Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Released on PC

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Does this have multiple endings, like Chrono Trigger?

What's the point of time travel otherwise.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I actually don't think time travel can't work without having multiple endings. Time travel is a good plot device to show you how things (may) develop further from this point in time, or how things were or may have been at earlier points. It can be used simply to tell a story that spans a whole lot of centuries (as well as alternative timelines), without necessarily introducing the possibility to change it.

Also, this is a Final Fantasy game. What multiple endings? :P

Deleted member 7219

Apparently XIII-2 does have multiple endings, but I'm only going on what I've heard. I'm still to finish XIII.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Also, this is a Final Fantasy game. What multiple endings? :P
Ah, but this is a Final Fantasy N-2, so it has multiple endings, just like X-2!

It has nine endings (only two "real" ones, the other are more of "what if" scenarios), but since we have Lightning Returns afterwards, only one is canon. Still, the endings are quite cool.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Okay, I stand corrected.

Still, I disagree that time travel has to involve multiple endings.

(Did Radiant Historia have multiple endings btw? I forget.)

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Apparently the alternative endings are all NG+, beat optional bosses, collect X time fragments, stuff.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Not really NG+...

The game is divided in several events & time periods that you visit in a non-linear way. And you can reset & revisit them. I.e., the first area has a huge boss that you must use a gimmick to weaken & kill. But later, when you're stronger, you can reset the area and re-do that event, now killing him with a frontal attack. And that unlocks new stuff.

Deleted member 7219

I just read it.

He recommends setting the highest AA possible because it has a small performance hit.

I found that if I selected the max AA setting my FPS dipped below 20 FPS, so I'm staying with x4 MSAA. The game looks great, especially Lightning's hair. :desu:

I won't use Gedosato because the game just didn't perform well with downscaling. That isn't Durante's fault, but I'm just trying to squeeze as much FPS as I can from the game.

Deleted member 7219

What the actual fuck?

Did they go Power Rangers with this one?

Duraframe300

Arcane
To give context as well, the theme only appears when you ride a special breed of chocobo that consistently consumes Gyshal Greens (and as such have to ride effectivly). Imo, the theme helps in keeping you on your toes.

Theres 4 different Chocobo themes in this IIRC.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
All this talk about chocobos and WTFs, and not a single mention of Chocolina?

FFXIII-2_Chocolina.jpg

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, this game looks actually pretty good, but tell me my more weaboo-conscious friends, do I need to play XIII first to have some kind of continuity, or is this a completely separate story? I kind of lost connection with Final Fantasy after IX, except watching Spoony's reviews/let's plays, which do not really push me in the direction of the original FF XIII.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So, this game looks actually pretty good, but tell me my more weaboo-conscious friends, do I need to play XIII first to have some kind of continuity
Nah.... the story of FF XIII is really shot & simple. All you need to know is told in the intro - we saved teh world, but Lightning vanished and now we play with her sister, who is looking for her.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Heh, but Lightning is a better waifu... I guess that's why they titled the third game LIGHTNING RETURNS, for all those that went butthurt at how she's barely in FF XIII-2.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I do not want to turn this thread into a Squeenix girl beauty contest, but for me, all their recent waifus pale in comparison to my teenage crush.

Marle2.png

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Just bought this. Really looking forward to playing another Final Fantasy game after over 10 years.

Does XIII-2 also come with Japanese audio, like the Steam version of XIII does?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Just tried first few minutes of FF XIII-2. It had same feeling like PS/PS2 era games, but...
First cutscene was about lightning.
First flashback was about lightning.
First talk about medailon was about lightning.
Then we had talk about Snow and lightning.
Then we have talk about cat...

There was too much lightning. Basically if they shown ONLY 1/3 of it and concentrated on story, it would be MUCH better. Beginning of the story had some Chrono Trigger vibe. But the story was fucked by... Considering third sequel is about lightning yet again...

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Final Fantasy main series managed to keep the same feeling since the PS 1 era, with the exception of FF IX. I don't know i it's a bad thing or a good thing...
Lightning is a better waifu.
Actually, when FF XIII was first released I was in middle school and when I watched it I thought Lightning was a cool girl, Japanese onee-san style and when I grow up I want to marry her. When I got to actually play it (On PC, many years later, since dad never liked me playing console and bought me a gaming PC instead :obviously:) my taste has already tempered a bit by other media, and thought she was too brooding instead.

By the way, when I first watch Noctis on Ef Ef Versus Thirteen's trailer I thought he was gay, and now when FF XV has finally released I still think he's gay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom