Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's hilarious they think a tentative 2020 release for a remake that started in like 2014 or 15 is an improved milestone.

And only the first episode of the remake and not the whole game. Really makes you think.

Hyperion

Arcane
Probably because their inhouse development teams suck. Or they put everything and everyone on FFXV to get it out the door in some semi-functional state, then scramble to finish the game in the 6 months after release. In which case, they suck.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Squaresoft, since merging into SquareEnix in 2002, has proven itself incapable of successfully developing an in-house AAA Final Fantasy on anything approaching schedule. First, FF XII had significant delays before its release in 2006, with its original director resigning due to management issues. Second, FF XIII experienced much more troubles in development, likely delayed more than two years from when it was intended for release when development began. Third, FF XIV, the successor to Squaresoft's earlier MMORPG FF XI, might have been released on time in 2010, but the game proved such a disaster that it was quickly shut down and re-tooled for three years before its successful relaunch in 2013. Fourth, FF XV was originally intended as a non-numbered spin-off of FF XIII, but its development proved such a trainwreck that the development team's leadership was eventually replaced, and even though it was finally ushered onto the market in a woefully unfinished state, it was still delayed five or six years relative to FF XIII (or seven to eight years overall). Considering their demonstrated incompetence over the last dozen years, its not surprising they would consider outsourcing development.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Although XII wasn't hugely popular and I wasn't a fan of the MMO-like party system, I still remember enjoying it. I'm not at all sure how well it's aged, but the missions and exploration were good fun at the time.

It was essentially the last worthwhile Final Fantasy title.

lightbane

Arcane
Wasn't XII the one in which the original director, in spite of Japanese culture encouraging slave mentality, felt physically ill and had to leave the company due Squeenix's terrible management?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Third, FF XIV, the successor to Squaresoft's earlier MMORPG FF XI, might have been released on time in 2010, but the game proved such a disaster that it was quickly shut down and re-tooled for three years before its successful relaunch in 2013.

At least the re-tooling under Yoshi was done on time iirc.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Although XII wasn't hugely popular and I wasn't a fan of the MMO-like party system, I still remember enjoying it. I'm not at all sure how well it's aged, but the missions and exploration were good fun at the time.

It was essentially the last worthwhile Final Fantasy title.
It's getting a remaster in July, for the PS4, the remastered graphics actually look good, and it has a bunch of improvements, like an on screen overlay of the map, speed options for combat and movement, a trial system and a reworked job system.

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
better check out 7th heaven for FFVII instead of waiting for this "remake"

Red Rogue

Learned
What a fucking joke.

Square is the most inefficient developer in the history of videogames. I'm not waiting half a decade to play a remake that will get mediocre to mildly positive reception.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's crazy is that their latest financial report was great. FFXV being the main contributor.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is this out yet? Just so curious how fucking badly they are going to fuck this up (like the NU-Combat™). :salute:
Ask this question in 2022 and maybe our response will be yes.
mystery.png

Tigranes

Arcane
I guess everybody in Midgar gets their nose job from the same doctor.

The most Fabulously Optimistic story I can spin on this is that given Square's absolute inability to create any kind of character or story not supercringe since like 2002, they are better off making a new AAA game that happens to copypaste an older game's story rather than writing another boy-band road trip saga.

Of course, by that logic, Bioware's new game should be a cinematic LARP action remake of Baldur's Gate where you play the Bhaalspawn over-the-shoulder cam with Dragon Age 2 awesome buttons and Imoen looks like a Gangnam cosmetic surgery ad

retinoid

Savant
Looks like they made Cloud SLIGHTLY more buff compared to the reveal trailer 4 years ago. And yes, it was actually 4 years ago. Fuck me.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Is that just the same combat system as FFXV? I never played it, but it looks like that same simplistic shit. Why couldn't they just keep the same turn based combat?

Last edited:

hexer

Combat system looks like FF 15 and Cloud has the same face as Noctis :o
It sucks seeing they made Aerith so beautiful while knowing what will happen to her.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom