Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Final Fantasy VII Released on Steam

m_s0

Arcane
People really thought this was fun? Talk about being on rails.

That's kind of the point of jrpgs, but what bothered me the most about FFVII was the incomprehensible plot (one of the worst translations I've ever seen, and knowing the Japanese the plot was probably a load of random pseudo-intellectual bullshit anyway in the original version) and the overall kitchen-sink approach to design. The music didn't help either (there's a few nice pieces, but it's mostly garbage). It's a nice experiment if you take into account the fact that it was the first 3D game in the series, but as a game it's pretty horrible.

And from the look of things I gather they still didn't fix one of the biggest issues FFVII had (and the only one that could be fixed at this point) - the translation - in the re-release? :thumbsup:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, this just looks like a zero-effort cash grab to take advantage of all the people that are nostalgic about FF7. I also loved FF7 when I was 14 (probably the right age for it), but I'm waiting for a proper HD remake - of course, that might also be a train wreck. :P

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I still have my ps1 and copy of ff7 from 15 years ago if I really want to play it again for nostalgia's sake so to hell with this cash grab.

Btw, fuck Xenogears for the over thought and drawn out story and its shitty combat. The game was released half finished, but unlike other unfinished 'gems' (anything by Obsidian) the game could not hold my interest. The only square game I hated more was FF8, but that is probably because I haven't played any console games since the ps1 era.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Who knows, but it has been a Steam top seller since they put it on there, so apparently there is some interest.

Bet a fuckton of people buy it to own it and never play it past their first nostalgic few minutes! Not that there's anything wrong with it. If it takes five hundred non-player nostalgics to have the game on Steam for one sperg who really wants to play it, well, everyone wins, huh?

Yeah, this just looks like a zero-effort cash grab to take advantage of all the people that are nostalgic about FF7.
FF7 was ported to PC aaages ago. Only platform I've ever played it on, back in the days where you'd actually order physical products on Amazon and terk our jobs. Putting it on Steam is less than zero effort! Just a distribution rights deal.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Does this version use MIDI for the music?

I read they replaced the music files with MIDI. luls
Yes it uses the same shitty music the original PC version used back in the day. There are fan mods to replace it with the PSX music. Very lazy re-release though.

Thanks! This would probably sound really fucking sweet on my JV-1080 or Sound Canvas. <3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom