), but instead they went first-person.

At every stage so far CD Projekt have taken the harder road of artistic integrity, yet people whine, complain, bitch, and moan, and then wonder why the gaming industry looks as bad as it does.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/cybe...ild-confirmed-to-be-present-at-gamescom-2018/

Cyberpunk 2077’s E3 2018 demo was an actual real build, confirmed to be present at Gamescom 2018
JUNE 16, 2018 JOHN PAPADOPOULOS

In an interview with Jason Schreier, Marcin Iwinski confirmed that Cyberpunk 2077 will be present at Gamescom 2018. Marcin also said that Cyberpunk 2077 will be powered by the next iteration of the RED Engine, called REDengine 4. Marcin also claimed that this demo was not a fake one, was not built entirely for E3, and it was a real build of the game.

When Jason Schreier asked about the E3 demo, Marcin had this to say:

“The demo, it’s not a demo-demo in terms that it’s an artificial piece of content created for the purposes of the show. That’s actually a build of the game… actually, surprising it is a real build so we didn’t fake anything here and actually we had a lot of… we didn’t start these conversations but we had a lot of feedback like that in the previews by people actually noticing that certain things did not look pre-rendered or fake. And this makes us very happy and very proud because we’ve actually made it to pull off a build.”

And then, when asked about the next event in which Cyberpunk 2077 will be showcased, Marcin confirmed that there will be a demo at Gamescom 2018, though he did not confirm whether it will also be behind closed doors or whether it will be showcased to the public.

“I think we still have Gamescom so we’ll be showing it. I can’t tell you that [whether CD Projekt RED will be showing something different than what was shown at E3 2018] but it won’t be the same, it will be worth visiting. Of course do not expect a totally different demo please… but we will show maybe something different, maybe some different angle.”

Since it's a post-2015 RPG, will it have gay romance? Sex change or gender upgrades?
Will it be possible to date a computer?
Will it have strong and socially relevant african-american, middle-eastern or female NPCs?

death-of-a-cyborg.jpg

Yes to all, apparently

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/06/15/cyberpunk-2077-gay-bisexual-straight-options-romance/

Cyberpunk 2077 Lets You Have Sex "Any Way You Want," According to CD Projekt RED

We recently sat down with CD Projekt RED at E3 2018 to not only talk about the game with the developers themselves, but also to witness one full hour of glorious gameplay action in real time! We couldn't say enough about the upcoming RPG, and trust me - we have much more to say! But one thing that a lot of people have been asking about is how the romance options will work, which we saw a snippet of it in the very beginning of the title.

In a BioWare-esque twist, players have total freedom with who they choose to smooch. Unlike RED's previous installment with their Witcher series, players can choose a male or female protagonist to play as. The developers told me during my interview with them that they do suggest the female V - which, hell yeah!

But just because players choose the gender of their choice doesn't mean they are limited in their love options. Gay, straight, bi - you name it, you can be it. Quest Designer Patrick Mills told us that there is "more diversity" in the player's love life than that of their previous franchise, adding an entirely new layer of immersion for 100+ hours of game time.

Now, it's not a free-for-all like with Fallout 4. More like the Dragon Age franchise where players will run into some NPCs that are strictly gay, some that are bisexual, and some that are on the straight and narrow. Luckily, "most" are bisexual, so both genders can take that relationship to the next level.

Forewarning too, there is tons of nudity in the game. The very first sequence was full frontal, which honestly added an entirely new level of realism to the story - not shying away from pretty much anything keeps the player engaged with what's going on.

Full-on relationships not your style? No worries, one night stands are also totally doable, and that doesn't have to reflect negatively on the player. Wine and dine them, gifts, and good 'ol fashioned sweet talk can do wonders whether you are looking for something lasting, or just something to pass the time.

Unfortunately we still don't have a release date yet, but from what we've seen? It will be well worth the wait!

See that person? You can fuck them.

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_cxu6akj7f484wskk0g08sck0k_640.jpg

Cabazone

Educated
Oh yeah! Total diversity in the fucking department, as long it's consensual and positive and with adult humanoid looking characters (and not too weird).

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
FUCK THIS NEWSPOST I keep reading it as "
First Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay".........

FUCK!!

janior

Arcane
Patron
FPP and TPP work great in games suited to their respective strengths. DOOM benefits from FPP. The game is about shooting. It's avatar is a generic any-dude space marine, and the player can easily forget about them, and get into the running & gunning aspect that is the game itself.

Someone mentioned Arx Fatalis a while back, and that is the only RPG that I know of that pulled off using FPP fairly well... though IMO it was not the best choice, and succeeded in spite of it; it was simply a mechanically good RPG. Arx was an unofficial spiritual successor to Ultima Underworld, and as such it is not surprising that they went with FPP.

FPP is bad for RPGs, because it seeks to put the player in the place of the character; the character becomes them, instead of the other way around. There will be two types of players, those who want to live in the Cyberpunk world, and those who want to extrapolate a native character living there—unlike the player themselves; reacting as their personality and experiences would dictate. TPP better shows the native-born character in their own world, acting out their choices. FPP shows what it's like to live in the world as if you belonged there yourself. There is a big difference to the roleplayer.

By far the biggest two annoyances I had with the Witcher sequels was [first] that Geralt lost his pragmatism when they changed the potion/alchemy system; from quaffing potions in the midst of conflict where the effect would suit him—to kneeling in the dirt in advance, hoping the effect would suit him later. Second was the loss of the triple camera system, and the ability to direct Geralt, rather than puppeteer him like a marionette on strings. Suddenly Geralt went from being a master swordsman to being a fop swinging a sword at whatever was in front of him; a Drowner, a tree, a thug, a wagon. Geralt was hamstrung by the player's variable ability to play the combat mini-game. One could no longer extrapolate how Geralt (the veteran monster slayer) would react—they had to manually puppet his actions. I lost interest in the franchise after the first (the defining) title of the series. I did not like the clumsy manual control of Geralt in the sequels, and I don't want to manually puppet a cyberpunk's behavior in first person.

Cyberpunk 2077 sounds like it will be yet another hiking/driving simulator set in a very impressive era-simulation of 2077— not unlike the concept of the Westworld film, with its West-world, and Roman-world, and Medieval-world; this will be Future-world, and if all it is is a stream-of-consciousness-sim that imitates these others, then I am not interested. No TPP is usually a deal-breaker for me with RPGs.
retard

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Beside something will be show at the Gamescon

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom