Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy Tactics

Perkel

Arcane
I played most of FFT a long time ago. I had zero understanding of what was going on plotwise. I just don't have a head for these convoluted JRPG stories any more. :argh:

It is written by same dude who wrote and made tactics ogre so game story and dialogs (provided you play non retarded psp version) are better than 90% games codex think have amazing writing.
After you've played a few JRPGs everything becomes blurred together.

True but that doesn't work for FFT or TO or any of his work. Writting is waaaay above most of games including some of the best wrpgs in those games.

R@tmaster

Educated
The Lion War mod got to it's conclusion I think, now I can finally finish this game.
Have you ever wanted to see the extra content in War of the Lions, but couldn't stand the slowdown, or the weird, faux old
English speak? Did you ever hear of Japanese content that was cut from the English release of FFT, and wonder why we never got
to see any of it? Do you hate the DEB 'feature' from vanilla? If so, then Final Fantasy Tactics - The Lion War, has you covered!

Finally after years of production and many many scrapped and remade builds, The Lion War is finally available for download!
Featuring all of the extra scenes and battles with De-WotLized speech, intro and opening movies and extra units from War of the Lions,
with the addition of Ashley Riot instead of Luso. You can even get Dark Knights as a generic class in The Lion War!

In addition to the above, we've changed up the vanilla sidequest requirements a bit. See the Changelog thread for more info on this.

This is also the first mod to have fully functioning, english sound novels working in game! That's right, no softlocking, or google translate here.
We currently have 3 of the 4 novels, tested and curated over several years, completely functional, and we have a translator working on
getting the 4th one in proper english as well.
This is also the first mod to ever have the translated generic unit quotes added back in for all generic units in the game.
This feature, like the Sound Novels, was dummied out of the english version of the game, and never included in WotL. You can now
click start on any units name in the formation window to see their unique quote.

A lot of work went into making this all function correctly, and for anyone who wants to use TLW as a base for their own FFT mod, resources
will soon be supplied for a full build. We've also saved you ~130 event slots, so you can easily expand upon the story, add marks,
or whatever else you may want to use the space for.

https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=12767.0

Don't forget to download videos.

R@tmaster

Educated
What is? Modification of WOTL translation of extra scenes or preference of PSX translation over WOTL's?

Last edited:

Poseidon00

Arcane
The only FFT mod I need is the Patcher so I can fiddle with it myself. Make the highest tier monsters closer to classes in terms of power, throw in an extra skill or two, give stat bonuses to classes that obviously deserve them, knights can use spears, etc. The AI in that game is so solid is adapts to whatever you change and uses the skills/items/abilities properly.

FFT was so much fun and such a blast but I guess I wrung all the magic out of it already, because every time I try to start a new playthrough I get bored of it fast. It was really cool discovering the classes as you played through, and learning to abuse the calculator profession was cool once. Learning the calculator trick was totally unnecessary due to ninjas was cool for a playthrough.

I only ever played the version with the bad translations. It was hilarious to me when I played it. I totally didn't follow the plot at all, I was so confused when the demon bosses showed up. I guess I was just bad at paying attention to what was going on, because even with the bad translations they totally explained the demon shit.

How does tactics ogre compare, gameplay/build variety wise?

Poseidon00

Arcane
FFT was so much fun and such a blast but I guess I wrung all the magic out of it already, because every time I try to start a new playthrough I get bored of it fast. It was really cool discovering the classes as you played through, and learning to abuse the calculator profession was cool once. Learning the calculator trick was totally unnecessary due to ninjas was cool for a playthrough.

I only ever played the version with the bad translations. It was hilarious to me when I played it. I totally didn't follow the plot at all, I was so confused when the demon bosses showed up. I guess I was just bad at paying attention to what was going on, because even with the bad translations they totally explained the demon shit.

How does tactics ogre compare, gameplay/build variety wise?

Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together uses the same engine and has very similar gameplay. Story wise it is almost just as good with three branching scenarios and, in the PSP version, lots of postgame content.

It is most certainly worth a look. Whole series is but that is where I would start.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
TO:LUCT was a great game, but I'm pretty sure it's NOT the same engine as FFT. FFT was played on a 3D map. Tactics Ogre was played on a pure pixel-art map.

As for gameplay and build variety, I actually thought that FFT had a lot more variety with the different builds you could put together and the fun abilities you could combine. TO also has some unique game-design decisions that can come as kind of a surprise to FFT players. Minmaxers will unfortunately find out that they levelled their characters sub-optimally for the whole game. When you get a grasp on how levelling works, don't worry about your characters that didn't take advantage of the level-ups. Just keep playing the game for your first playthrough because it's a great game, and try a level-up optimized run for your second playthrough.

Delterius

Arcane
I played most of FFT a long time ago. I had zero understanding of what was going on plotwise. I just don't have a head for these convoluted JRPG stories any more. :argh:
Don't ever touch Kingdom Hearts. I seriously doubt anyone on their writing team has any idea what's going on anymore.
i haven't played a single kingdom hearts game since the first one and every 2 years i try to understand the plot so far

it makes for great entertainment

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom