Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Squeenix FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD for PC - released

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by LESS T_T, May 10, 2016.

1. ghostdoggender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Then fuck this shit. There's no way I'm going again through endless hours of crappy cutscenes.

At least in PCSXE you can fast forward through all that.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. I'm With Her Mustawdgender: ⚧ for prison Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Seriously. What the fuck is the point of making something a mandatory cutscene?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again vonAchdorfgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Parrots:
    The vision of the designer how the game should be experienced?

Show Spoiler
    :troll:

^ Top  
  4. abnaxusgender: ⚧ Arcane

abnaxus
    Parrots:
    In emulator you can speed up the combat and travelling too, which is a blessing.

Only way I got through FFXII. If that one comes to PC too it'll be worse than Chink water torture.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again Mozggender: ⚧ Arcane

Mozg
    Parrots:
    Did I see somewhere saying the PC version has built in "cheats" that let you do 4x fast-forward or something like that?

^ Top  
  6. Phantasmalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Phantasmal
    Parrots:
    Seriously a bindable fast forward key has made so many JRPGs playable now, like those with loading screens, too many random encounters, slow animations or as mentioned, unskippable cutscenes. What a great and mandatory feature it's become.

Never actually played FFX. Skipped it all these years for some reason or another, probably the lame characters. Guess it's time to finally give it a go. In PCSX2 of course for the glory of the fast forward empire.

^ Top  
  7. Beggargender: ⚧ Learned

Beggar
    Parrots:
    New Persona entries took FF combat into another level. Hard to play with all these random encounters, little strategy combat + weeaboo as hell main character. Plus the soundtrack in all of the Persona's is just a masterwork. Not this typical FF market music. Blah

^ Top  
  8. Bahamutgender: ⚧ Arcane

Bahamut
    Parrots:
    Yea, you can speed up walking/combat up to 4x rest is unaffected

^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again Mozggender: ⚧ Arcane

Mozg
    Parrots:
    Welp. Post in this thread if someone hacks in a skip bullshit mod.

^ Top  
  10. I'm With Her Hobo Elfgender: ⚧ for prison Arcane

Hobo Elf
    Parrots:
    So you don't accidentally miss out on all the best parts of the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. Reangender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Rean
    Parrots:

:love:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Jinngender: ⚧ Arcane

Jinn
    Parrots:
    I hated FFX when it came out. I got a PS2 and the game for my birthday and was so pumped, then confused for the next 5-10 hours as to why I was just running down a single path and watching cutscenes. Granted, the combat system is quite good and I realized that back then too, but couldn't see past the other shit. I think my expectations for what a Final Fantasy game should be ended up completely ruining FFX for me back then.

After ignoring the game's (and its sequel's) existence since then, I've recently been listening to the OST for the first time in years. This prompted me to take another look at the game. Thinking of grabbing the PC version if a difficulty mod is released soon. I think I can appreciate the game's approach more now, despite its obvious shortcomings. And I think I can be more patient with Tidus as the protagonist with an understanding of the meta-narrative occurring and what his personality is meant to symbolize. I could not STAND that fucker when I first played it. Also, a FF in a southern asia inspired setting is pretty damn cool.

Speaking of, does anyone know of any promising difficulty mods for the PC version on the horizon?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    ^ Top  
  13. Reangender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Rean
    Parrots:
    I can't help with difficulty mods, but the PC version is terrific. Get Kaldaien's Untitled Project X mod to fix any remaining issues.

Also, the combat system is just lovely. It is so nice to have a proper turn-based system instead of the button mashing mess that was Final Fantasy XIII (and XV, it seems).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again Zed Duke of Banvillegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Parrots:
    There's no button mashing required in Final Fantasy XV. Instead, you just hold down the attack button to win almost every combat. :happytrollboy:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Make America Great Again vonAchdorfgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Parrots:
    While generally true, there are fights, where this doesn't work (e.g. if you decide to take on higher level enemies). The system could have been ok and even somewhat tactical, but since you can beat everything by throwing money at it (endless healing potions) it become a bit lackluster.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. abnaxusgender: ⚧ Arcane

abnaxus
    Parrots:
    I won the blitzball final only on emulator

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  17. Sigourngender: ⚧ Arcane Village Idiot

Sigourn
    Parrots:
    I really enjoyed Blitzball. It got too easy though, and because it was so basic once you had good players there was never any reason to keep playing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Reangender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Rean
    Parrots:
    Blitzball would have been perfectly fine if it wasn't for the RNG elements. I played it enough to win the tournament but I didn't bother with it after that.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. aweighgender: ⚧ Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    this

...is my story

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. One Stoned Bastardgender: ⚧ Educated

One Stoned Bastard
    Parrots:
    Can I just point out that FFX-X2 HD has cheap, bad models/facial animation while the PS2 release of FFX already had it all nailed down perfectly back then in 2001 or whatever?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Make America Great Again Jasedegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    Parrots:
    The only thing I like about X is the music, the graphics (on release) and the excellent turn-based combat. It might well be the fastest, snappiest turn-based combat system I know. It's true TB, like Final Fantasy 1-3, and not Active Time Battle (ATB) like in 4-9. Shame I dislike the rest of the game quite a lot; the system is incredibly solid.

To be honest, I can't off the top of my domepiece think of any other game, Japanese or otherwise, that has turn-based combat that is that snappy. You issue the command, they do the command; there's no delays at all and the animations are good, short and to the point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. I'm With Her Vaarna_Aarnegender: ⚧ for prison Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    Parrots:
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    A big part in it I guess is that it's sort of a TB-fied version of ATB, since it still calculates the turn sequence out of stats and active effects but it removes the gauge and patiently waits for you to decide your action. It ends up being very snappy due to that.

Shamus Young had quite a bit to say about the Blitzball finals, and I totally agree that it's probably the biggest wtf moment narratively in the game because they sort of forgot what it means if the player loses the finals after all the build-up:

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=32959

I totally recommend reading Shamus' retrospective on FFX as a companion to his Mass Effect retrospective, since he uses it as a good opportunity to further elaborate via contrast why Mass Effect 3 sucked and why it was Mass Effect 2's fault (since Shamus rather likes the first one). And he's still quite entertaining as a writer, so it's fun to read. First chapter also has a short lesson on worldbuilding and why Fallout 3 failed in it.

^ Top  
  23. Crossgender: ⚧ Learned

Cross
    Parrots:
    https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=332
    :prosper:The display of such incredibly shitty taste in RPG's and writing here is physically painful to read.

Final Fantasy X's combat is only 'snappy' compared to the ridiculous snail's pace of the previous FF games. Compared to any turn-based game with competently designed interface and animations, it's not very fast.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Make America Great Again Jasedegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    Parrots:
    Okay, name a few. Maybe I missed out on them.

^ Top  
  25. Morality Gamesgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    [​IMG]

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)