Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy 15

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Quintus does look like Ignis a bit and fits the archetype too.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Does the game offer any means of changing the player-characters' ridiculous hair styles, or will that wait for the inevitable PC version?

Hyperion

Arcane
Hurt my knee lifting today (better not be serious...), so I ended up finding some more time to play, albeit not in the way I wanted. I found some "machinery" weapons, which are quite literally Edgar's tools redone. They're pretty awkward to use (REALLY slow), and I'm kinda disappointed that the Auto Crossbow doesn't function in the same way as Edgar's. I've also found some huge monsters outdoors that I can't kill. They just completely outmuscle me, and certain attacks are fully unavoidable using Phasing. Seems like no matter how good you are you can't kill them too low. Unless I'm missing some crucial strategy points.

I did some more exploring of the first zone (haven't even gotten my car back yet) and found 2 dungeons. The lower levels are blocked out till you reach the story trigger. Most likely the point where you have to go collecting the Royal Arms. The first dungeon was sort of like a fallout shelter / panic space carved inside of a mountain. The second was an old forgotten mineshaft. Both had a pretty cool Southwestern US vibe to it not normally in JRPGs. Dare I say, the dungeons are....actually fun? Even with the lower areas blocked off, the first time through each dungeon is a good 30 - 45 minutes while you're exploring every crevice. Most of the main encounters have just been hordes of Goblins hiding in different areas that jump out at you to try and scare the fuck out of you, which is kind of disappointing, but the boss encounters were enjoyable.

Well...I only killed 1 of the bosses, and it was fairly challenging, but nothing over the top. I don't wanna ruin the spoilers but the second boss has a pretty cool "WHAT THE FUCKING HELL JUST HAPPENED?!" moment if you're moving too quickly and can quite easily kill you. After I found the real boss room and tried to engage him, he one shot my entire party and I had to redo the whole dungeon. No punches pulled there, and I loved every second of it. To my knowledge, once you enter a dungeon, there's also no saving allowed. HUGE plus to say fuck you to the save scummers out there. For some added fun, try disabling the minimap in the options tab while going through the dungeon. You'll still have your world map available to you (it fills out the dungeon map as you progress), but it certainly adds to the experience. Added points for the bros making fun of Prompto for being a pussy in dark places. When I was going through the dungeons, the entire time it felt like direct inspiration from Dark Arisen, which can never be a bad thing imo. If they improve upon the encounters in later dungeons they will easily be the highlight of the game. Don't be shocked when they release standalone content using the same engine that focuses entirely on dungeon crawling.

Does the game offer any means of changing the player-characters' ridiculous hair styles, or will that wait for the inevitable PC version?

...Nope. The camera zooms out during combat, so the only one you really notice is Noctis'. Cutscenes will obviously be another story, but it's one of the things you gotta deal with.

And to the people bitching about a lack of builds - you get to equip up to 3 Accessories (with proper talents), and 4 weapons. Accessories so far have been basic +Stats. Found 1 that has a special effect, but is for the bros only. Having weapons equipped (not wielded) also provides stat boosts. Supposedly some of the later weapons give extremely powerful stat boosts, so it may very well be possible to focus on a Magic-user Noctis, or a total physical beefcake Noctis. I found a pretty low level +Defense and a +Strength accessory for Noctis, and it has helped magnitudes in survivability and damage. Accessories (at least right now) are NOT insignificant boosts.

tet666

Augur
Of course.
If you want to play something like this my tip is to wait for Nier:Automata next year it looks like it does everything this game attempts to only way way better.

Last edited:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I'm having fun with it, got about 20 hours in and just hit chapter 3. Trying to do all the hunts and sidequests and just general exploring. Sometimes I just chill and fish all game day.

I missed not being able to manually drive the car for that bit of time it wouldn't let you drive. But now, I'm happy just using auto-drive.

Still trying to really figure out the battle system.

Making potions is confusing. I thought I made 15 fire potions...but I guess I only made 1 fire potion with 15 potency? Or it Multicast or some shit...maybe I need to empty the blizzard and lightning first..I have no fucking idea. blizz and light say 0 on the left...but I still make multi-cast shit.

Zep--

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Played some of this game. There is some really interesting shit. The combat though is just a mess right now. It describes as complex but I just seem to smash the buttons. There is no time to real strategize (maybe I'm too old lol). Still, the manual calls it RPg, the commercial calls it action adventure. I think it does have a lot of the usual FF RPG tropes. Graphics are great, the option for using the old FF music is nice. Little things like only levelling up at camping is nice too. Love the blatant sexuality of the mechanic chick. :P

LOOK AT ME TITS, BOYS, LOOK AT ME TITS!!!

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
They ruined Cindy with that southern USA tailer trash voice. I'd probably visit the garage more if it wasn't for that voice. As it is now, I can't wait for her to stop talking so I can leave.

Zep--

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I've playing it a couple of hours in the Bloodborne machine. It's actually very good in some aspects. That fucking road movi style got me, and the main characters talking about random things or about the environment and interacting with each other is just great. Reminds me some cRPGs in that regard. In others, it just looks obsolete. And the combat system it's actually pretty weird. I'm not sure if it is a complete design mess or a fun one yet. The Begimo fight got stuck on me, in good and bad ways.

Some of the criticism the game is receiving is just hilarious. Looks like the media wanted to punish a main FF game after the disaster that was XIII at all costs.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Apparently you also need to watch the movie tie-in to understand the plot since some pretty important stuff happens there. There's also the prequel anime series, but that's free on YouTube.

They ruined Cindy with that southern USA tailer trash voice. I'd probably visit the garage more if it wasn't for that voice. As it is now, I can't wait for her to stop talking so I can leave.

Zep--

There's another character a bit later on with an even more annoying voice. Anyone who's played the first couple of hours of the story knows who I'm talking about.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
The Kingsglaive movie isn't really required but it does help to understand some minor characters motivations. It definitely pieced things together better (elaborating on things like the world beliefs, factions, and characters) after watching so I recommend it if possible. Forget the anime though. Can't see how knowing what food Ignis liked as a kid (just guessing) really matters.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The Kingsglaive movie isn't really required but it does help to understand some minor characters motivations. It definitely pieced things together better (elaborating on things like the world beliefs, factions, and characters) after watching so I recommend it if possible. Forget the anime though. Can't see how knowing what food Ignis liked as a kid (just guessing) really matters.

That is very close the plot of the Ignis episode, actually. :negative:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Outside of the wackyadoo combat, the game just seems to me like a DA3 or any of those other 'open world' games... outside of exploration there isn't much reason to play and eventually you just get bored simply because lots of the things to explore come across as samey. I wonder how long it'll take for me to just stop loading it up. And, by fuck, those are some long ass load times.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Outside of the wackyadoo combat, the game just seems to me like a DA3 or any of those other 'open world' games... outside of exploration there isn't much reason to play and eventually you just get bored simply because lots of the things to explore come across as samey. I wonder how long it'll take for me to just stop loading it up. And, by fuck, those are some long ass load times.
How is enemy variety and what do you think of the dungeons in the game? People seem to like the actual dungeons and calling them some of the best in the series. I'd also like your opinion on Ardyn.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
54 pages discussing this cancer, no doubt soon to be 100.

5XYnz76.jpg

Modron

Arcane

5XYnz76.jpg
Traditionally speaking these threads tend to slow down a lot post release once it turns out that said game is indeed crap like we have been saying all along, really only bethesda games have any kind of long tail wind despite being shit because some prominent shills with no taste.

PS playing that bunch of characters would be far more interesting than FF15 probably.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
And you have contributed.
Does this make you feel better?

I certainly feel entitled to my usual 2-3 posts in any thread about an irredeemably shit game.

Count yourself lucky I don't spend weeks shitposting about how terrible it is on a daily basis, as per Codex tradition.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Okay so let's get some things going from 19 hours and 42 minutes of gameplay:

- The "amazing" dungeons are extremely linear affairs that remind me of Skyrim's Dungeons. Zero flavoring whatsoever, each one is a single linear path straight to the finish with a bunch of mobs jumping out at you. The positive is that most of the areas are different, so unlike skyrim each dungeon is unique from a visual perspective and enemy perspective. But most of them are linear as fuck - and they mostly just require your retardo ass to get to the end to get the treasure, which, like the dragon shouts, is part of your mystical power that you get due to being the Chosen One or whatever. Although I've found 8/13 Armiger weapons and I can't tell if that actually makes me more powerful or not, unlike the Dragon Shouts from skyrim which usually either improved or gave you a new ability. So it's not awesome.

I've completed 40+ sidequests and the overwhelming majority of them are shitty as all hell. They're boring as fuck and almost all of them are fetch quests. There's a few neat ones, such as the fishing quests, but most of them are terrible deliveryman quests. Hunts are better, but you can break the game by making supernukes REALLY EARLY ON and turn most of them into a joke. Doubly so when you get summons. Shit, I was doing FINE against a boss when suddenly Ramuh started being summonable.

So the people shilling the dungeons and sidequests ITT were full of shit. What a surprise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom