Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Finally, a new crpg blobber - Lord of Seal

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
http://store.steampowered.com/app/522610/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_1
linkfilter

linkfilter

About This Game
Grid based first person RPG, dungeon crawler game.
12 playable characters.

Warrior :A knight trusting in their body.
Crusader :A knight shielding others.
Fencer :A swordsman possessing strength and skill.
Chaser :A ranger who reads the path ahead.
Dark Knight :Those who have sworn themselves to darkness.
Enchanter :A knight wielding macigal powers.
Hunter :A nimble hunter.
Felpurr :Those without a care in the world.
Magician :A researcher of the magical arts.
Cleric :A priest healing the wounded.
Druid :One who mutters curses.
Mystic :An eccentric wizard.

Old classic style game.
now version 1.032

--------------------------------------

So, not much info given. Hopefullly it is really a crpg and not a no content dungeon crawler. Also, the UI looks rpgmakerish. I don't give a fuck, as long as it has content and good chargen and chardev.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Roqua

i see you are entering the phase of trying to bring over the turn-based goodness of the JRPG forum to the plebes in CRPG forum. you will encounter a lot of resistance as the Hivemind automatically rejects anything that looks non-Western, and the majority of CRPG forum posters are not interested in turn-based gaming.

EDIT: also you will probably dislike the game as it seems to be a traditional Wiz-clone, that is to say: it's a Wizardry 1-5 clone with some cherry-picked things such as races, spells and misc. stuff like dual-wielding introduced in Wiz 6.

have not played this however so cannot comment on how good of a Wiz-clone it is. my personal hopes for it aren't very high but, you never know.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
roqua dislikes RPGs which don't feature choose-your-own-adventure style quests or that lack A/B/C dialog trees, and he does not consider clearning a 10 floor dungeon maze to be actual RPG gameplay.

in short he's a storyfag who doesn't know he is one. hard-core Wiz-clones are not his cup of tea.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
:d1p:

Well, dependant on price. Looks worth a try at least, hope it's :incline:

*Edit* It's actually 'Lord of THE Seal', which is still a pretty terrible title, but at least makes a bit more sense than a game about the boss of this bloke:
iqF2q5q.jpg

I always thought he looked a bit 'rpg villain-ish' though!

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
this looks strangely like its done in rpg maker, not sure why

TigerKnee

Arcane
this looks strangely like its done in rpg maker, not sure why
The icons and the font.

RPG Maker does have a "first person dungeon crawler" module from what I know, so your gut feeling is quite likely correct

Suicidal

Arcane
So anyone tried this yet/planning on trying it?

I get a boner now whenever I read "turn-based dungeon crawler" but this thing has literally 0 gameplay videos on youtube so there's no way to know if this is a legit dungeon crawler attempt or zero effort RPGmaker gutter trash.

From what I saw on the steam page the character stat screens looked pretty interesting, but holy shit those text descriptions :lol: like in the char screens the class is called race. This is giving me flashbacks of Stranger of Sword City's butthead translations.

Also,

That you, Roqua. You are so great. I love you so much.

Last edited:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fuck me, it's only £3.99. Can't get any gaming time for a few hours but as soon as I do I'll take the plunge.

Not got high hopes tbh, not had good experience of rpg maker games but sooner or later one must be decent, surely?

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Ok, bought it, installed it (it's only 120mb!) and played literally 10 minutes before I had to stop until later. The game opens in a tiny window, but you can alt-enter to full screen it.

Initial thoughts- it reminds me of a cross between Labyrinth of Touhou 2 and Etrian Odyssey. I know that may have some of you reaching for the 'buy' button, but hold on a sec. The similarities come from the fact there's zero mouse support and the cursor keys, Enter, Z, X and W are the inputs I found initially.

To put off Roqua straight away, there's not really full character creation. You pick your main char from this screen:

CnzQ0wt.jpg

Massive weeaboo overload, but I can look past that. Afterwards you go to a town screen typical of Etrian Odyssey, with the usual 'Guild, Inn, shop' etc etc and can hire more party members to fill your slots, but you only select the chars, no rolling stats or anything. You can rename them by talking to another NPC in the training hall. Chars have different levels of advancement in the primary stats, depending on the class.

After selecting some randoms to fill the slots I then went into the forest and was greeted by a very Etrian Odyssey type Guard NPC who gave me a teleport stone and buggered off to leave me to explore. There's no animations to speak of when moving, it's instant like in the old Wizardries. I did find even in the first few moves I was 'jumping' two squares without meaning to, so that might get annoying later.

Happily, I managed to get two characters killed in the very first (and only) battle I fought, and there were plenty of pop ups suggesting some depth to the combat- chain messages and different colour damage numbers stuck out. If combat is deadly, I'm happy, so tentatively optimistic at this VERY early stage.

It's dirt cheap, why not take a punt if you like turn based crawlers?

Suicidal

Arcane
That doesn't sound too bad. It would be interesting to know if there is any char customization beyond the initial party creation - do you get to pick your skills, stats or other shit when leveling up?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Shackleton

much appreciative of your deep dive with this one! your description doesn't sound bad at all. if you do continue playing please post additional thoughts.

it was actually this very game being mentioned in the Random JRPG thread that has made me download RPG Maker and the blobber script someone linked for me. haven't had that much time to spend using it as i've been trying to read documentation without getting bored but in any case it's leaps and bounds better for making a 'crawler/RPG than Javardry or the Wizardry Legacy Kit.

btw, i suspect it lacks char-gen because:

1) RPG maker doesn't provide easy access to anything that would serve as char-gen (would require him to script more)
2) the obvious inspiration which is EO also doesn't have char-gen

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Holy shit, this game is rock hard and as obtuse as hell. aweigh, I really think we have a target here for your special kind of inquisitiveness and dedication!

Expect to see this a lot:
zqOcPJB.jpg

This is two mobs, on the first floor of what is at least 30 Floors of dungeon, in the second battle of the game. One attack away from a full wipe.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but the combat is so hard to get my head wrapped around I haven't figured it out yet and the manual doesn't really help. So there's front and back rows, normal attacks and skills, which need TP to activate and TP seems to build up by fighting. Except sometime I can't cast skills anyway! There's 'Toughness breaks' which seem to happen through repeated attacks on the same enemy and which seems to give bonus damage on the next attack, plus there's certain defenses weak and strong to various weapon attacks.

I've figured this out and the level 1 Needle Rabbit still wipes my party lol.

I've also seen that in the 'options', there's only two of them- speed and auto or normal movement. Turning movement to Normal solved the 'move twice' irritant.

Game seems pretty decent if you like this sort of thing, it certainly is a damn challenge to both figure out the mechanics and even win a fight! More random thoughts when I've dug a bit more.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
yeah the moving twice thing is from Wizardry. there used to be a hidden "turbo" button that would double steps taken in the Wizardry ports for DOS, Apple II and for the NEC PC-98 (japanese PC).

Elminage series also has a hidden turbo button that doubles steps taken, at least the PSP games do (Original, 2, and 3): it's the PSP's Select button.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Is there content? So chardgen is lite, is chardev too? Is this some rpg-lite no content dungeon crawler or is it a real crpg? I noticed the added a video trailer, which makes it seem like a DC and not a crpg. I can live with Etrian Odyssey since it had quests and great chardev, but if this is like the extremely rpg, no-content Elminage Gothic fuck these pricks. I'll spend my money on a game with some content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom