Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Adon

Arcane
FF7 remake producer on why epic remake is epic: http://na.square-enix.com/us/blog/final-fantasy-vii-remake-psx-2015-message-yoshinori-kitase

With FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE, we have the opportunity to go beyond the story, world and experience of FINAL FANTASY VII in ways we’ve always dreamed of - from the depths of Midgar to the skies above the Planet. The multi-part format enables us to expand the original story and turn it into an epic experience for fans and new gamers alike.

Yes, since the FFVII compilation didn't work, let's whore out a remake of the original game.

:prosper:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
That's just sad. If it wasn't apparent before, it should be now that this remake is obviously for the newfag crowd who buy into the whole "turn based games were a technical limitation and not a feature!!1" argument. It's always the same damn story and I'm getting pretty tired of it. Devs need to stop shitting on their past games in order to generate hype for their new ones.

Grimlorn

Arcane
I just wonder what they could be thinking. Are the Japanese gamers asking for a remake? Just doesn't make any sense to think changing the entire game and making it into chapters is a good idea. It's like they want this to fail and kill the FF7 franchise. I'm thinking from the sounds of it, they may not even have a world map to explore. You'll just travel from one location to the next automatically to keep the cinematic experience going. They should keep the music from the PSX version. That was one of the stronger parts of the game from what I remember.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm not sure the Japanese are asking for a remake since neo-Nippons wouldn't care about the game if FF7 was released today in its original glory, but this remake is very much aimed at them as the demographic. Square hosted a poll for the FF15 demo after releasing it and the results were pretty lukewarm for the Japanese, whereas westerners loved it. Common complaints were that it was too difficult and too long. The same thing was said about Xenoblade Chronicles X when it was released in Japan. They hate long games now. Looking it at from that angle you'll begin to understand where all the squashing is coming from and why they are going for bite sized segments. FF7 was a titanic game when it came to length and content. There's no way a game like that would be well recieved by the Japanese in the current climate.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
gum4GXT.jpg

Grimlorn

Arcane
I'm not sure the Japanese are asking for a remake since neo-Nippons wouldn't care about the game if FF7 was released today in its original glory, but this remake is very much aimed at them as the demographic. Square hosted a poll for the FF15 demo after releasing it and the results were pretty lukewarm for the Japanese, whereas westerners loved it. Common complaints were that it was too difficult and too long. The same thing was said about Xenoblade Chronicles X when it was released in Japan. They hate long games now. Looking it at from that angle you'll begin to understand where all the squashing is coming from and why they are going for bite sized segments. FF7 was a titanic game when it came to length and content. There's no way a game like that would be well recieved by the Japanese in the current climate.
Didn't know the Japanese went so casual. FF15 was incredibly simple when it came to combat wasn't it? Just push a button and you dodged automatically. Don't even have to move in a certain direction.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I have to say I love Cloud's desing in the new gameplay trailer - his body tells a story of it's own. If you come across a heavy drug user, you can immediately tell just from looking at his dehydrated, pale and skinny face that something is terribly wrong. Similarly, Cloud's body tells that he's sick - he's still recovering from severe mako poisoning and just a couple of days ago he was barely able to walk.

tumblr_inline_nyxbm8GBGE1rc71sq_540.jpg

Cloud is not your typical cool angsty anime hero, but a person who has been drugged, tortured and broken to a point that he has lost all sense of self. Cloud's body tells this story. To me this design decision shows that there are still some creative people working at Square and that the remake might actually end up pretty decent.
Neat observation.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I hope this fails fucking spectacularly. Square has its head so far up their ass they can't see anything anymore.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I hope this fails fucking spectacularly. Square has its head so far up their ass they can't see anything anymore.

It'll be the same situation as the Star Wars prequels. Game will be a disappointing mess with high production values and people will bitch for years about it, while still buying every installment on release.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The proper version is here

I wonder how many times will they re-release the same game? first ps3, then pc and now ps4.

It's like it is too hard to understand that what made final fantasies is the old combat, and they are pushing real hard the real time combat in new games.

Last edited:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
http://gematsu.com/2015/12/final-fantasy-vii-remake-part-one-scenario-complete

As previously announced, Final Fantasy VII Remake is being broken up into parts as the density of the original game would not allow a remake to fit into a single release, according to Square Enix.

• They want add delver further into Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie.

It sounds like this is getting the Hobbit treatment, secondary characters getting their own arcs that either have no meaningful impact on the story or end up retconning stuff, just to pad out the playtime in each environment, to suit the episodic format.
Biggs, Wedge and Jessie were pretty cool and Midgar is the best part of the game. It's so disappointing as soon as you leave Midgar and you're on this green world map where the most generic RPG town ever is 15 steps away. I have no problem with them making Midgar bigger.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
guy(not Jim Sterling) splains why ATB is bad:

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/12/counterpoint-regarding-active-time-battle-systems/

I wanted to talk a bit about Active Time Battle systems, why they aren’t en vogue any more and why I think that’s a good thing.

ATB systems – and really any menu-driven, turn-based, combat system – is something I’ve had the opportunity to think a lot about. As someone who grew up with the very beginnings of Final Fantasy, I had the benefit of being able to draw upon a lot of experiences with these kinds of systems (for better or worse).

While turn-based combat (TBC) systems give designers some great structure, they also create a lot of problems, specifically with difficulty.

Newer players experiencing TBC for the first time will probably not [stumble upon the game-breaking secret] to TBC, but it will probably become apparent eventually – If you can push more healing in a given turn than a given encounter pushes damage, then you cannot lose.

My favorite example of this idea in action is the Zeromus fight in Final Fantasy IV. It serves as an outstanding example of where TBC kind of falls flat. A great example of the “HP-IN > HP-OUT” strategy can be found here:

It’s largely uninteresting – and at its most difficult, instead of being engaging, it’s tedious as you spend a lot of your turns keeping your party alive while you slowly poke away at a boss when it’s ‘safe’ to do so.

I don’t think early designers realized how problematic this idea was, and how damning it can be to the entire system. Evidence of this I think can be seen in fights as early as Warmech from the original Final Fantasy, fights which are ‘hard’ because the numbers are big, and whose solution is to simply find a way to put more HP on your party than is being taken away, which often comes in the form of ‘more levels’ – it’s extremely uninteresting.

I also think Square figured this out and started down a road where fights had less emphasis on raw numbers, resource management became a little more tricky, and bosses became closer to puzzles than simple number checks. I think Yunalesca from Final Fantasy X might be the best example of this, but forcing a party to deal with status effects can be seen pretty much anywhere a Malboro exists, and perhaps most notably against Necron in Final Fantasy IX.

With all that in mind, I think not only do designers see it as potentially boring for the fans well-versed with TBC, but also boring for themselves.

When you are working with a set of systems you already know is flawed from the ground up, it’s hard to get excited about it. It’s hard to pour passion into that, and instead of blazing a trail and making something that is a reflection of your ideals, you’re instead trying to patch together a game on the back of systems you might not even like.

I think it’s this attitude which birthed systems like Final Fantasy XIII‘s combat system – it’s definitely turn-based, but the rapid pace and partitioned turns make you think about combat a little differently, even if you are a veteran of TBC. Was it perfect? Certainly not, but the idea oozes passion and I am of the opinion that it’s a net positive for the series to at least try these kinds of things and see where they go.

So when it comes to the Final Fantasy VII remake, should they abandon the traditional TBC that it helped further solidify as the mainstay of all JRPGs? Maybe not. I think there is something kind of sacred to maintaining the systems that were in the original game. Minor tweaks and changes would be okay in that regard, but a total overhaul of the combat systems might be too much.

At the same time though, I can’t help but be excited for what might be. It might be super cool to see familiar bosses presented in a new way on the back of a new combat system. There is a lot of potential to bring a new experience to people, even to those that have played VII several times, and I think there can be value in that. Will it be for the better? I guess time will tell.

I hope in this rambling, I helped explain why turn-based combat might not be as acceptable as it once was.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Just because SE can't do TB right, doesn't means TB itself sucks. It's damn well acceptable as it once was, I hope faggots like this guy just die.

did you even read the article, you dumb fuck? what good would it do to put TB in a game made by SE, if they "can't do TB right"?

GrainWetski

Arcane
Any type of TB is better than the generic action combat that all the retards of the industry seems to love.

Viata

Arcane
Just because SE can't do TB right, doesn't means TB itself sucks. It's damn well acceptable as it once was, I hope faggots like this guy just die.

did you even read the article, you dumb fuck? what good would it do to put TB in a game made by SE, if they "can't do TB right"?

I hope in this rambling, I helped explain why turn-based combat might not be as acceptable as it once was.

Adon

Arcane
ATB systems – and really any menu-driven, turn-based, combat system – is something I’ve had the opportunity to think a lot about. As someone who grew up with the very beginnings of Final Fantasy, I had the benefit of being able to draw upon a lot of experiences with these kinds of systems

:hahyou:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom