Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Kem0sabe

Arcane
First episode will probably be the initial terrorist run and some random shit in Midgar. Fuck this shit. Speaking of terrorism, you think the Japs will change some stuff due to all the shit going on right now?
This shit will be episodic? As if the decline couldn't be bigger

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
i don't even

Action combat? Episodic release? How can they fuck it up this badly. Though I guess on the business side of things this makes sense -- put in the least amount of effort and still rake in millions of dollars off of retards who'll buy it just because it's FF7.

I can't see how map exploration, back tracking, and side questing would work in an episodic game, so yeah, I expect some sort of bullet points 'remake'.

Tehdagah

Arcane
It will probably be more cinematic and linear. Focus on the story etc etc

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Final Fantasy XIII didn't get received well. Got to retrain those old fags to like the new style of Final Fantasy games.

Nahel

Arcane
So screwing up the gameplay was not enough, dlc and episodic format are next...Anyway i have not touched a FF game since XII. X-2 was awful and XII was a online MMO. It is really hard to imagine this company was once one of my favorites. They just had to upgrade the graphics and they would have made a lot of money with people buying full price... But it required too much brainpower...

A user named cat

Haha this company. Can't say it's surprising. So it'll be railroaded with likely no world map or any exploration, just a bunch of greatest hits areas. What brilliant people they have at the helm. When was the last time Squeenix put out a decent game if ever at all? That Romancing Saga remake on PS2? I really can't think of anything else aside from the old FF anniversary releases on PSP.

Avellion

Erudite
I already had very little hope after the new character models, action combat and Mr. T looking like ass. But man, this episodic format is taking it to a whole new level.

Amsr0Di.jpg

Avellion

Erudite
New information on Final Fantasy VII Remake has come out of new interviews with producer Yoshinori Kitase and director Tetsuya Nomura published by Famitsu and Dengeki Online.

But first, if you missed it, watch the debut gameplay trailer for Final Fantasy VII Remake here. Then catch up on yesterday’s news where Square Enix announced the game will be released in multiple parts.

Here are some noteworthy interview snippets from Famitsu:

• Various companies, including CyberConnect2, are assisting development. However, CyberConnect2’s production tastes differ from that of Square Enix’s, so the two companies are keeping very close with each other. Director Tetsuya Nomura was annoyed by the direction of the latest trailer, so Square Enix changed it to be closer to its own style.
  • Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children‘s models aren’t being used because they’re more than 10 years old and are too deformed (in the sense that they’re unrealistic). Each part of the remake’s models have been adjusted many times over to be a proper balance between realistic and deformed.
  • The entirety of the latest trailer is all in-game, except for the snippets from the E3 2015 teaser trailer. You can alter the camera angle during the train scene.
  • Cloud looks skinny due to his white skin and the lighting.
  • The scenario where Cloud cross-dresses for Don Corneo will be in the game, but the design still hasn’t been decided.
  • The ATB gauge is there, but it’s not the type where you wait for it to fill up and then attack. Instead, it’s its own system that lends to the action of this game. Its name might also be changed. Nomura says you should pay particular attention to when the gauge turns red.
  • There are three-member parties and you can switch freely between them. You can also just control one character if you don’t want to switch.
  • The quality of the latest trailer is just the starting point. Now that they’re able to showcase the direction of the remake, they’re moving into polishing.

Edit: They forgot to mention their feeble excuse for going episodic. Because if they didnt they would have to cut stuff out if they didnt.

also, the interview in question,

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a multi-part series. Please tell us more about this decision.

Kitase: “The idea that a remake of Final Fantasy VII would not fit into a single release was there from the very beginning. We still can’t share more information about its multiple parts, but please look forward to future announcements.”

Nomura: “If we dedicated our time to a single release, parts of it would become summarized. We’d have to cut some parts, and additional parts would come in few, so rather than remake the game as a full volume, we decided to do multiple parts.

Kitase: “As you can see in the trailer, we showed Sector 1 and Sector 8, but in those areas alone, I think you can see a lot of density. When you’re remaking the entirety of the original version in that quality, it’s not possible to fit it all in one release.”

How will the battle system work?

Kitase: “Rather than a command-based battle ensuing when you encounter an enemy, we’re aiming for a seamless active battle, as you can see in the trailer.”

Nomura: “Regarding the battle speed and tempo, for the sake of a stress-free battle, we want to do something on the level of Dissidia Final Fantasy. As far as the degree of action goes, it’s Dissidia Final Fantasy, then Kingdom Hearts, then Final Fantasy VII Remake. There won’t be any actions that require a technique. By using the new system, we want to do action battles while also being able to fight while thinking strategically.”

What about the elements of the original battle system?

Nomura: “In the end, it’s based on Final Fantasy VII, so elements like the ATB gauge and Limit Breaks will appear with new ways to be used. Please look forward to how this game will evolve through the remake.”

Will the story be adjusted at all?

Nomura: “In addition to delving into these episodes more deeply, we’re preparing a number of mechanisms and such. To those who played the original version will know the important parts and understand the story from the beginning to the end. Also for these people, I hope that they can be surprised once again.”

Kitase: “I don’t want the remake to end as something nostalgic. I want to get the fans of the original version excited.We’ll be making adjustments to the story with this feeling in mind.”

http://gematsu.com/2015/12/final-fa...nnect2-collaboration-more#UdHACBFKBYUQ5YZB.99

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's amazing how big companies can fuck up their games in a variety of ways.

Up there you can see the purest form of PR bullshit you can ever see:
“The idea that a remake of Final Fantasy VII would not fit into a single release was there from the very beginning.
Hahahahaha ohwow, it's not like you have huge detailed games like Skyrim, Witcher of Fallout, where they can fit a bigger world into the game than FFVII's world.

Perkel

Arcane
playing tune to bad game.

We all know why they are doing it.
Sell 5 episodes of FFVII then 2 episodes of CC add bullshit for another 60$ costumes and other shit.

A user named cat

How will the battle system work?

Kitase: “Rather than a command-based battle ensuing when you encounter an enemy, we’re aiming for a seamless active battle, as you can see in the trailer.”

Nomura: “Regarding the battle speed and tempo, for the sake of a stress-free battle, we want to do something on the level of Dissidia Final Fantasy. As far as the degree of action goes, it’s Dissidia Final Fantasy, then Kingdom Hearts, then Final Fantasy VII Remake. There won’t be any actions that require a technique. By using the new system, we want to do action battles while also being able to fight while thinking strategically.”

http://gematsu.com/2015/12/final-fa...nnect2-collaboration-more#UdHACBFKBYUQ5YZB.99
Well here I was thinking it would be on the shit level of Crisis Core, but now they've dropped to the next circle of hell known as Dissidia. What crackhead on earth even enjoyed that horrible game? This is seriously what the Japs think fans want more of. There are no words, time to move on.

nil

Cipher
All I want to know is which character will get the Lightning outfit dlc.

Beastro

Arcane
Apparently the game will be released as episodes, not a complete game;

:D

Speaking of terrorism, you think the Japs will change some stuff due to all the shit going on right now?

Since when the fuck do Japanese care about that shit?

They had a sense not to offend religious sensibilities, but that's 15 years gone. Things like terrorism never really bothered them.

You can alter the camera angle during the train scene.

Which train scene? The opening one?

That wasn't part of the gameplay at all, it was just a smattering of FMV flashes.

Cloud looks skinny due to his white skin and the lighting.

He always was a skinny little shit. That's part of the charm of the Buster Sword, it let's you think it's being almost tongue in cheek as oppose to being serious by having someone like Barret wield it. It approached almost Flash Gordon levels of absurd that you gave it a pass for being so audacious.
Cloud_Strife.png

The scenario where Cloud cross-dresses for Don Corneo will be in the game, but the design still hasn’t been decided.

Given the way this is going I wouldn't bet this was an episode all its own. :D

If the Japanese were as up with the SJW shit as the West was they could really make a killing trying to pass this off as some trail blazing SJ shit from the 90s.

The ATB gauge is there, but it’s not the type where you wait for it to fill up and then attack. Instead, it’s its own system that lends to the action of this game.
Fallout3_38_VATS_feral.jpg

There are three-member parties and you can switch freely between them. You can also just control one character if you don’t want to switch.

:retarded:

So they're just shoe horning nostalgia into their new combat model...

Kitase: “The idea that a remake of Final Fantasy VII would not fit into a single release was there from the very beginning. We still can’t share more information about its multiple parts, but please look forward to future announcements.”

Good thing you told all those fucking nerds that screamed at the first announcement.

Nomura: “If we dedicated our time to a single release, parts of it would become summarized. We’d have to cut some parts, and additional parts would come in few, so rather than remake the game as a full volume, we decided to do multiple parts.

Yes, yes, just like all of your remakes - oh wait.

How fucking dumb can these people be?

All people wanted was a shot for shot remake with updated graphics at the very least with the expectation of added content, like maybe some things that were cut or a added option dungeon like they did with the FFIII re-release on GBA.

Kitase: “As you can see in the trailer, we showed Sector 1 and Sector 8, but in those areas alone, I think you can see a lot of density. When you’re remaking the entirety of the original version in that quality, it’s not possible to fit it all in one release.”

Then cut back on density. The narrative of the story sure didn't need anything more added to the Migrad section to do.

Nomura: “In the end, it’s based on Final Fantasy VII, so elements like the ATB gauge and Limit Breaks will appear with new ways to be used. Please look forward to how this game will evolve through the remake.”
Fallout3_38_VATS_feral.jpg

You know. I didn't even anticipate any of this when the remake was announced, all I knew was it was going to be a huge let down and kept warning people I knew not to get worked up about it. It's so fucking hard not to be a jaded cynic these days and these idiots keep making it harder.

The only good thing to come from this is it's gotten me in the mood to revisit FFII after like 9 years. Might play it and then finally get around to completing the end of FFIX.

Last edited:

GrainWetski

Arcane
They had a sense not to offend religious sensibilities, but that's 15 years gone. Things like terrorism never really bothered them.

As if it wasn't Americans that did(and still do, for that matter) the censoring.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane

As if it wasn't Americans that did(and still do, for that matter) the censoring.

Yeah I know, the thing was that reaction let to the Japanese making assumptions before going forward just to save time in that area of the world, as oppose to the lack of qualms about that game dealing with Hinduism that caused a minor (very minor) stink ages back in India.

Machocruz

Arcane
SE are hacks, through and through. There appears to be no good will towards the player with any of the decisions they are making, and no craft. Cold, hard corporatism.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Man, do some research.

There was an Evangelion episode that got axed because it was apparently too similar to recent (at the time) terrorist gas attacks during the time.

Metal Gear Solid 2 had to cut parts in the ending involving the Twin Towers being wrecked.

And on a more related to Final Fantasy note - FF6's Celes getting beaten up by soldiers scene was cut from the Japanese GBA release because there was some recent kidnap/torture case going on at that time.

The Japanese are definitely affected by recent news enough to cut shit from their game if they think it will cause negative publicity due to "bad taste"

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'll play it in ten years. When it's completed, and as a collection for 19.99€ or less. Thanks, Square Enix, but your fans have grown up and like to spend their money on more sensible stuff.

lightbane

Arcane
:hmmm: They're not pretending anymore, are they?
It's kinda amusing that the game starts with a plot about freedom fighters dirty terrorists fighting a ridiculously EVIL, short-sighted megacorporation™ that cares about nothing except short-term benefits, when the company producing this is not that different from the one portrayed in the game. In before a 30 $ DLC to get a special mission/sidequest to save Aeris, along with another DLC to gain access to the game's ultimate weapon for every character.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
They've gone too orchestral drowning out the rest. If Advent Child is any indication, what isn't drowned out by an orchestra will be drowned out by a guitar going nuts. What worked with so much of the originals music was how it played to midi's strengths and easily conveyed emotion and atmosphere that really matched the areas you were in or what the characters were thinking/talking about.
The original music wasn't in midi, you mean the crappy PC port.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom