Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy 15

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Looks absolutely nothing like a Final Fantasy game.
The only Final Fantasy-looking game when the series went 3D is FF9. Then people complain about "cutesiness" so we get "realistic" "emotional" shit like this.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, when the series started moving towards complete 3D I thought we'd eventually begin getting great looking 3D representations of Amano's art but have instead gotten mostly ugly, dull looking trash. Sure, from a technical standpoint the games look good but design wise, I haven't really liked the look of any of the games since IX.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Most jrpgs didn't start getting easy until the mid 90's.
Pretty easy to get a total party wipe, you mean. :M Unless you grinded, you were never sure you could complete a dungeon on your first try (from FF4 onwards that's a foregone conclusion, especially since they're way more generous about saving the game)
Grinding = tedium != difficulty.

Or is WoW a hard game because you can't solo a raid boss at level 1?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Even the 3D games maintained the top-down perspective with turn based or pseudo-turn based combat. And they didn't take place in what appears to be modern-day Japan with giant robots. It's like they completely forgot about the "fantasy" part of Final Fantasy. And they obviously threw the "final" part out years ago, so that just leaves us with...XV.

Seriously, there's just something wrong with that trailer. It's the aesthetics, the actiony Devil May Cry combat, the character design, the setting, everything is just wrong. I'm sure it'll sell 5 million copies anyway because they changed the name and people still haven't figured out that Square bled all their talent away years ago and are just running on name recognition at this point.

Most jrpgs didn't start getting easy until the mid 90's.
Pretty easy to get a total party wipe, you mean. :M Unless you grinded, you were never sure you could complete a dungeon on your first try (from FF4 onwards that's a foregone conclusion, especially since they're way more generous about saving the game)
Grinding = tedium != difficulty.

Or is WoW a hard game because you can't solo a raid boss at level 1?

Uh? The point is that the games were hard if you played normally, unless you grinded for hours which makes them easy.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
h9FE08009

oscar

Arcane
Final Fantasy XV is set in modern times, but the city-like country Lucis which protagonist Noctis hails from is the only technologically advanced location, otherwise surrounded by medieval nations. The reason for this divide is a cold war waged over crystals, the last of which Lucis holds. The other nations used to have their own crystals, but lost them due to ongoing conflicts. They have since focused their efforts on the development of weapons rather than on the progress of their culture, which left them in their regressive state.

So not mafia... you're a prince instead. Meh. And the whole "we are advanced while you're medieval cause you focused on war" is extremely retarded. Focusing on machines and war turns you into a industrial society, not holds you on medieval times.

Indeed, it was the other way around. China focused on high culture (which boomed post Yuan dynasty), harmony and internal stability. Europe's constant feuding and lack of a dominant continental hegemony meant that states looked for any possible way to gain an advantage over their neighbours, taking risks and desperately seeking to gain an edge. Constant warring and economic competition also led to the development of capitalism and advanced finance, as monarchs struggled to financially sustain the wars they found themselves in from traditional feudal administration and were forced to either centralise into absolutism or co-operate and share power with parliaments.

FF setting, plot and characters were never supposed to make any sense, their aim was to impress and cash in on those weird androgynous nipp fashion trends.

Now, as to the gameplay, I couldn't care less if this isn't turn based. FF (and for that matter, most JRPG) combat never was any interesting, I'll be happy if they pull off a decent arpg/hack'n slash. Japs do those far better than they do RPGs anyway.

oscar

Arcane
Indeed, I often notice with my friends that they dislike turn-based as their only real interaction with it has been in Final Fantasy or Pokemon.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Dark: Meanness. Like kicking a puppy.
Mature: Things kids aren't allowed to do by their parents.

Is it just me or is the definition of these words that a small child would arrive at based on their perspective? Is the publishing industry run by ages 5-9?

John_Blazze

Augur
Looks absolutely nothing like a Final Fantasy game.

Shemale looking protagonist with weird hairdo fighting big ass monsters sent in by Badman Evildude whos going to bring the end of the world.

It's FF game alright.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Even the 3D games maintained the top-down perspective with turn based or pseudo-turn based combat. And they didn't take place in what appears to be modern-day Japan with giant robots. It's like they completely forgot about the "fantasy" part of Final Fantasy. And they obviously threw the "final" part out years ago, so that just leaves us with...XV.

Seriously, there's just something wrong with that trailer. It's the aesthetics, the actiony Devil May Cry combat, the character design, the setting, everything is just wrong. I'm sure it'll sell 5 million copies anyway because they changed the name and people still haven't figured out that Square bled all their talent away years ago and are just running on name recognition at this point.

Square Enix went to shit before losing any of their talent (Well, Sakaguchi)

They just put ALL the wrong people in charge.

Last edited:

Drakron

Arcane
Constant warring and economic competition also led to the development of capitalism and advanced finance, as monarchs struggled to financially sustain the wars they found themselves in from traditional feudal administration and were forced to either centralise into absolutism or co-operate and share power with parliaments.

HARDLY!

To begin the first economical powerhouses were the Italian States that were mostly stable, they were the ones that given the rise of the Renaissance ... then come the Discoveries that were done by the Iberan nations that had finished up the Reconquista and were absolute monarchies.

None was caused by what you said because THEY DIDNT EXIST, the traditional Feudal model might been the standard of the Central and Eastern Europe but certainly not of the entirely of Europe, there is the extremely bad habit of panting the whole of Europe of using the French model thats completely BOLLOCKS.

By the time France and England rose as powers they were already stable countries that werent fighting in all fronts, the idea War leads to progress is true in the sense there is more effort put on R&D but at the same time I point out WHO was the first using cannons, the Chinese and then by Islamic powers were the Europeans were too busy NOT using the Crossbow because the Pope didnt like it.

Feudalism collapsed because of PEACE, the model itself was basically something that was put up to fill the void caused by the collapse of the Roman Empire even if not all European nations followed that model.

Of course peace also can lead to stagnation when in isolation.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
For all the bad things that I can agree with about FFXIII that none the less did NOT stop me from finishing the main quest, I have to give it props for being the first FF with a complex enough battle system that going back to it a year later left me feeling completely like a nube. The reflexes and understanding of the in-combat mechanics and non-weapon enhancement equipment mechanics but a year earlier were all reduced to a state of drunken confusion (granted I was trying to beat the final boss again on my "finished" game and then move on to the extra-grindy optional quests). If I still had the game, I would have to play it again to relearn all that I had (I never once used the auto-combat, and many deaths taught me the right way to win some battles. The game does not play itself if you set combat to normal speed instead of slow, default cursor to abilities instead of auto, and never use auto. Also, running past or invisisol-ing past every enemy that you can sort of makes gameplay speed up as far as area covered but results in more deaths to get the mechanics down. However, going back and grinding was still necessary in many cases for me but by far not all).

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sony sold their Square Enix stock the other day. $50 million was the sum. Not that this has much to do with FFXV, but what the hell, didn't know where to post it. It's not Sony got any special treatment anyway. Square Enix don't even know the Vita exists anymore.

Delterius

Arcane
Pretty sure Sony helped Square Enix from time to time, both companies were really close. Especially back when their games were Sony exclusives. So this is an interesting fact.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
SE is a sinking ship and the stock just went up a bit recently so Sony is looking to make as much of a profit out of this it as they can. Also unrelated, but according to a survey SE has some of the worst staff satisfaction out of the major Japanese game companies.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
SE is a sinking ship and the stock just went up a bit recently so Sony is looking to make as much of a profit out of this it as they can. Also unrelated, but according to a survey SE has some of the worst staff satisfaction out of the major Japanese game companies.

You think SE is done for and all hope is lost?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

You think SE is done for and all hope is lost?
Just because they won't die completely doesn't mean it isn't sinking. Sega wasn't 'done for' but it was definitely sinking and there was a good time to sell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom