Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fireplace - FPS RPG

hexer

Hi bros, long time no see!

My Egyptian job didn't turn out to be so successful.
The site is still up if anyone's interested in reading hundreds of summaries I wrote on many topics - www.speeli.com

So... I finally decided to chase my dreams and professionally pursue game-making and I'm ready to reveal my game called "Fireplace".
I know it'll not be everybody's cup of tea but maybe some of you will find it interesting.

In short - it's a FPS RPG with rich story inspired by Bioshock Infinite and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

I setup a Patreon page in hopes someone will support me -
I haven't given up on Van Buren but I vowed to return to it with money and give it a treatment it deserves.

Anyway, here's the teaser trailer. Let me know what you think!

Last edited by a moderator:

Klarion

Arcane
I like the idea of "movie mode"... the game-story sounds potentially interesting too...

BTW, speeli.com is your website?

anyway, the guys from VB facebook page referred to you as an ex-team leader of the project... Why is that?

Mustawd

A couple of points:

1. If you're gonna make a trailer,especially a teaser, the voiceover is not needed. Ideally, the trailer should kind of speak for itself.
2. Related to #1, just lose the computer voice.
3. Get better recording software or something because the frame rate looks god awful.

Anyway, just some suggestions and feedback. Good luck on your game. How complete is it?

hexer

BTW, speeli.com is your website?

Not anymore, but I was one of the 4 co-founders.

anyway, the guys from VB facebook page referred to you as an ex-team leader of the project... Why is that?

I haven't been Van Buren's team lead ever since December 2014.
Two main reasons for that were starting my own business (Speeli) and I wanted to pay team members for their work to keep them motivated.

You can read more about it here: http://www.moddb.com/games/f3-van-buren/news/important-announcement6

A couple of points:

1. If you're gonna make a trailer,especially a teaser, the voiceover is not needed. Ideally, the trailer should kind of speak for itself.
2. Related to #1, just lose the computer voice.
3. Get better recording software or something because the frame rate looks god awful.
  1. Thanks for the tip!
  2. Haha he reminded me of late Tony Jay and I couldn't resist not using him
  3. I know, that's due to my lacking hardware. That's one of the reasons I'm on Patreon.

Anyway, just some suggestions and feedback. Good luck on your game. How complete is it?

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm taking all feedback seriously, I want this to be an entertaining game and a new experience.

Around 40% of Episode 1 is finished. There will be two episodes.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I'll keep an eye on this. Looks like it could be interesting, hexer!

But yeah, the computer voice and the recording framerate were not very good.

In short - it's a FPS RPG with rich story inspired by Bioshock Infinite and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Ha ha ha! Not really the kind of thing the Codex will like as an inspiration!

Ash

Arcane

Ha ha ha! Not really the kind of thing the Codex will like as an inspiration!

Yep. The developer should play actual FPS/RPGs like the original Deus Ex, VTM:B or System Shock 2 before trying anything. Bioshock: Infinite was designed for retards and Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a sub-par attempt, which is probably what this game will be without good influences and perspective.

hexer

Thanks for the support bros! It means a lot :bro:

I knowthe trailer's far from perfect, I did what I could at the moment -
I spent all the money on assets and software. I'll buy a faster computer in 2 months so the next one will run smoothly and have real voice overs.

There's so much I haven't showed or revealed yet! I'll keep you posted...

Regarding Bioshock Infinite, what I liked the most is the way it struck emotional cords and I really liked the attention to visual details the art team did.
I'm aiming for graphical gorgeousness. That Earth in the beginning of trailer has 16K textures :D

Yep. The developer should play actual FPS/RPGs like the original Deus Ex, VTM:B or System Shock 2 before trying anything. Bioshock: Infinite was designed for retards and Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a sub-par attempt, which is probably what this game will be without good influences and perspective.

Actually I played all of them!
I'm aiming for the freedom of the original Deus Ex.

This reviewer sums it up perfectly.

hexer

Hi bros, I just posted Monday update #2 with some major cast screenshots. Check it out!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/first-reactions-5808351

file

hexer

Hi everyone,
I posted update no. 5 today.
Here I talk about what features you can expect from FPS part of the game.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/freedom-no-1-for-6063756

I also announced we're working towards a 10 minute gameplay video.
It will feature diverse game situations and interesting solutions to them.

See you all in a week!

hexer

No. I couldn't get a better framerate on my laptop.
I'm saving money to buy myself a much better PC so I can create smooth videos.

Quigs

Magister
I love FPS RPGs. I love most of the graphics in the trailer. I think the people look comically bad.

hexer

I love FPS RPGs. I love most of the graphics in the trailer. I think the people look comically bad.

Thanks!

Regarding the comical look, I'm aiming for a stylized look in order to capture the whole Caribbean "scifi paradise" vibe, humorous side of the game and to differentiate myself from others.
Although we did change our hair and skin shaders, including the lightning system but we aren't yet finished tweaking everything. This is the latest WIP

hexer

Also I've got a new weekly update! https://www.patreon.com/posts/actors-motion-6523977

4174160583767026225.jpg

Actors, motion capturing, demo progress...

Ladies and gentlemen,

welcome to our weekly update!
You probably noticed we didn't have a Monday update this week.
We decided to have our weekly updates released once per week on any given day, instead of only having it on Monday.

Now onto this week's update!

Last week has seen further progress on our 10 minute demo.
The first area features you on a seaboat so we worked on implementing physics.

We also talked and tested many voice and motion actors to see who would be the best fit for one of 70 roles that appear in Episode 1.

For our tech choice, we are probably going to go for Perception Neuron - this will strain our budget a bit for this year but what the hell we say, let's make the best possible game! :)

Until next time,

Partytellers team

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom