Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Felipepepe's article on getting the correct aspect ratio in DOS games

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
HAVE YOU LEARNED NOTHING? FFS:

P2kGJ37.jpg

:Flash:

Arcane
I share felipepepe's detestation of incorrectly scaled games.
Unfortunately, the only DosBox configuration that correctly scales games on my PC is using DirectDraw as a video ouput, and that doesn't work on Linux. :argh:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Felipe, Pablo, Diego, José, Francisco de Paula, Juan Nepomuceno, Maria de los Remedios, Cipriano de la Santisima Trinidad, Ruiz Picasso, Pepe deserves to be featured. Beats the other shit you often see on Gamasutra.

A user named cat

felipepepe said:
Personally, I think the last option is the best – upscaling 5x/6x first, then downscaling with a bilinear resampling. Games didn't look all that sharp back then, so a bit of blurriness is an acceptable tradeoff for a more faithful image.
I never use or recommend bilinear for any emulator, it looks terrible. Blurring is never a good thing regardless of what you're trying to recreate or what size you screenshot. For DOS - nothing beats 5x nearest neighbor scaling and retaining complete pixel sharpness. You're playing on a monitor, not a 1990's screen. Take advantage of it.

This is all incredibly easy to achieve by just using D-Fend:

This article should also be extended to all the people on Youtube who upload LP's of emulated console games stretched to widescreen, then calling the footage "HD". I always notice this with PS1 footage. Drives me nuts and looks horrible. Really the worst offenders though are those who stretch and filter SNES games which look best at 8:7 as originally intended.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I never use or recommend bilinear for any emulator, it looks terrible. Blurring is never a good thing regardless of what you're trying to recreate or what size you screenshot. For DOS - nothing beats 5x nearest neighbor scaling and retaining complete pixel sharpness. You're playing on a monitor, not a 1990's screen. Take advantage of it.
The bit you quoted was specifically about how to create a decent 640x480 screenshot to use on websites. Using 5x to play is cool and everything, but posting a 1600x1200 screenshot of a DOS game isn't really a viable solution most of the time.

crufty

Arcane
shouldn't 320x200 -> 320x240 for vga games?
Yes, but if you simply do that you'll get a heavily distorted image.

hmm not sure we are on same...
code:yeah:
...page here...

when you say 320x200, don't you mean 320x240 for vga games? That is the resolution of VGA iirc: 320x240 x 256 colors...

ninja edit: nope! my bad. 320x240 is modex VGA. 320x200 is VESA VGA...carry on!

Last edited:

A user named cat

The bit you quoted was specifically about how to create a decent 640x480 screenshot to use on websites. Using 5x to play is cool and everything, but posting a 1600x1200 screenshot of a DOS game isn't really a viable solution most of the time.
Ah okay, I missed that detail.
How do you get factor 5? When I try to edit the graphics options in D-Fend I only see up to Factor 3?
I had to add it in manually. I also use Daum SVN build of DOSbox as I'm not sure the regular builds support the higher scaling options but I might be wrong. Here's how you add the option yourself:

File-> Program Options... -> Default Values (under Profile Editor section)
Make sure you're in advanced mode (bottom right corner)
From the "Category" dropdown menu, choose "(DOSBox) Scale"
Add in "Nearest neighbor upscaling with factor 5 (normal5x)"
Done

DraQ

Arcane
I think I should add that old CRTs and (in case of for example C64 games) TVs did do wonders for visible image quality.

They produced less perfect images, but when the source image was already low res and possibly even tailored to exploit the display device's imperfections, the overall effect was a much better look.

:Flash:

Arcane
I think I should add that old CRTs and (in case of for example C64 games) TVs did do wonders for visible image quality.

They produced less perfect images, but when the source image was already low res and possibly even tailored to exploit the display device's imperfections, the overall effect was a much better look.
Case in point CGA composite mode.
Most people possibly don't even realize that some emulated/screenshot CGA games look nothing like the game is supposed to look.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom