Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Retardo? Final Fantasy XIV, at least the soundtrack is enjoyable

final

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I thought Final Fantasy XI was much better than FFXIV. Although it was basically a rip of EverQuest with some changes, it still pushed for cooperation and felt like a living breathing world instead of a themepark. While you can play every class on one character in XIV, the classes are limited and WoWified which doesn't give you as much freedom as XI which allowed you to bascially combine any two classes you wanted allowing you to use your imagination to create some unique gimmicks.

If you want a unique experience I'd say play FFXI instead of FFXIV, but that's just my opinion. FFXIV feels too much like every other MMO that comes out these days, just maybe with a little more polish.

Jadeite

Educated
I thought Final Fantasy XI was much better than FFXIV. Although it was basically a rip of EverQuest with some changes, it still pushed for cooperation and felt like a living breathing world instead of a themepark. While you can play every class on one character in XIV, the classes are limited and WoWified which doesn't give you as much freedom as XI which allowed you to bascially combine any two classes you wanted allowing you to use your imagination to create some unique gimmicks.

If you want a unique experience I'd say play FFXI instead of FFXIV, but that's just my opinion. FFXIV feels too much like every other MMO that comes out these days, just maybe with a little more polish.

Correct. FFXI was as bad as any MMORPG, but was "next-generation"; it hatched new ideas. During level sync, I was able to play it briefly before field missions came out. It was about as good as or better than Everquest. MMORPGs are volatile, though. FFXI now is unrecognizable; Shadowbane was closed; Star Wars: Galaxies was ruined (by all accounts); Everquest 2 was vandalized beyond recognition; Dark Ages of Camelot was probably changed. MMORPGs are unwieldy beasts. I now lean towards MUDs. Text stays the same for decades. Graphics immediately begins to consume itself.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Correct. FFXI was as bad as any MMORPG, but was "next-generation"; it hatched new ideas. During level sync, I was able to play it briefly before field missions came out. It was about as good as or better than Everquest. MMORPGs are volatile, though. FFXI now is unrecognizable; Shadowbane was closed; Star Wars: Galaxies was ruined (by all accounts); Everquest 2 was vandalized beyond recognition; Dark Ages of Camelot was probably changed. MMORPGs are unwieldy beasts. I now lean towards MUDs. Text stays the same for decades. Graphics immediately begins to consume itself.

I played it for a good bit before level sync was introduced and after. About a year ago I picked it up again and it's completely different. They've removed all the incentive to group up with new Trust magic that summons overpowered npc party members and have increased experience gain by ridiculous amounts, combined with book quest it's very easy to hit max level compared to the old days. It was still enjoyable to be able to explore Vana'diel without spending hours looking for groups but lost some of the magic in exchange.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

I played it for a good bit before level sync was introduced and after. About a year ago I picked it up again and it's completely different. They've removed all the incentive to group up with new Trust magic that summons overpowered npc party members and have increased experience gain by ridiculous amounts, combined with book quest it's very easy to hit max level compared to the old days. It was still enjoyable to be able to explore Vana'diel without spending hours looking for groups but lost some of the magic in exchange.

Why don't the devs just repackage FF11 as a single player open world RPG already? I've always thought that it was wasted potential to just let an MMO die and let all that content go to waste when you could retool it into a single player game within said huge game world.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Why don't the devs just repackage FF11 as a single player open world RPG already? I've always thought that it was wasted potential to just let an MMO die and let all that content go to waste when you could retool it into a single player game within said huge game world.
I don't know, funny thing is it already feels like that in a lot of ways. I was able to complete a lot of old missions that used to take large groups for the bosses with just the trust magic npcs. If they removed the MMO aspect right now they would have little problem turning it into a singleplayer experience, perhaps that's what they're working toward with all these changes.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
EA for the new expansion begins in a few hours. Anyone here playing this? Might resubscribe since I'm burned from WoW and this is p. much the only other decent themepark MMO out there atm.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
This is probably the worst MMO ever made. I am including all the Asian semi-games that have auto combat and auto pathing too. This game is just pure monkey fodder for those who dislike using their brain for anything, and the antithesis of what an mmorpg should be.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
EA for the new expansion begins in a few hours. Anyone here playing this? Might resubscribe since I'm burned from WoW and this is p. much the only other decent themepark MMO out there atm.

I just bought the expac and am patching the game. Will play it later. Super fucking excited, but unfortunately it seems like WAR didn't get any interesting gameplay changing updates, so I think I'll be playing Scholar / Summoner this time. Summoner especially get a cool temporary Bahamut summon as their level 70 ultimate spell.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane

I just bought the expac and am patching the game. Will play it later. Super fucking excited, but unfortunately it seems like WAR didn't get any interesting gameplay changing updates, so I think I'll be playing Scholar / Summoner this time. Summoner especially get a cool temporary Bahamut summon as their level 70 ultimate spell.
What server?

Hobo Elf

Arcane

What server?

I play on Cerberus.

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/11534577/

Hoaxmetal

Arcane

What server?

I play on Cerberus.

Shame, I'm on Odin. Too bad the game has the antique strict server system.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I haven't played since before Heavensward came out and unfortunately I don't have the time to play catch-up.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Hmmm ... lots of abilities removed, but new minor combat resource management systems added. Might be a decent sort of shake-up assuming they haven't completely broken some classes (and it looks like the healers classes are deeply pissed for various reasons). Should be fun to get some more story and dungeons though. Just a shame the new jobs offered are basically DPS, and the last thing the game needs are more people main-ing a DPS class when Tanks and Healers are already so in demand.

This sounds exactly like Blizzard's model with WoW. SE had a great thing with FFXI and shit all over it by copying them with FFXIV. There's literally no reason to play this game over WoW unless you want different lore and races.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

What server?

I play on Cerberus.

Shame indeed. Seems like most euros are on Odin.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane

What server?

I play on Cerberus.

Shame indeed. Seems like most euros are on Odin.
Turns out they added cross-server duty grouping a while ago, we could do a dungeon sometime (getting my first lvl 50 tomorrow).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's disappointing that the story and setting are back to being crap after Heavensward. The setup to the first expansion was amazing, but this is just back to the same old ARR hijinks. The first few zones you enter are also fairly boring and samey compared with the old Thanalan zones. Nothing interesting to wow you with a great first impression like Sea of Clouds. You also spend an ungodly amount of time running back and forth doing a ton of those fun deliveryman quests. Maybe the expansion will get better later, but it sure is taking its sweet time to get to those good parts.

Hyperion

Arcane
Just a shame the new jobs offered are basically DPS, and the last thing the game needs are more people main-ing a DPS class when Tanks and Healers are already so in demand
Seeing the changes to DRK and tanks in general (the classes I main hah) looks like their goal for getting more people to play Tank was to simplify them and lower the floor for entry level tanking. They made it pretty obvious they weren't fond of tanking outside of the tank stance. Classes now just having a generic 0 - 100 resource bar really put a damper on wanting to hop back into the game.
There's no more managing debuffs. Blood Price can only be used while in Grit, and it isn't even working properly. Either stealth nerfed to restore 353MP per hit down to 88MP at level 60, or the scaling to 70 is totally fucked and it's bugged. Guess Stance Dancing will be specifically for managing Blood Weapon + Blood Price, with Delirium being used to 'delay' your switch back to the other stance for a few GCDs. Darkside no longer drains MP to offset the addition of another resource to manage in the Blood Gauge.

My least favorite of the tanks, PLD, actually got some mechanical changes though. They're being made into a true foil to the DRK now, and will have some form of MP management - instead of being like the DRK where topping your MP off is 'wasted DPS,' as a PLD you always want to be at max MP to get the most of your damage buff. Unfortunately, their Oath Bar is also the least interesting of the 3. It's literally just Shelltron and one other ability that cost 50 each.

Eh, we'll see. If I can coax a couple of buddies into playing maybe I'll give it a whirl again.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I haven't looked into the Oath Bar, but I doubt it's any less interesting than what the Warrior has. Just a simple resource bar that you increase with your combos and then spend on the cool skills like Fell Blade and Upheaval. The interesting new thing is that the level 70 Warrior ultimate halves the resource cost of these skills so you can really shit out some damage as a Warrior now, which is fine. They simplified the tanking for Warriors slightly but made the DPS better, which is what the Warrior class is supposed to be like in the first place. I'll probably level my PLD to 70 as well so I'll get to try both.

Hyperion

Arcane
Yeah, all 3 use pretty much the same mechanic, but Warrior generates it 10 - 20 at a time through combos, the others will generate it slowly over time through hits, or blocks. All 3 are pretty lousy mechanics, but at least the Warrior has some interaction from his other skills with it. Like you said, halving the consumption of abilities, instantly refilling his bar, lots of abilities that consume it, and a brand new gap closer that's a little more situational than Plunge. Correct me if I'm wrong, Upheaval is at least OCD? Plus, with proper CD use, you can get 6 straight Fell Cleaves, which is badass as fuck, and useful for any burst phases a boss may have. DRK has to manage his like his MP - don't ever let it cap out or else you start losing potency. Paladin's is just...there, and you get to block an extra attack. Sweet.

DRK also had a combo removed in Delirium with its potency added to Soul Eater, Reprisal, and Low Blow now have no potency and are core tank abilities, so 2 OCD attacks are gone, Scourge went bye bye, who knows if you can fit Fracture in your crossclass bar anymore. But DA had its cooldown lowered from 3s to 2s. So instead of managing a bunch of different CDs, you're expected to spam the same ones over and over.

Separate bars for Warrior stances is YUGE, though. The bloat was unreal in 3.0.

PLD has Goring Blade + Fracture for potential DoTs, though. Wonder if they'll be DPS machines. REALLY don't like the "do more damage at full HP / MP" mechanic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom