Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview First Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay details revealed

Naraya

Arcane
TPP is vital for melee combat to not feel like garbage, but it doesn't matter since if I ever get around to playing this, I'll only use guns. :M

Dark messiah.

You are welcome.
I'd also say Shadow Warrior - combat was quite meaty and fun in this game.

Sentinel

Arcane
edn0SqA.png

S9Sajdj.png

Last edited:

Shilandra

Learned
The only solution to this problem is simple. Second person perspective. Instead of the camera being the players face or over the shoulder, the entire game will be played from the viewpoint of the NPCs. You will still control your character in all ways. The only difference is whether it's walking around, making choices or during cutscenes the camera will be from the viewpoint of the nearest NPC at all times.

I know you are joking but there were games that did this, eg. Alone in the Dark. It was... painful.

Also - reading this made me really hyped (don't click if RPS triggers you).

No reason to get hyped for a game when every article I ctrl + f about it only ever mention choice 1 or two times. (Though skimming the article you posted does paint a bit of a picture that shows player reactivity and choices)

These polls are really super dumb. Why frame this as an either or question. Options should be between fp only or fp +tp and I dont care. I think that would actually get more accurate results and foster more productive discussions.

Oh FFS, it's Cyberpunk 20-fucking-77 with all sorts of body modding and alternative cultures and we're still stuck in the gender fucking binary
pls start posting in general discussion more
I will give you postiive ratings

General disco-what? I have no idea what you're talking about, this is an RPG news forum. Did you mean genital discussion?

Mark Richard

Arcane
TPP is vital for melee combat to not feel like garbage, but it doesn't matter since if I ever get around to playing this, I'll only use guns. :M

Dark messiah.

You are welcome.
Kingdom Come: Deliverance should be like the elephant in the room here. First-person melee, and a layered armour system that can't be seen outside of cutscenes! If Kingdom Come was third-person, it wouldn't be an immersive sim anymore. So many people are treating the camera perspective as a trivial cosmetic choice and severely underestimating how it changes the way the player perceives the world.

Last edited:

Ruzen

Savant
The only thing I am concern about the first person is head bobbing. I just hope there is none or at least option to turn it off. That makes my head hurt so much.

Cadmus

Arcane
CC in 1st person RPGs is fucking retarded, I want a 3rd person option.
Also, why do you guys about CP (what an acronym!) - fucking CDP will take a year and halfm to patch the release version, the game is literally 5 years away from being playable.

Now imagine this game in third person mode.
The horror....
Well, especially with THAT character model.
Arx Fatalis' main character (in any of his possible forms) always looked like a sad victim of rachitism.

TPP is vital for melee combat to not feel like garbage
^dont believe his lies

I'm fine with first person if that's what fits the game better, but see? This is a dreadful argument.
When stuff like Escape From Butcher Bay, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic or Chivalry are proudly fronted as the pinnacle of first person melee combat, you know the standard is fucking low compared to the third person alternative available.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Kingdom Come: Deliverance should be like the elephant in the room here. First-person melee, and a layered armour system that can't be seen outside of cutscenes! If Kingdom Come was third-person, it wouldn't be an immersive sim anymore. So many people are treating the camera perspective as a trivial cosmetic choice and severely underestimating how it changes the way the player perceives the world.
It'd still be a eurojank simulator, it just wouldn't be an immersive one. :troll:

I don't see it as a trivial cosmetic choice at all, but one that deeply affects the feeling of melee combat. A Sawyer-quote I keep having to dust off
I feel that a 1st person perspective will always handicap melee. The biggest problems are low situational awareness (due to the proximity of enemies and the limitations of FoV -- in fact the DMoMM designer admitted that enemies effectively hold back when out of view to deal with this problem), poor readability of your own character's attacks (for the same reason), and poor depth perception (a DMoMM designer admitted that their hit detection effectively "cheats" to help the player).

I sort of view first-person melee like turbine-powered motorcycles. You can make a well-executed turbine-powered motorcycle. Unfortunately, turbines are poorly suited for the sort of use that motorcycles actually see in most applications. DMoMM was the most viscerally satisfying first-person melee I've seen yet, but I found it frustrating to actually play.

v1rus

Arcane
Third person = more popular with storyfags/LARPers. It's more ~emotionally engaging~ when you can see your character. This change will definitely piss off a lot of the sort of people the Codex likes to make fun of.

I have to disagree with this. Being quite a storyfag myself, Im quite sure that first person > third person. I mean, first person is way more immersive, and thus should provide stronger ~emotional engagement~.

Dont really get the crowd moaning about "muh tpp", prolly just soyboys and landwhales who wanna parade their neon colored hairstyles.

v1rus

Arcane
Also, while we are on the "fpp melee combat" topic, why hasnt anyone mentioned Zeno Clash? I have yet to play the game myself, but from everything ive seen on youtube, it looks like they handled the ranged-mele transition nicely.

Shilandra

Learned
Third person = more popular with storyfags/LARPers. It's more ~emotionally engaging~ when you can see your character. This change will definitely piss off a lot of the sort of people the Codex likes to make fun of.

I have to disagree with this. Being quite a storyfag myself, Im quite sure that first person > third person. I mean, first person is way more immersive, and thus should provide stronger ~emotional engagement~.

Dont really get the crowd moaning about "muh tpp", prolly just soyboys and landwhales who wanna parade their neon colored hairstyles.

You know, this is probably a very silly question to ask but, can you explain to me how first person is immersive?

And I mean this in a general sense. I genuinely don't understand the mechanics of immersion through fpp. Like, when I play a fpp game it doesn't actually engender me to the characters perspective. I don't feel like I'm viewing the world through their eyes or even my own. It feels like I'm looking at something, which is looking at something.

I'm sorry of this is incoherent or doesn't make sense but the phenomena I experience when playing these kinds of games is very hard to put into words properly, I guess what I'm trying to say is its basically the sensation of looking at a screen. It doesn't pull me into the game anymore than a tpp or isometric game would.

So if you could explain your perspective, or how fpp increases immersion in general I would greatly appreciate it. Because as it stands now when people talk about fpp being more immersive there is this massive dissconnect in my mind that prevents me from properly understanding what they're taking about,

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom