Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Final Fantasy IV Released on Steam; XIII Announced for PC, Available for Pre-order

Seems like there is no dual audio. If you want japanese vo, you need an asian IP. If you've ever wanted to test whether you can activate stuff through a VPN, I guess it's now.

Huh, pretty shitty of them to not give us a option to choose the language/Audio. Maybe they're afraid the game will be 50GB or something.

They could make it an optional download. Steam now allows you to choose which DLC you want to install. I think people would be willing to pay more for a better port.

What makes Final Fantasy IV so worthy of all this attention?

It's

fun

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Uh, I guess. Final Fantasy V and VI were both better by almost any conceivable metric, yet FFVI keeps getting remakes, ports, and cellphone sequels.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
One of the first modern jRPG. Classic system with a groundbreaking plot at the time. That very plot is not so special anymore in 2014 eyes but it remains decent, and yes, as it was pointed out, the gameplay though classic is masterfully executed. It's a game that doesn't surprise and just plays very good.

Wholeheartedly recommended.

On the Super NES.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nice, IV is one of the best, and of its many versions, the DS version is both the best translated and the most difficult one. Highly recommended. Even the graphics capture the spirit of the SNES version as well as no other remake ever has.

When I say it's the most difficult I mean compared to the very hard original Japanese release, and under the condition that you don't use the newly added "augments". It's very challenging and a lot of fun, requiring judicious use of items, status effects and clever tactics.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Nice, IV is one of the best, and of its many versions, the DS version is both the best translated and the most difficult one. Highly recommended. Even the graphics capture the spirit of the SNES version as well as no other remake ever has.

When I say it's the most difficult I mean compared to the very hard original Japanese release, and under the condition that you don't use the newly added "augments". It's very challenging and a lot of fun, requiring judicious use of items, status effects and clever tactics.

What?

As already said. PSP has that title

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I haven't played the PSP remake as I never had a handheld Sony console, so I can't comment on the validity of your remark! But I ain't gonna doubt you. (Of all the remakes I've seen, though, I will say that going 3D is always a downgrade, but this, of those I've played, was the least of them in terms of loss of quality. They did a good job of making what made the visual designs memorable 3D.)

Edit: you can't blame me for that, they rereleased 4 like like 5000 times and even a fan probably had enough after playing the game five, six times.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Speaking of PSP... is The After Years worth playing?
One thing worth mentioning is that the game is also out on Android. And it features The After Years also redone in that engine.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
One of the first modern jRPG. Classic system with a groundbreaking plot at the time. That very plot is not so special anymore in 2014 eyes but it remains decent, and yes, as it was pointed out, the gameplay though classic is masterfully executed. It's a game that doesn't surprise and just plays very good.

Wholeheartedly recommended.

On the Super NES.

I've come close to finishing it several times (SNES as a child, and later, on the DS 3D remake) but never bothered. While I can see the continuing appeal, I played FFVI first and always had that experience to conjure a fog of disappointment with the other Classic Final Fantasies -- or really the series as a whole.

Let me know when they put the Sa-Ga 2 remake on PC (they won't).

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
I hope someone could pack those 30 gigabytes in a nice torrent

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
XIII is terrible and I do not recommend anyone buying it, but if you really insist on doing so and want Japanese voices, I think the version from the Humble store has Japanese audio.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
XIII is terrible and I do not recommend anyone buying it, but if you really insist on doing so and want Japanese voices, I think the version from the Humble store has Japanese audio.

Nope. The humble store is selling a steam code with the same region limitations.
Yeah, my bad. Still, do not buy it. it's terrible, I know from first hand experience.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Calling XIII terrible is not only an insult to the word but to kind on the game as well.

For me, if X and X-2 were the coffin and the lid for the Final fantasy series then XIII is the nails.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I never understood the adoration for FFVI, that was utter shit, at least FFV had a decent class system (for a jrpg) and IV was a bit charming, but good god, VI was just annoying

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Good pacing, lots of side-quest in the second half, the bad guy actually wins.
Great mood / atmosphere too, and beautiful graphics & music.

And we all cried during the opera sequence. ;_;

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I never understood the adoration for FFVI, that was utter shit, at least FFV had a decent class system (for a jrpg) and IV was a bit charming, but good god, VI was just annoying
Adding another person on my hitlist.
:updatedmytxt:

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
12 is a MMO......:M

You can's actually play and finish it.

That's XI.

But yeah, couldn't they just release X or XII, which are somewhat decent? X remake runs on the same gaming system as XIII, how hard would it be to port this instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom