Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Final Fantasy IV Released on Steam; XIII Announced for PC, Available for Pre-order

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Final Fantasy IV; Final Fantasy XIII; Square Enix

After the Final Fantasy III, VII and VIII releases earlier, Square Enix has now made Final Fantasy IV available on Steam. (UPDATE: You can also preorder Final Fantasy XIII there -- see below.)

About the Game
FINAL FANTASY IV makes its debut on PC!

As the first game in the series to feature the innovative Active Time Battle system, FINAL FANTASY IV stands as an iconic milestone in FINAL FANTASY history. Lose yourself in this timeless tale of heroes, betrayal, love and redemption—now optimized for PC!

Key Features:
Fully voiced, dramatic cut-scenes
Deep, emotionally charged character development
All-new system for charting dungeons and uncovering the secrets within
Inspiring score accessible at anytime from the built-in Jukebox​

Somewhat disappointingly, this port is based on the Nintendo DS version, with its blocky 3D sprites instead of the original 2D ones. You can get the game here. Personally, I already played it on my DS, but it's good to see more classic JRPGs coming to Steam - I just wish these ports looked less lazy.

In other news, the "worst main series Final Fantasy," namely the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy, has been announced for PC, too. In fact, you can preorder it on Steam for a very affordable price already. Release date is October 9th.

Final Fantasy XIII is a fantasy RPG in which a band of brave humans struggle against fate in the utopian sky city of Cocoon and the primeval world of Pulse. Follow stylish heroine Lightning's fast paced battles and high adventure in a mysterious new world.

DO YOU HAVE THE COURAGE TO FACE YOUR DESTINY?

As a deepening crisis threatens to plunge the floating world of Cocoon into chaos, a band of unsuspecting strangers find themselves branded enemies of the state. With the panicking population baying for their blood, and the military all too happy to oblige, they have no choice but to run for their lives. Join them on a desperate quest to challenge the forces controlling their fate, and prevent untold destruction.

Featuring an unforgettable storyline, a battle system blending action and strategy, cutting-edge visuals and awe-inspiring cinematic sequences, FINAL FANTASY® XIII delivers the next step in the evolution of gaming.​

The fact that the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy may be coming to PC circulated as a rumor earlier based on the Steam logo found on the official website.

Apparently the rest of the trilogy is soon to follow as well -- here's the press release:

FINAL FANTASY XIII SERIES ANNOUNCED FOR WINDOWS PC

LONDON (18th September, 2014) – Square Enix Ltd., publishers of SQUARE ENIX® interactive entertainment products in Europe and PAL territories, today announces the FINAL FANTASY® XIII trilogy of games is headed to Windows PC, with the first in the series, FINAL FANTASY XIII, due for release on 9th October 2014.

The game will be available to download via the Square Enix online store and the Steam PC digital service (amongst others), priced at £10.99/€12.99. The game is available to pre-order now via the Square Enix Store and Steam, with those pre-ordering receiving 10% off. It is also confirmed that the FINAL FANTASY XIII trilogy will offer a set of Steam Trading Cards for players to collect and exchange.

On its original console release in 2010, FINAL FANTASY XIII marked the dawning of a new era for the celebrated series, bringing the game to multiple hi-definition consoles simultaneously for the first time in its history. The original game and subsequent adventures in the FINAL FANTASY XIII trilogy will soon be available for PC gamers to play for the very first time, with all games in the series due for release by Spring 2015.

FINAL FANTASY XIII expands on the rich traditions of the series, with producer Yoshinori Kitase, director Motomu Toriyama, character designer Tetsuya Nomura and art director Isamu Kamikokuryo combining their creativity to deliver a beautifully epic FINAL FANTASY universe. Additionally, Masashi Hamauzu presents a sweeping soundtrack while movie director Takeshi Nozue and his team of artists adorn the game with seamless cinematic sequences.

The FINAL FANTASY XIII trilogy began in March 2010 with the release of the original FINAL FANTASY XIII and continued with its sequel, FINAL FANTASY XIII-2, released in February 2012. The most recent release in the FINAL FANTASY XIII series, LIGHTNING RETURNS™: FINAL FANTASY XIII, launched on 14th February 2014 to critical acclaim. The series has been widely successful, shipping over 11 million units worldwide.​

Duraframe300

Arcane
They should have ported the psp version

Also XiII is by far not the worst mainline ff. Much less its sequels :troll:

Last edited:
FF XIII is the worst FF and is coming to steam, how exciting news. Probably gonna be as bad console port as other ones too.

As for FFIV, clumsy touch interface, awful blocky 3D graphics. Why would I play anything else than the Snes version?

Duraframe300

Arcane
FF XIII is the worst FF and is coming to steam, how exciting news. Probably gonna be as bad console port as other ones too.

As for FFIV, clumsy touch interface, awful blocky 3D graphics. Why would I play anything else than the Snes version?

PSP version is pretty good. The only 2D art update Square did great. Shame they never port that version.

(Of course the FFI and II anniversary editions as well.)

PSP version is pretty good. The only 2D art update Square did great. Shame they never port that version.

(Of course the FFI and II anniversary editions as well.)

Indeed the PSP version doesn't look too bad and looks faithful to the originals. Might actually play that just to see if it holds. :salute:

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Wish they removed the 15fps lock from FF7, wanted to replay it out of nostalgia, but it hurts my eyes.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The Final Fantasy III version also looks very blocky. I don't see the appeal of playing that one after playing the NES one, except maybe for the new bits of story but I assume they do not add to much. I found the DS remakes for the Dragon Warrior games to be more interesting, with both better updated graphics and extra content.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yep, updated the newspost to reflect that this is now a fact: FFXIII coming to Steam on Oct 9th (worldwide).

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Is there a pricing error? It's currently up for less then £10.00

Should be £10.99 according to the press release (yes, it's cheaper than FFIV, lol) -- which also confirms we'll get the entire series released on PC:

FINAL FANTASY XIII SERIES ANNOUNCED FOR WINDOWS PC

LONDON (18th September, 2014) – Square Enix Ltd., publishers of SQUARE ENIX® interactive entertainment products in Europe and PAL territories, today announces the FINAL FANTASY® XIII trilogy of games is headed to Windows PC, with the first in the series, FINAL FANTASY XIII, due for release on 9th October 2014.

The game will be available to download via the Square Enix online store and the Steam PC digital service (amongst others), priced at £10.99/€12.99. The game is available to pre-order now via the Square Enix Store and Steam, with those pre-ordering receiving 10% off. It is also confirmed that the FINAL FANTASY XIII trilogy will offer a set of Steam Trading Cards for players to collect and exchange.

On its original console release in 2010, FINAL FANTASY XIII marked the dawning of a new era for the celebrated series, bringing the game to multiple hi-definition consoles simultaneously for the first time in its history. The original game and subsequent adventures in the FINAL FANTASY XIII trilogy will soon be available for PC gamers to play for the very first time, with all games in the series due for release by Spring 2015.

FINAL FANTASY XIII expands on the rich traditions of the series, with producer Yoshinori Kitase, director Motomu Toriyama, character designer Tetsuya Nomura and art director Isamu Kamikokuryo combining their creativity to deliver a beautifully epic FINAL FANTASY universe. Additionally, Masashi Hamauzu presents a sweeping soundtrack while movie director Takeshi Nozue and his team of artists adorn the game with seamless cinematic sequences.

The FINAL FANTASY XIII trilogy began in March 2010 with the release of the original FINAL FANTASY XIII and continued with its sequel, FINAL FANTASY XIII-2, released in February 2012. The most recent release in the FINAL FANTASY XIII series, LIGHTNING RETURNS™: FINAL FANTASY XIII, launched on 14th February 2014 to critical acclaim. The series has been widely successful, shipping over 11 million units worldwide.​

EDIT: Currently 10% off until release.

Last edited:

Diablo169

Arcane
Thanks Bee, Kudos to Square then, it's likely going to be a mediocre port but at least they aren't charging a small fortunate for it.

1411058266408.jpg

Seems like there is no dual audio. If you want japanese vo, you need an asian IP. If you've ever wanted to test whether you can activate stuff through a VPN, I guess it's now.

Huh, pretty shitty of them to not give us a option to choose the language/Audio. Maybe they're afraid the game will be 50GB or something.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
PC release date is accord with the date when XIII will be released on Dive In (Squeenix's cloud gaming thing). If this will be the case for other two games, XIII-2 and LR will be released on December 2014 and sometime 2015 each.

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think I owe Square Enix some $$$ for Final Fantasy IV, because I played it on an emulator and loved it, and they never saw a single cent from me. Might as well buy it on Steam to redeem myself.

When it gets a discount, of course. Let us not get completely crazy.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think I owe Square Enix some $$$ for Final Fantasy IV, because I played it on an emulator and loved it, and they never saw a single cent from me. Might as well buy it on Steam to redeem myself.

When it gets a discount, of course. Let us not get completely crazy.

What makes Final Fantasy IV so worthy of all this attention?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not sure what attention you mean, but from all the FF games currently available on Steam, it is the only one I really liked, that is why I mentioned it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom