Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy XII remaster

Duraframe300

Arcane
bnKxqyE.png

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ha. I wish.

If they got rid of Vaan it would be one of the better Final Fantasies.

Last edited:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It'll probably just be some sort of HD upgrade of the Zodiac System version, which I don't think got released outside of Asia.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Waiting for an official confirmation. No idea why FF XII would even need a remake, unless it's just an HD version. It still looks good.

I wonder if Arnie simply got FF VII and XII mixed up.
:troll:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
FFXII "needs" a remake because there was never an official release of the better version in Europe, for example. Also because it's simply the best mainline FF game and I'd pay money for it again just to show Square that I love Ivalice this much.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
About time. :love:

Now let's just pray they don't screw it up by fucking up the soundtrack like they did with FF10 HD somehow.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Waiting for an official confirmation. No idea why FF XII would even need a remake, unless it's just an HD version. It still looks good.

I wonder if Arnie simply got FF VII and XII mixed up.

As long as we get the International Zodiac Job System, it is a good a reason as any.

I hope they fix the audio. While the voice acting was brilliant, the audio compression did not do it any justice at all.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It pioneered offline single player MMO gameplay thus paving the way for masterpieces like DA:I.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ODaMrk5.jpg

HD Remaster confirmed. Not that I am surprised or anything. Remaking XII would have cost a fuckton of money.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Didn't they lose the source code to this one ?
ODaMrk5.jpg

HD Remaster confirmed. Not that I am surprised or anything. Remaking XII would have cost a fuckton of money.

Well, it most likely will be the izjs edition. So, to be fair for the west its not just a simple HD remaster either.

That's in comparison to Final Fantasy X which at least had the pal version as a fully englisch version available in its improved form.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Come to think of it Square Enix does in general a commendable job on its hd remasters and often goes the extra mile. Sometime they may not hit the mark exactly, but they do actual work on it.

The Kingdom Hearts remasters are p. impressive. Even if the DS games (Somewhat understandably) only got their cutscenes hd'd)

In comparison most other hd remasters pretty much suck. From still having 4:3 menues (Devil May Cry HD) to outright making the game worse (Silent Hill Collection). Everything happened. And don't expect stable framerates or 1080p either.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Well, it most likely will be the izjs edition. So, to be fair for the west its not just a simple HD remaster either.

That's in comparison to Final Fantasy X which at least had the pal version as a fully englisch version available in its improved form.

I thought they were saying there's no actual remake-remastering being done of FFXII, but only of the concert arrangements.

Androv

Novice
Didn't even know people wanted to see FFXII remade. It's one of the games that began the trend of shitty Final Fantasies.

Well, FFVIII was first with that but FFXII took FFVIII's dumb design choices to the next level.

Also don't see who would want the FF game without Uematsu as composer, getting it's music remastered? :D:D:D:D Though I bet it would need it.

Oh boy.

J1M

Arcane
Can Final Fantasy XII be played on PC yet?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
With emulators, sure. You can even play an English patched international version.

Siveon

Bot
No clue what that means in this context but...

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/International_Version
Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System
Massive changes to Final Fantasy XII were made to its International version, some so great that the gameplay is almost completely different. It includes the Zodiac Job System, a completely new variation on Final Fantasy XII's battle system. It also includes a special bonus gameplay mode called Trial Mode and a New Game Plus feature.

We never got this upgrade here in English speaking countries, so an avid fan decided to translate the game and 'mod' it with a 'patch'. I do so hope you know what those terms mean. It's not finished, as far as I remember, but it's certainly fun to play.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I thought they were saying there's no actual remake-remastering being done of FFXII, but only of the concert arrangements.

As described in siveons post the zodiac job system version is quite a bit different from the one we got and the only way to play that so far was per fan patch. That's what I meant.

Also you can expect to be at least some remastering done, like updating textures that are just too low or other small stuff. There probably is less to be done in that regard than on FFX (where they also had to update pre-rendered backgrounds) but still..

SerratedBiz

Arcane
As described in siveons post the zodiac job system version is quite a bit different from the one we got and the only way to play that so far was per fan patch. That's what I meant.

Also you can expect to be at least some remastering done, like updating textures that are just too low or other small stuff. There probably is less to be done in that regard than on FFX (where they also had to update pre-rendered backgrounds) but still..

I know about the International version and what it would mean if Square published an updated FFXII with it. I'm saying that it seemed, to me (and I might be wrong, but that Twitter message is rather ambiguous) that they're not taking about a rerelease of any kind, but only a remaster of the concert arrangements for the Distant Worlds concerts. AKA, no game at all.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I know about the International version and what it would mean if Square published an updated FFXII with it. I'm saying that it seemed, to me (and I might be wrong, but that Twitter message is rather ambiguous) that they're not taking about a rerelease of any kind, but only a remaster of the concert arrangements for the Distant Worlds concerts. AKA, no game at all.
He said the word "Remake" was used in an erroneous way. He didn't deny anything about XII other than the wrong word being used. Sqaure Enix probably told Roth to write this blurb and then shut his mouth.

J1M

Arcane
No clue what that means in this context but...

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/International_Version

We never got this upgrade here in English speaking countries, so an avid fan decided to translate the game and 'mod' it with a 'patch'. I do so hope you know what those terms mean. It's not finished, as far as I remember, but it's certainly fun to play.
Having read about the differences, I'm not sure why the zodiac system would be viewed as an upgrade. Especially at this place, where the general consensus louder individuals advocate skill based systems are preferred over class based systems.

More than anything else, it sounds like they took the existing system and added character building traps to it.

Siveon

Bot
I've only played the original myself, but a lot of people (even those on this forum iirc), considered it and referred to it as an upgrade. Make of that what you will.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom