Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Female equality - the dumbest cliche in modern fantasy?

Discussion in 'Codex Public Library' started by PorkaMorka, Oct 15, 2011.

?

Why is the cliche of female equality used so often in fantasy media?

1. The writers have internalized current PC norms of equality (they really are that dumb)

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  2. The writers think it will attract a bigger female audience.

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. The writers think it will help them get sex.

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  4. The writers are afraid they're be criticized if they don't have a strong female character.

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  5. Adding a female warrior to each book is an easy way to come up with a character that the readers won

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other (Please specify)

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Damned Registrationsgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Not quite the same. It's not like having a fantasy setting where women had the same physical strength as men would change much, aside from make them uglier. It's not like you need to break the laws of physics to make girls strong, plenty of other species have bigger females than males.

OTOH, swinging a sword that weighs more than you down like a feather and not having your feet leave the ground defies physical laws. Well, they're already bullet (or in the case of ELITE HARDCORE CRPGS, arrow) sponges that never bleed and store entire apothecaries (and armories) in their pockets, so who gives a fuck. Books tend to be held to a higher standard since the common writing style is much less abstract, but really, arguing that human sexual dimorphism is a sacred cow that mustn't be changed but it's ok for physics to take a back seat while people throw fireballs around and the dead walk the earth is rather myopic. Lack of language barriers alone in any fantasy setting is much more cringe worthy than this.

^ Top  
  2. DraQgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Parrots:
    This.

Plus in fantasy and SF you usually have other species and they can be all over the scale in terms of sexual dimorphism and social structure. And then you have to remember that traits like strength are not fixed at certain value but have certain distribution, so you will have very strong human females and very weak human males.

So, all in all the problem isn't powerful females, but egalitarian societies being so prevalent in fantasy against all reason.

^ Top  
  3. Khor1255gender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Khor1255
    Parrots:
    It seemed like a novel idea in the 80s and a way to get women into the thick of a combat heavy game/novel/movie whatever. But now it is indeed a sad cliche with next to no redeemable value either in terms of lessening the suspension of disbelief or advancing the storyline in any way other than the utterly popamole.

A good experiment that is well proven to be a failure in application. Unless you are a mincing tranyy wannabe that is.

Now in gun games it is somewhat believable to have very deadly females but please don't make them able to wrestle doen people twice their size as well.

^ Top  
  4. Zomggender: ⚧ Arbiter

Zomg
    Parrots:
    I can handle it if the work is self-consciously retarded the way comic books and trope-y sci-fi and so on are. No one in comic books ever pesters other characters about why they wear elaborate costumes (without being tongue-in-cheek anyway) or why the heck can't they make a little more of the Superpower Potion that made Francis Fagmeat into Captain Amazing; you're just not functioning on that level of verisimilitude.

^ Top  
  5. fizzelopegussgender: ⚧ Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    Parrots:
    Ohh dear, i can't possibly handle amazon bitches designed to appeal to the other half of the RPG/fantasy market. It just totally ruins the stoic seriousness of my favourite bronzed, oily, wiry muscled berserker characters.

^ Top  
  6. fizzelopegussgender: ⚧ Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    Parrots:
    You're going to die alone.

^ Top  
  7. Awor Szurkrarzgender: ⚧ Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    I remember being horribly disappointed when I have seen an interview with a female kickboxer champion and heard her saying that she wouldn't have a chance in a fight with a decent male kickboxer and that the idea is idiotic because strength and stuff like it are important when she was asked if she thinks she would be able to fight on equal footing with men.

^ Top  
  8. Khor1255gender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Khor1255
    Parrots:
    Any statistics or even anecdotal evidence to back up trhis claIM?

^ Top  
  9. PorkaMorkagender: ⚧ Arcane

PorkaMorka
    Parrots:
    So I was reading acclaimed fantasy novelist Patrick Rothfuss's neckbeard self insert wankfest novel "Wise Man's Fear" and I finally found the ultimate example of this cliche.

Rothfuss's martial arts teacher character states (paraphrasing) "Men are too aggressive and impatient, that's why women are better at fighting". This point is then reiterated and defended as true.

I need to stop reading this genre and get into historical fiction or something.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. I'm With Her Vaarna_Aarnegender: ⚧ for prison Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    Parrots:
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    That is what happens when someone mistakes medieval armed combat for a board game.

^ Top  
  11. Awor Szurkrarzgender: ⚧ Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
  12. Randomgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Random
    Parrots:
    See, the whole problem is that people seem to mistake games for real life.

^ Top  
  13. Satori (original)gender: ⚧ Arbiter

Satori (original)
    Parrots:
  14. Awor Szurkrarzgender: ⚧ Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    I quit watching when I saw the whole women need to make push-ups on their knees thing. Why are American women unable to do normal push-ups?

^ Top  
  15. Edward_R_Murrowgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Edward_R_Murrow
    Parrots:
    They need to keep those knees strong...they might spend a lot of time on them.

^ Top  
  16. GarfunkeLgender: ⚧ Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    Parrots:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eva_Wahlstr%C3%B6m

Eva Wahlström, a Finnish female boxer said the same thing in an interview, when the reporter asked if she wants to get into ring with men at some point. In addition, she said that her biggest fear are drunken fools who come up to her in a nightclub and challenge her to arm wrestling or even actual fights.

^ Top  
  17. Wunderpurpsgender: ⚧ Educated

Wunderpurps
    Parrots:
    In Dr. Who almost every single couple is interracial. Which I don't mind in itself but it's pretty obvious tokenism of black dudes who have no real place on the show. Next we will have two men kiss we are so shocking and edgy.

^ Top  
  18. Awor Szurkrarzgender: ⚧ Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    That's what happens when fantasy litterature promotes such dangerous ideals.

^ Top  
  19. Make America Great Again Jackgender: ⚧ █▓▒░

Jack
    Parrots:
    How is this thread still not in retardo land?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. I'm With Her Vaarna_Aarnegender: ⚧ for prison Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    Parrots:
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    nomask and crew.

^ Top  
  21. Damned Registrationsgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    Parrots:
    Fixed.

Unless you're going to argue that women were behind pretty much every testosterone dredged macho action film ever made.

The idea that men are aggressive impatient brutes is retarded, but it's mostly passed around by aggressive impatient brutes (or depictions thereof by wannabes) who insist that it is what it means to be a man. Aggressive impatient brutish women (bitches) tend to insist that they're actually being perfectly reasonable.

^ Top  
  22. Raghargender: ⚧ Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    I never understand the obsession with push ups. In the real world military ops, they are irrelevant.

In fact she can lift far more than children, yet some children were known to be able to pack HMG/RPGs/explosives move it into position and do an ambush.

^ Top  
  23. Spectaclegender: ⚧ Arcane

Spectacle
    Parrots:
    Push ups are a decent way to build upper-body strength that
    *Doesn't require any equipment
    *Can easily be done as a unit

This makes them perfect for military training. In addition, they are boring and unpleasant, so doing them conditions a soldier to do boring and unpleasant tasks when ordered.

^ Top  
  24. DraQgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Parrots:
    Bitches? You've just described modern day feminists.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)