Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Felipepepe's Videogame History Articles Thread

Ninjerk

Arcane
cut > uncut

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, the uncut version is more of a rant, part of which I already posted here. And you need to keep a central structure in an article like this, or most points you make will be lost.

But this is a forum, so we can debate it ad infinitum. For example, has there ever been a conservative RPG? I know some people say "orcs are black people written by racists!", but I mean explicit political dialog, not undertones.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, the uncut version is more of a rant, part of which I already posted here. And you need to keep a central structure in an article like this, or most points you make will be lost.

But this is a forum, so we can debate it ad infinitum. For example, has there ever been a conservative RPG? I know some people say "orcs are black people written by racists!", but I mean explicit political dialog, not undertones.

Depends what you mean by "conservative". If you mean "Republican values :kwanzania:" then probably not.

But I would call Betrayal at Krondor a straight-up conservative story in the "For king and country!" sense. It's a fantasy patriotism simulator.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dragon Commander was such a great game, it saddens me that we will likely never see a sequel. Props for mentioning it in your article, felipepepe! :salute:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Eh, seems like Gamasutra won't promote nor feature my article in the front page... what a shame.

I wonder if I made some inside enemies in the past months...

Arulan

Cipher
Why do you keep linking to those cucks?

Why not? There is a CRPG community there, and despite this, I feel topics of importance should get as much exposure and discussion as possible. What does your political opinions of them have anything to do with discussing the article, aside from the irony of it all?

Ninjerk

Arcane

Why not? There is a CRPG community there, and despite this, I feel topics of importance should get as much exposure and discussion as possible. What does your political opinions of them have anything to do with discussing the article, aside from the irony of it all?
Are you sure you understand irony, or are you unaware that the author was banned from that discussion forum for saying a word?

Arulan

Cipher
Are you sure you understand irony, or are you unaware that the author was banned from that discussion forum for saying a word?

I'm quite aware of it, and in fact I was present in the thread when he was banned. It's unfortunate, but even that isn't relevant to my previous post. I would imagine (correct me if not) felipepepe would like to see active discussion of his article, even on GAF.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, I write those to be debate & shared. Feel free to post it wherever you want. I appreciate you sharing it, shame Gamasutra didn't like it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
But this is a forum, so we can debate it ad infinitum. For example, has there ever been a conservative RPG?
Dungeons & Dragons. ;)

Much of the fantasy literature from which RPGs are derived has conservative political undertones, of various tendencies, and as a consequence CRPGs are frequently implicitly conservative in their worldview without having any explicit politics.

pippin

Mans measured by his enemies
I'm such a great man.
:ehue:

hqdefault.jpg

But this is a forum, so we can debate it ad infinitum. For example, has there ever been a conservative RPG?
Dungeons & Dragons. ;)

Much of the fantasy literature from which RPGs are derived has conservative political undertones, of various tendencies, and as a consequence CRPGs are frequently implicitly conservative in their worldview without having any explicit politics.

It's actually kind of funny when you meet communist people who don't see anything wrong with supporting characters like nobles or kings. Most of my friends who are into GoT are leftists, and none of them sees the absence of the common folk in the series as a bad thing.
Hell, even the "common" people who are relevant to the series are nobles (bastards but still).

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Yes, for example, few RPGs infringe on the right to bear arms and stand your ground.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Honestly, I get most of my audience from Reddit and NeoGAF reposts... but I'm banned there, so can't barge in to argue stupid things people say. :/

:lol:

Who cares, GAF's mods are oversensitive kids on a power trip, that doesn't mean posters there are all idiots.

Uh...actually, the fact that people either don't mind, or seem to prefer discussing a topic under a regime of strict censorship does paint them as idiots.

This isn't [Insert Dictatorship Country Shithole of choice here] where people aren't left with any other choice...this is the internet. No one is forcing anyone to post on NeoGAF, or the Codex, or social media.

:Flash:

Arcane
That article began quite good, but I have to disagree very much with citing Dragon Commander as a positive example.
If you want to make a game about modern day politics, then do it. Just don't pretend it's a Fantasy game.

The article sounds like you really want all RPGs to be ruined by discussion about worker unions, gay marriage and tax deducible craftsmen bills.
I think it's very lazy design by the developers. If their fantasy world doesn't lend itself to interesting political decisions and dilemmata, there's probably something wrong with the world building itself and the solution should not be to ham-fistedly insert real-world conflicts.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Have you not read it until the end? Dragon Commander did use politics almost as a separate mini-game, but Arcanum incorporated them deep into its setting.

Politics go far beyond "worker unions, gay marriage and tax deducible craftsmen bills", and in Arcanum it impacts everything - from Caladon being in ruins and hating technology to Tarant becoming a Republic, P. Schuyler & Sons employing zombie dwarfs and Gnomes breeding Half-Ogres to protect themselves. That's a living, breathing world.

Skyrim, for example, would benefit greatly from setting power relations between the factions. Since the realm is in a civil war, give me a quest about trying to demand the College of Winterhold help the Empire, or replacing the headmaster for a Pro-Nord one, or blowing the whole place up if they oppose your faction... that IS politics.

:Flash:

Arcane
Have you not read it until the end? Dragon Commander did use politics almost as a separate mini-game, but Arcanum incorporated them deep into its setting.
Of course I did, I just disagreed with your choice of Dragon Commander as a positive example. I didn't comment on Arcanum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom