Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Retardo? Final Fantasy XIV, at least the soundtrack is enjoyable

final

• Total voters

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I don't think upheaval is part of the gcd, yes. We'll see for sure later today when I get it. I hope it isn't because I haven't got any ocd attacks skills now.

Edit: Ok so I just realized that Onslaught, the gap closer for Warriors, is not part of the GCD so you can spam that as much as you want as well (15sec CD), although upheaval will be the better choice once you get that since it does more Potency but costs as much resources to use. Also I just got to the Ruby Sea zone and this place is really cool. Finally some nice things from the expac.

Edit Edit: Upheaval is nice.

Last edited:

Direwolf

Arcane
It's disappointing that the story and setting are back to being crap after Heavensward. The setup to the first expansion was amazing, but this is just back to the same old ARR hijinks. The first few zones you enter are also fairly boring and samey compared with the old Thanalan zones. Nothing interesting to wow you with a great first impression like Sea of Clouds. You also spend an ungodly amount of time running back and forth doing a ton of those fun deliveryman quests. Maybe the expansion will get better later, but it sure is taking its sweet time to get to those good parts.

That actually sounds good. Heavensward was fucking terrible, zones, lore, instances were all shit. Back to ARR sounds like a massive improvement.

Hyperion

Arcane
Heavensward was absolutely wonderful. One of the few wintry areas done absolutely right.

Knights of the Round were an excellent conclusion to the main story.

And the soundtrack was otherworldly. Easily the best FF music since the SNES days.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Not to mention that the story was good because there were no faggot Scions or any of the other dogs from the Eorzean Alliance. Estinien and Ysayle were fine traveling partners and the other NPCs like Aymeric and Haurchefant (and anyone else from the Fortemps family) were fairly bro like. Stormblood is pretty insufferable again with the crap traveling partners who just sour the already dull story. not-Yda Lyse is a bland girl brawler type and Alisaie's entire character revolves on being the opposite of Alphinaud, and the game does not shy from reminding you about it every single time she has something to say. I had higher standards for this after Heavensward.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Alphinaud was ever-present throughout the Heavensward storyline and he was no less an insufferable dumbfuck than any other Scion during ARR.

I could not get past the incredibly fucktarded account administration system that FFIV uses ... MogStation, or whatever that abortion is, is just a bloody mess. Besides, I don't think I could abide my queen-like toon riding around on "chocobos". A bit too faggy for me.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Finally hit level 70. Expac gets better toward the end. The beginning is really crappy, though.

gLuN78L.png

The most interesting thing is that they brought back Job quest gear that you get at max level. You get a full set of swagger armor and a weapon as well. The Warrior one is extremely good imo. Haven't seen what the other sets look like, but Square usually does an excellent job with the Job specific gear.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
First of Noclip's three-part documentary about "Death and Rebirth of Final Fantasy XIV":

In the first video in our three-part series, we tell the story of how the 1.0 version of FINAL FANTASY 14 came to be. How FINAL FANTASY 11 inspired its design, the ways in which the game fell short and how Square-Enix and the development team reacted to its failure.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It was quite interesting, but served as setup for the actual documentary. I mostly knew everything they talked about, but it was still good to see input from the actual devs themselves.

Zetor

Arcane
Hmmm.. this new expansion stuff sounds interesting.

Do they still do the 'have to finish the story quests added in patches before you can start with the expansion' thing -- and if so, approx how many hours does it take to get through all HW post-release story content?

Zetor

Arcane
Man... on one hand, that's a good thing to show to my guildies who always brush me off with the "I don't want to play through 40 hours of story quests just to be able to play the expansion" excuse, but I actually kinda liked HW's story... it'd feel bad to skip it entirely, especially for $$$. How much time does it take (approx) to get through the post-launch HW content normally, as a level 60 with patch 3.0 gear?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Well your gear will be replaced immediately or within 4 levels, most likely. The highest end HW gear and the final Anima weapon should last you until level 66. Finishing all the SB content wont take you longer than a week. If you nolife it you can do it in two days.

yeye

Augur
Man... on one hand, that's a good thing to show to my guildies who always brush me off with the "I don't want to play through 40 hours of story quests just to be able to play the expansion" excuse, but I actually kinda liked HW's story... it'd feel bad to skip it entirely, especially for $$$. How much time does it take (approx) to get through the post-launch HW content normally, as a level 60 with patch 3.0 gear?

Takes a few days. There was a bottleneck before SB where you had to be ilvl 230 for the last dungeon but you can get 260 gear from poetics for very cheap since 4.0.
https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quest

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Part 2 of the documentary series:

In the second video in our three-part series, we talk to the team at Square Enix about the incredible decision to spend over a year patching the 1.0 version of the game, only to destroy it. Forever.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Aaaand part 3, "The New World":

In the third and final video in our series, we rejoin the team at the launch of A Realm Reborn and take a look at how the events of 1.0 have echoed through time, even as the realm of Eorzea moves on.

Wulfstand

Prophet
As someone who isn't in tune with anime/most asian videogames, how much would I be able to enjoy this game?

A friend of mine keeps poaching me to give this game a go, but seeing any of the typical anime tropes in the game just takes me out of it completely.

Delterius

Arcane
As someone who isn't in tune with anime/most asian videogames, how much would I be able to enjoy this game?

A friend of mine keeps poaching me to give this game a go, but seeing any of the typical anime tropes in the game just takes me out of it completely.
I don't know, what if anything do you look for in an MMO?

Wulfstand

Prophet
Solid character progression, griping class rotations, interesting (read: dark sun, morrowind, the burning crusade) world design, challenging content, fun leveling experience, good storylines.
I'm very aware that most mmos barely scratch half of those marks nowadays, but ideally that'd be it.

Delterius

Arcane
Solid character progression, griping class rotations, interesting (read: dark sun, morrowind, the burning crusade) world design, challenging content, fun leveling experience, good storylines.
I'm very aware that most mmos barely scratch half of those marks nowadays, but ideally that'd be it.
Great, let's break that down. Keep in mind I haven't played Stormblood yet.

Solid character progression
Final Fantasy XIV uses a vocation system, meaning that you can cycle between classes. Each class is geared towards a specific role. Character progression is limited to going from the Basic Vocations to their Advanced versions. There's no real character building like you'd see in WoW's old talent trees.

You'll want to treat this as a multiplayer Action game moreso than as an RPG.
griping class rotations
Its hard to comment on this right now because the game is going through a sort of overhaul/streamlining that made some classes fun and gutted others.

Its even harder for me since I was a healer and we don't have much in terms of rotations, more like a list of priorities. Playing an Astrologian was pretty fun. Drawing cards to custom tailor the perfect buff for each member of the party was an unique experience. I was also surprised that I had maybe 15 more important hotkeys than as a Priest in WoW Legion.
interesting (read: dark sun, morrowind, the burning crusade) world design

good storylines.
Its fairly uneven.

If you enjoy the artstyle, FFXIV offers a pretty comfortable ambience. The music is great and the environments are pretty.

Problem is that this kind of artstyle doesn't fit the story at all. Its hard to buy into death, carnage and despair when the land looks so pretty and everyone looks like a japanese pop idol. Well, maybe famine.

Speaking of story there's an abyss between the re-release storyline and the first expansion. The former is a shounen snoozefest where you kill the monster of the week in quick succession. You also interact with a lot of characters who were estabilished in 1.0 so its a bit jarring. The transition though twists everything around and Heavensward is a good story, despite some of the Final Fantasy cliches.

And, of course, speaking of which this is Final Fantasy: the Theme Park. The setting has its own identity, but worldbuilding is a series of references to other Final Fantasy games. Especially in terms of bosses.
challenging content
FFXIV does the WoW thing where content is scaled to the player. There's the standard experience everyone goes through during the story, which is easy enough for parties without coordination to fulfill and there's 'Extreme mode'. I thought it was a rather adequate experience for two strange reasons:

FFXIV doesn't officially endorse addons and modifications like WoW does, so content is scaled towards the normal UI.

FFXIV's tempo is much slower than that of WoW, which allows for more crap to happen at once during encounters. Even with the reduced number of party members (4 for dungeons, 8 for individual boss fights, 3 groups of 8 for Raids).
fun leveling experience
It takes a while to get interesting because of the reduced number of abilities at lower levels. However, since FFXIV has on the fly level scaling it also adds incentives for players to do old content and pull new ones through the storyline. This means that you'll be doing dungeons and full party boss fights much before max level content. Things won't get monotonous since you'll be doing vastly different sorts of content even at the endgame. But since people's gear are going to be scaled down to the best equipment for that level, those low level raids and boss fights won't be very difficult and only the most basic of coordination is required.

What really got my attention in FFXIV is how mostly nice the community is. You'll get the occasional kid playing as the tank and fucking shit up but players are surprisingly civil when compared to those of other multiplayer games. Been called amazing more than once just for teaching people how to do boss fights. In WoW would get pissed that someone needs to be taught.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Bought stormblood yesterday and back to playing this again. Having a load of fun, and the class and combat changes were for the best. At first glance it feels like a superior experience to heavensward.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I'm not so sure what I'm doing with my life but I'm back on this game too
I came back yesterday after a 3 year hiatus. Currently doing all those main scenario quests, and confirming my life has gone to shit.

The amount of content they release in patches is just ridiculous, cut scenes, tons of main quests, optional quests, voice overs, new features.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom