Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Felipe Pepe at Gamasutra: Why are we abandoning gaming history?

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Any idea, or mock up pictures on how it would look like in the actual book?
It would look just like the articles I post here, 8x10", full color and all. I find it unacceptable to talk about vidya gaems with P&B pictures. Here's a (old) mock up:

qSFwfMD.png

The low price is because is a nonprofit book, and authors usually take a big share when self-publishing. I mean, imagine selling it at 25 dollars, for a $12 profit per book... I sell 1000 books, get 12k dollars, that's 28k BR moni; that's a annual salary or a popular car in my garage.

But I don't drive.
:gumpyhead:
I love you, long time! And definitly day one purchase.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
felipepepe said:
As you said, we lost depth and complexity, that were never replaced. I not against making streamlined games, but I want to play old-school games as well. Instead, we have dishonesty, empty promises. An iconic example is Broken Age. Tim Schafer took money over the promise of classic adventure game, yet delivered a dumbed down casual game. And was praised by the press for that.

Yes! Promised a 'classic point-and-click adventure', delivered little more than an interactive picture book.:S An unfinished interactive picture book! Still got universal acclaim. Mindblowing.:S

Nyast

Cipher
I'd also prefer a printed book rather than an e-book. I think $25 would be more than fine. In fact I could probably go up to $50, however that would depend on the shipping prices too.

Gregz

Arcane
felipepepe is right, but consider the scope of the problem.

Books, or the written word, haven't changed significantly since the invention of the printing press. With some basic education it's even possible to read a play by Shakespeare and not only know what's going on, but appreciate it deeply.

In film you have three distinct eras:
  • Silent films
  • "Talkies"
  • Color
Very few silent films are appreciated today, they are cataloged and listed as being 'important', but go largely unseen. You won't find them on your cable station. In the case B&W films with sound, certain classics like Citizen Kane, Casablanca and Seven Samurai (timeless stories married with an accessible interface) remain appreciated, but only the very best of that era are shown on cable. The introduction of color was the final innovation that cemented what we know and accept as film, these are 95% of the films you'll see on television today. The lesson here is that as technology advances, people have less and less patience for the older interfaces (silent films or black and white with sound). The film has to be exceptional for the viewer to forgive the aged interface.

Computer games suffer the same problem, except much more so. They are terribly complex program/interfaces which span across many dimensions of evolution, accessibility and trending such as:
  • Interface (command line, 2D, introduction of the mouse, isometric, side scrollers, 1st person 3D, 3D Avatars, etc.)
  • Controller (joystick, gamepad, lightgun, foot pedals, driving wheels, mouse, keyboard, etc.)
  • Platform (arcade games, early consoles, pre-microsoft PCs, microsoft PCs, 2nd gen consoles, heavy GPU based games, next gen consoles)
  • Type (fighting games, side scrollers, simulators, RPG, FPS, TBS, RTS, etc.)
  • Setting (Fantasy, Modern, Mystery, Horror, Science Fiction, War, etc.)
Then even more complicating, there's the issue of games that were bad as a whole but introduced one great technical innovation (such as allowing the user to map their own keys). Should that bad game be remembered, or just the good feature it introduced? Aren't they two different things? Aren't there hundreds of such examples in gaming history?

Ultimately a 'good' game offers immersion, atmosphere, and compelling gameplay.

Unfortunately there is no uniform interface for games across their time of inception (as there are with books, films, etc.). People know how to read a book, they know how to watch a film, but they have to learn how to interact with each and every new game they attempt to play. Some are very easy (pong), some are very difficult (NetHack, Dwarf Fortress, System Shock, Gothic). So difficult in fact that most modern gamers will be so frustrated by the interface that they quit after 5 minutes and turn to something else. The game may be a classic, but if the interface renders it inaccessible, it may as well not exist (for 99% of gamers).

And let's face it, to some extent we are all graphics whores. It's just a question of where you personally draw the line, and everyone's threshold is different there as well.

Certain interface decisions, platform availability, insufficient hardware or OS to play a game, and better looking iterations of an original but graphically outdated concept muddy the waters incredibly.

Thus, trying to compare 'computer games', or even just cRPGs, is comparing apples to oranges to grapefruit to pine trees. It just doesn't makes sense. Film, literature, music, visual art, sculpture and other classical art forms don't have this problem because there is a relatively universal interface of accessibility. A painting is framed and viewed, music is heard, sculpture is regarded from various angles. How are we to objectively compare computer games? We can't even agree on what an RPG is.

Last edited:

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
felipepepe is not comparing CRPGs and movies.

All he's saying that you can learn as a computer game designer from games of the past.

That you can learn from history is accepted in other arts. Not so much in art of making computer games.
Many old cool game mechanics are lost or streamlined. The variety of game elements used today is often less than 25 years ago.

Look at a game like Pirates! and how many different game elements are used in this game. Action, strategy, tactic, weather, roleplaying ... all in one game.
Only a few dare to do this nowadays. In the C64 & Amiga days every other week a game with new gameplay elements came on the market.
Today everybody is playing safe.
Main cause: Making a game was much cheaper in the old days and the risk was not so high.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Books, or the written word, haven't changed significantly since the invention of the printing press. With some basic education it's even possible to read a play by Shakespeare and not only know what's going on, but appreciate it deeply.

A Midsummer Night's Dream said:
ACT I

SCENE I. Athens. The palace of THESEUS.

Enter THESEUS, HIPPOLYTA, PHILOSTRATE, and Attendants

THESEUS
Now, fair Hippolyta, our nuptial hour
Draws on apace; four happy days bring in
Another moon: but, O, methinks, how slow
This old moon wanes! she lingers my desires,
Like to a step-dame or a dowager
Long withering out a young man revenue.
HIPPOLYTA
Four days will quickly steep themselves in night;
Four nights will quickly dream away the time;
And then the moon, like to a silver bow
New-bent in heaven, shall behold the night
Of our solemnities.​

You are absolutely DELUSIONAL if you think that the average Joe can grab this and read it casually. There's a reason why these books have half the pages taken by annotations. The big difference is that people can lie that they understand a book, they can flip pages and get a general idea of what's going on.

Last edited:
Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
felipepepe is right, but consider the scope of the problem.

I partly agree with you but keep in mind that appreciating century-year old literature does not only require "basic education", but often also a deep knowledge about the historic circumstances it was written in, the literary and stylistic tropes that were typical for that time, familiarity with the author's biography etc. And don't even get me started about "ye olde language" that can be hard to understand even for native speakers of the language the work was written in.

Stuff like Dante's Divine Comedy or Homer's Illiad is as inaccessible to your average modern reader as "Battlecruiser Potemkin" is to the average movie goer or Wizardry I to the average modern gamer. Yet in the case of case of literature and film, there's a huge number of amateur and professional enthusiasts who make a conscious intellectual effort to understand and appreciate the works of the past. With games, there's still to few people who are doing it, especially among those who call themselves "games journalists". And I think that's the point felipepe is making.

Unintuitive UIs and ugly graphics can be a serious problem, but for myself I have that discovered that all it takes is some time to get used to it. I'm playing games right now that just 2 or 3 years ago seemed absolutely inaccessible to me.

EDIT: Bah, felipepe beat me to it.

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane
You are absolutely DELUSIONAL if you think that the average Joe can grab this and read it casually. There's a reason why these books have half the pages taken by annotations. The big difference is that people can lie that they understand a book, they can flip pages and get a general idea of what's going on.

Relax and please re-read my entire post.

I personally love Shakespeare and can read and understand what you quoted just fine, but then English is my 1st language. As we've just seen, the interface determines what we can experience, which was one of my main points.

With games, there's still too few people who are doing it, especially among those who call themselves "games journalists". And I think that's the point felipepe is making.

And I think we both agree with him, my point is how difficult and fundamentally "unscientific" that process is when compared to other artistic media.

Last edited:

Archibald

Arcane
I wonder if someone will ever try to make a book about MMORPG history? Unless it could be summarized as "WoW lol" then I imagine it would be pain in the ass with MMOs closing down doors and becoming unplayable every week.

A bit related, but not so long ago Mobygames almost "died". Sure, they have lots of problems but at least they attempt to document various information about games (and old games too) that isn't available elsewhere. Anyway, they almost went under and nobody gave a shit, everybody was more interested in newest Call of Duty clone.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You know what's even worse than game journos not knowing their shit? Game publishers and developers treating the old fanbase like an obstacle. Such as the Thief community was treated by the Thi4f developers - always reminding them of what features Thief had and complaining that those are being cut, openly complaining on their community forums (TTLG and our Codex Thi4f thread we had), etc. The devs want to make their own "vision" which has little to do with the series the game is supposed to be a sequel to, and anyone who remembers the old game and reminds people how good it was and demands from the devs to keep to the spirit of the original is seen as someone who has to be appeased with empty promises or shitty compromises; an obstacle to their pure popamole concept. An enraged fanbase is going to hurt the game's reputation, so it has to be avoided, but they are still considered "enemies of progress".

It was similar with Bethesda and Fallout 3 (NMA and the Codex) or, to a much more limited extent, Bethesda and Oblivion (only the Codex and VD's infamour review, as far as I'm aware). Those "old fans" of the series are considered the "bad guys" because they hate "innovation" and instead of praising the game unconditionally, they always recall that the previous games in the series were actually better than that new one.

This is devs and publishers purposefully trying to bury the past so their new game doesn't need to live up to past standards.

Zeriel

Arcane
You know what's even worse than game journos not knowing their shit? Game publishers and developers treating the old fanbase like an obstacle. Such as the Thief community was treated by the Thi4f developers - always reminding them of what features Thief had and complaining that those are being cut, openly complaining on their community forums (TTLG and our Codex Thi4f thread we had), etc. The devs want to make their own "vision" which has little to do with the series the game is supposed to be a sequel to, and anyone who remembers the old game and reminds people how good it was and demands from the devs to keep to the spirit of the original is seen as someone who has to be appeased with empty promises or shitty compromises; an obstacle to their pure popamole concept. An enraged fanbase is going to hurt the game's reputation, so it has to be avoided, but they are still considered "enemies of progress".

It was similar with Bethesda and Fallout 3 (NMA and the Codex) or, to a much more limited extent, Bethesda and Oblivion (only the Codex and VD's infamour review, as far as I'm aware). Those "old fans" of the series are considered the "bad guys" because they hate "innovation" and instead of praising the game unconditionally, they always recall that the previous games in the series were actually better than that new one.

This is devs and publishers purposefully trying to bury the past so their new game doesn't need to live up to past standards.

Partly its incompetence, but I suspect the shotcallers have a much different motivation: they could possibly make a good sequel happen, but they understand that the niche elements that would make up that good sequel would make the title not profitable by their standards, and hence shit.

It's quite possible to explain the entire school of modern game design thought ("streamlined is better", "challenge isn't fun", et cetera) as an ex post facto justification for whatever it takes to move the most boxes. Our rare glimpses behind the scenes generally bear out this theory (Jake Solomon of X-COM was ready to make a super hardcore game, but the rest of the company pulled him up short). Modern game publishers aren't necessarily idiots or incompetent, they just don't want to fund a good game. It's entirely beside the point, and in most cases runs counter to the point, which is making the most money.

The moment developers are freed of the shackles of absurdly high sales expectations, they miraculously develop the ability to create niche games with deep mechanics again, as so recently proven by Divinity: Original Sin.

Archibald

Arcane
I wouldn't consider any of Larians games popamole (Beyond Divinity was bad but that was mostly due to other reasons than not wanting to make complex game) so I always viewed D:OS as natural progression of their previous stuff.

Zeriel

Arcane
I wouldn't consider any of Larians games popamole (Beyond Divinity was bad but that was mostly due to other reasons than not wanting to make complex game) so I always viewed D:OS as natural progression of their previous stuff.

Real-time and action combat were mandated by publishers. Divine Divinity was going to be turn-based, but no one would fund them until they changed it. Because you know, it "doesn't sell".

Then their first turn-based game sells the most of any of their titles.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
after all these years i am still surprised that people take what i write seriously

:Flash:

Arcane
Very good article, Felipe.
There is an entire dimension to this that is not discussed in the article. When I started reading, I thought it was going to be about actual preservation of the games. There is a huge effort to restore movie classics that are found in some backwater archive (e.g. Metropolis), and the certain loss of many defining movies from the early era is widely mourned, yet the same thing is happening to games, and (except for some enthusiasts), nothing is done about it. In fact it is getting much worse, with games working only as long as the company server exists. Yet nobody cares.

Of course this has to do with how video games are viewed in society. Despite claims to the contrary by some indie hipsters, games are not regarded as a form of art. In Germany, this is even enshrined in law: Movies are art, therefore the Indiana Jones movies are allowed to be shown freely on TV, because art is an explicit exception to the swastika ban. Games are considered toys, therefore the uncensored Indiana Jones games (containing swastikas) are not even allowed to be sold.
Similarly, there are laws that require book and movie publishers to hand in copies of everything to the national archives, yet the same is not true for toys, nor for games.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yes, I should have been more specific on this. if the guys on cyber1 close down, there will be no way to play PLATO games anymore. Is like losing the ability to reproduce A Man Sneezes or A Train Goes By.

Drakron

Arcane
Dont worry, in a few years you can talk on the History Channel about Ancient Developers and say "I am not saying it was Black Isle but ..."

You will have to get a Centauri hairstyle however.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Bro, why do you think that the most famous CRPG creator of all times used his money to go to space?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom