Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy XIII

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Do you remember that two beasts you fought with Vanile and Sazh? Sazh was out of order shortly after first was killed, and Vanile fought the second mano a mano.

28 minutes.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Is there an official poll on who's the most loved/hated character in the game?

Sazh or Fang would win.

Other than that its hard to say. I personally don't have a problem with any particular charachter. Most disliked are Snow, Vanille, Hope. Over the entire franchise its probably Snow. Vanille isn't much around post XIII and Hope is generally considered an ok charachter post him getting over his mothers death.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, over the series the most hated it's definitely Snow... he's pretty much the same character in XIII-2, and a lame winner in Lightning Returns.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The FINAL FANTASY XIII team have been working hard to improve your experience on Steam and we're happy to announce the following changes will be rolled out.

■ All versions
A request-to-confirm notification, will now appear when you try to quit from the full-screen mode.

■ Asian version
"Confirm" and "Cancel" button assignments on the Controller Settings have been switched.

We'll be in touch as soon as we're ready for the next one!

SQUARE ENIX
So far nothing serious.

Deleted member 7219

Chapters 1 to 6 were a slog to get through, but Chapter 7 was excellent. Lots of good character progression and the fights get more challenging.

Chapter 8 now, I'm interested to see how the story moves forward.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Best Char - Sazh

Worst Char - Serah. If I had to pick a main party 13 character, then I guess it'd have to be english voiced Vanille.

idk why people hate snow so much. He's a giant ridiculous goofball, and his eidolon is two bitches scissoring.

Despite Serah being a bland, stupid, bitch, 13-2 still ends up being a bit better than 13. I haven't played waifu returns yet though.

Deleted member 7219

I don't think Snow is bad at all. As the story progresses you find he is very self-aware. He whines sometimes, but he isn't the usual kind of emo because he also gets shit done and is extremely pro-active.

Hope is the worst character in the game. I realise he just lost his mother so I'm prepared to give him another chance, I just hope he improves.

To be fair to FF13, the worst aspect of the characters is the the random grunts, and these can be found in every Japanese game and movie. What is it with the "uugh"s and the "woaaa"s?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
How far in the game are you? Hope improves slightly, then kind of goes pretty silent as the inanity of the last quarter of the story kicks in. I wouldn't get your hopes up for Hope too much though!

Deleted member 7219

How far in the game are you? Hope improves slightly, then kind of goes pretty silent as the inanity of the last quarter of the story kicks in. I wouldn't get your hopes up for Hope too much though!

Beginning of chapter 8.

I'll write off Hope then. Funnily enough the characters that everyone hates, Snow and Vanille, don't annoy me at all. Vanille did when I first played the game on PS3, but I kind of like how different she is from the other characters. Generally I don't like kookiness but I think it works for her character.

Deleted member 7219

Sazh eidolon. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggh.

I had trouble with this too. I remember the second eidolon fight I just used libra to identify it, then I managed to spam x to gestalt before the timer ran out. No such luck for this one, the guy hit too hard and spending all my time healing made me just run out of time.

Turned out I hadn't levelled up correctly. Ugh. It meant I had to spend most of today grinding those tiny little robot things in the section right before the eidolon fight. My advice to anyone who isn't at Chapter 8 yet - grind like hell, only go to the eidolon fight when you've levelled up Sazh's synergist tree. You definitely need haste to take the eidolon down.

Of course grinding exp at the end of Chapter 8 (easy to do, just kill the little robots, save, reload your save, repeat) means I am in Chapter 9 with all my crystal trees maxed out.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Really? I was just don't use synergyist until 1100, do it only at most until 1270, and you'd be fine. Maxed out trees?
Haste is important for a lot of fights, imperil was important for the previous boss, but the rest wasn't that important.

Of course things are different when you partially ironmaning. Full ironman is impossible without knowing all bosses before and lot of luck.

Bahamut

Arcane
Well i dont remember seeing game over screen this much in any FF, chapter 12 was a chore, mandatory turtle-elephant fight made me rage

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Well i dont remember seeing game over screen this much in any FF

That's why I actually like this FF. In the later chapters you have to strategize your paradigms accordingly, and shift them mid-fight in relation to what the boss is doing in order to succeed. It's impossible to haste your team then mash attack and auto-win like in every prior FF.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Just discovered an extremely efficient way how to get fortisol.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

That's why I actually like this FF. In the later chapters you have to strategize your paradigms accordingly, and shift them mid-fight in relation to what the boss is doing in order to succeed. It's impossible to haste your team then mash attack and auto-win like in every prior FF.

So I'm only person who was forced to fight dark Aeons only to get into the temple, because forgot to open every box? And great Malboro is either you get a first strike weapon on Yuna, or it's the end. Alternatively have fist strike weapon on someone else and swap Yuna in, but she should learn some magic and real combat.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher

So I'm only person who was forced to fight dark Aeons only to get into the temple, because forgot to open every box? And great Malboro is either you get a first strike weapon on Yuna, or it's the end. Alternatively have fist strike weapon on someone else and swap Yuna in, but she should learn some magic and real combat.

there are no dark aeons in the USA version of FF10

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
ff13.jpg

:yeah:

I wrote a fairly long and detailed impressions post but xenforo has eaten it so whatever. Basically, I think this is a decent Final Fantasy game. The combat is an interesting take on the traditional job system, and it does make you learn the paradigms you use, at least occasionally (gets better as you get further along). It never gets hardcore or particularly challenging, at least so far, but then again neither did any other game in the series. On top of that, it has decent loot-whoring (with different weapons suited for different combat roles) as well as a crafting/upgrade system. The story is also fairly traditional for a FF game, bringing together themes of friendship, revenge, political change, love, etc. The writing and the characters are... okay I guess? Cliched, but okay. Again, typical FF.

Honestly, I'm not seeing why the game got so much flak or why the fans got their panties in a bunch over this particular entry in the series. (Could be because I'm not really a fan of the series so the finer details may escape me.)

Aside from the game not being hardcore, which I never expected in the first place, I have two major complaints:

- The first 10-15 or so hours which are just pure corridors with mostly thoughtless fights. Does the player really needs that much time to learn the ropes of the game's - or hell, any - combat system? I don't mind the linearity tbh, but I do mind the slow start when it comes to actual gameplay. It didn't have to take that long to reach the above screenshot, seriously Squanix.

- (Much) more importantly, it really shows how stale the job system has become. The jobs are what, Fighter/Tank/Offensive Mage/Buffer/Debuffer/Healer? Yeah. Thankfully different characters seem to have somewhat different versions of the same jobs, skill-wise, but that alone just isn't enough.

This isn't to say I'm against a job system per se; quite the contrary. I think there's a lot of potential in both that particular system, and menu-based RPG combat in general, that hasn't yet been explored at all. Seriously, RPG devs, have a look at Labyrinth of Touhou if you're doing a menu-based combat system and want it to be exciting and varied. It will boggle your mind, and maybe you could go from there.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Crooked Bee

So you finally unlocked it? I managed to get into that big free area with lot of animals and seen Behemot king already. Few hours ago, I complained about too much melodrama, and too little gameplay. I guess these who don't want to hit auto, would feel the combat system bit lackluster.

I liked however that characters have more talents for different skills, and theirs primary skills would be also theirs most powerful. (most often) Lighting is actually great sentinel, even when she can't talk at all. (But you must work hard to get enough CPU to level her with these secondary roles.)
There is surprising lack of choices, and interaction with environment. Also I miss minigames, perhaps I'd see them later.

BTW always do CTRL+A, CTRL+C before posting. It solves a lot of problems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom