Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy 15

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
For some reason, on low, my laptop is running a score of 1400 on the benchmark. It has a 960M and it should apparently score a 4000. What the hell ? CPU usage is low, so it's not the bottleneck. I have latest drivers.

Oh well, I still have the desktop to play it on. Does anyone know if that is going to use Denuvo ? If FF12 is any indication it will, but then they also just released a demo with an executable soooo....

Arthandas

Liturgist
My main problem with jrpgs is they often have those robust mechanics, tons of equipment and skills but 99% of the time you can use whatever and whenever you want and still stomp any opponent in the game. I don't think I've ever played an jrpg where the game actually forced me to do anything other than spam my most damaging attack and heal with potions when necessary. That's why I no longer play any jrpgs unless there are some good cheatengine scripts/mods to bump the difficulty. FFXV is supposedly getting a hard mode and supposedly it'll be moddable so maybe finally I'll play a new jrpg :)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Ash
Delterius

i'm actually curious about this detail: how the fuck does Cyan's samurai skillz work in FF6 if you're using WAIT MODE?

For those who don't remember Cyan's thang is that his samurai attack changes and becomes much stronger the longer you let his little samurai gauge bar fill out... the reason the player has to weigh the pros and cons of letting his bar fill up a little or a lot is because enemies can continue attacking your party while Cyan's samurai gauge is going.

I've never bothered toggling WAIT MODE in any FF and can't imagine how anyone would ever need to do so i mean these aren't exactly difficult JRPGs... but reading the past few posts made me remember Cyan and his specific skill and this question popped into my head.

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
got a score of 1070 running on lowest setting on my good old m14x (nVidia GT555m)
Was not planning in playing it but was curious how my laptop would do. Also the benchmark made me want to play the game even less somehow...
Didn't feel any FF fibe at all (except for the chocobo). FF XII was the last one I actually played. Quite sure my laptop should be able to handle it (if it doesn't die tomorrow of old age...)

Ash

Arcane
I've never bothered toggling WAIT MODE in any FF and can't imagine how anyone would ever need to do so i mean these aren't exactly difficult JRPGs... but reading the past few posts made me remember Cyan and his specific skill and this question popped into my head.

Fuck scrolling through shitty list windows against a timer!

Also play the hardcore rom hacks before you fags scream casual. Highly doubt active is possible with the likes of FF8 requiem. You're all the casuals until you've played at least a few. :obviously:

Falksi

Arcane
So I bought Heavy Rain & Beyond Two Souls but the discs were nackard so wouldn't work. Went back to get them changed for another copy....and none in. Store credit instead.

Great. That'll credit tickt will get lost or washed etc. in a day or two, so thought I best buy whatever was on offer. Next to nothing of major appeal, and the best option? FF15.

So I guess I'm gunna have to play it now. Didn't really want to, but it's the hand fate has dealt. If ever you're gunna see an unbiased opinion of it it'll be here in a few weeks/months from me.

Deflowerer

Arcane
My main problem with jrpgs is they often have those robust mechanics, tons of equipment and skills but 99% of the time you can use whatever and whenever you want and still stomp any opponent in the game. I don't think I've ever played an jrpg where the game actually forced me to do anything other than spam my most damaging attack and heal with potions when necessary. That's why I no longer play any jrpgs unless there are some good cheatengine scripts/mods to bump the difficulty. FFXV is supposedly getting a hard mode and supposedly it'll be moddable so maybe finally I'll play a new jrpg :)

Play Megami Tensei games.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
So I bought Heavy Rain & Beyond Two Souls but the discs were nackard so wouldn't work. Went back to get them changed for another copy....and none in. Store credit instead.

Great. That'll credit tickt will get lost or washed etc. in a day or two, so thought I best buy whatever was on offer. Next to nothing of major appeal, and the best option? FF15.

So I guess I'm gunna have to play it now. Didn't really want to, but it's the hand fate has dealt. If ever you're gunna see an unbiased opinion of it it'll be here in a few weeks/months from me.

Go back and demand your money back. They didn't deliver the product you paid for.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
got a score of 1070 running on lowest setting on my good old m14x (nVidia GT555m)
Was not planning in playing it but was curious how my laptop would do. Also the benchmark made me want to play the game even less somehow...
Didn't feel any FF fibe at all (except for the chocobo). FF XII was the last one I actually played. Quite sure my laptop should be able to handle it (if it doesn't die tomorrow of old age...)

You get 1070 on a GT555M and I get 1400 on a 960M ?
Dafuq. Something is wrong with my laptop.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.pcgamer.com/final-fantasy-15-on-pc-will-support-xbox-one-cross-play-for-online-co-op/

Final Fantasy 15 on PC will support Xbox One cross-play
Windows edition supports "Xbox Live cross-platform co-op".

The Windows edition of Final Fantasy 15 will feature cross-platform co-op with Xbox One players, according to the Microsoft Store listing for the game.

The game's Comrades DLC, which came out on consoles last year and will ship with the PC version, introduced online co-op to the game, with players working together to complete quests. So that's likely where the "Xbox Live cross-platform co-op" will come in (don't expect to run through the campaign with your friends on console or anything like that).

The Steam version of the game won't have the same functionality, sadly (although it will have the Steam workshop for mods, which is a bonus).

The game is due to come out on PC on March 6. As Joe found out last year, it'll look incredible in 4K if you've got the PC to handle it (sadly, I don't), but lower-end rigs will still be able to enjoy it thanks to the accessible minimum specs.

Not that I care about Xbox cross-play, but it's interesting that they're trying almost everything they can do with PC releases (Steam/Origin/Windows Store releases, many options and Nvidia features, benchmark, mod tools and Steam workshop support, Steam marketplace, and Denuvo...)

Except DRM-free/GOG release of course.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Not that I care about Xbox cross-play, but it's interesting that they're trying almost everything they can do with PC releases (Steam/Origin/Windows Store releases, many options and Nvidia features, benchmark, mod tools and Steam workshop support, Steam marketplace, and Denuvo...)

Yes, I noticed that - and their trailer / advertising specially emphasized PC centric features. It appears that they decided to take this more seriously than their first resolution locked steps into PC ports with FF XIII.

But support for FF XV in general has been unusually high. In my opinion it's a rather mediocre entry to the series, which they certainly know. But they decided to convince people to trust the brand not for the entry's brilliance but for the ongoing effort and support they'd pour into the title, even after launch. And doing the PC release right, is part of this strategy.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Yes, I noticed that - and their trailer / advertising specially emphasized PC centric features. It appears that they decided to take this more seriously than their first resolution locked steps into PC ports with FF XIII.

But support for FF XV in general has been unusually high. In my opinion it's a rather mediocre entry to the series, which they certainly know. But they decided to convince people to trust the brand not for the entry's brilliance but for the ongoing effort and support they'd pour into the title, even after launch. And doing the PC release right, is part of this strategy.

Yeah, I guess there's also that this game is made with their own engine, Luminous. It seems like they want to test their engine and development pipelines in as many scenarios as possible.

Arthandas

Liturgist
So apparently the benchmark is a rushed and unoptimized piece of shit:

Here's to the first taste of the future glorious PC version :D

Zer0wing

Cipher
rushed and unoptimized piece of shit:
More like done on purpose and planned in cooperation with Nvidia. Remember the Crysis 2 DX11 fiasco, you don't just leave those concrete blocks or something in the age of automated culling. If Squeenix truly cared about optimization, they'd go for TressFX, they're worked with AMD and used it in TR2013, so what's the problem?

Arthandas

Liturgist
More like done on purpose and planned in cooperation with Nvidia.
Lack of occlusion and the constant global rendering of hairworks effects whether they're on screen or not also affects Nvidia so I highly doubt it.

Arthandas

Liturgist
SWEDEN Yes. But not to as extreme degree as to AMD GPUs.
Whether it's true or not doesn't change the fact you can measure shit with this benchmark, and if they can't even make such a simple tool then I'm really worried about the pc port (especially when you consider the newly released FFXII has higher requirements than much better looking Lightning Returns).

Zer0wing

Cipher
Whether it's true or not doesn't change the fact you can measure shit with this benchmark, and if they can't even made such a simple tool then I'm really worried about the pc port.
Can't remember saying otherwise, I just don't believe in stupidity or that simple lazyness applies here.

Perkel

Arcane
So apparently the benchmark is a rushed and unoptimized piece of shit:

More like site looking for clickbait. They unlocked camera via hack and are trying to push some narrative that game is unoptimized because their hacked camera shows stuff that normally should be culled or resorted to LOD system.
Problem here is "hacked camera" part and you can see that their camera basically breaks the benchmark with obviously game trying to load textures etc but also leaving a lot of stuff like it was culled and LODed.

Point is that game should be judged by graphics to performance you get out of hardware rather than some technique in game engine design. If it looks like shit and takes 1080 to run it is shitty unoptimized game, if it is great looking at takes 960 to run well it is well optimized game.

Gameworks is known shit and FF15 is shit too but that doesn't mean you should criticize both of those on fronts it doesn't need to.

FF15 does look good. Even on PS4 as i played and i fully expect to have high requirements because base PS4 game struggled with 30fps @ 1080p and each PS4 comes with basically 7970 (they are a bit worse but closed API means more perfomance)

Still don't buy game. Game is shit. And no eye candy can fix it.

Deleted member 7219

What's the game like in terms of story and atmosphere? I liked Kingsglaive.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
A problem with the game is that it lacks a clear direction and is a hodgepodge of ideas and features from 10 years of development. The open world, while often pretty, ruins the pacing and if you do all the MMO fetch and kill quests you outlevel the story by 10 or more levels, making it trivial.
The atmosphere of driving around with your bros is nicely done*, as is the western rural vibe.

* until you notice that the driving is on rails even if you hold the wheel.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom